Author Topic: Do we have any speaker builders here?  (Read 47765 times)

WEEZ

Do we have any speaker builders here?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 06:07:36 PM »
Ryno,

In the link you provided, it looks like he built those sealed....did I read that correctly?

WEEZ

Ryno

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 07:21:42 PM »
http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=9891&highlight=adire+extremis

Weez
This is the first thread where the design was made. It's kind of long, but at the end he shows pictures of his ported boxes, HUGE.
I think I remember something about the guy going to school, maybe he needed smaller boxes for that. Looked like the baffle size was the same, so the xover should be the same.
Ryan

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 06:22:44 AM »
I've not built any for a long long time.  I may be building some in the near future.  Thinking of working with Rick Craig of Selah on a custom design.  

I just got his SSR's in as a trial and demo set for the STL guys to check out.  I'll post the findings once I get a good handle on them.  They're available as a kit or prefinished.  The ones he sent are in piano black and are gorgeous.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

WEEZ

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 07:38:34 AM »
Bryan,

Can't wait to hear your comments. As you may remember, we exchanged e-mails re: the ScanSpeak mid/woofs.

(I wonder how an Extemis 6.8 or a SS Revelator would match up with an OW1fs....)

WEEZ

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 11:40:42 AM »
You're reading my mind WEEZ.  I'm thinking about a 2.5 way with 2 7" SS Revelators and an OW1.  Still wrestling with ideas before I get with Rick.

Bryan

WEEZ

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 12:53:46 PM »
I'll bet if the OW1fs (ferro version) was used with the 7" Revelator in the SSR box, you could use a 2.5khz c/o point 4th order. Dennis Murphy estimated maybe a 2nd order @ 3khz.  :)

I'll also bet you wouldn't need much of a pad on the tweet either....

In room response would be pretty deep..no sub required.  :D

=P~

WEEZ

WEEZ

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 02:40:52 PM »
So Bryan, any comments on the SSR's? Inquiring minds....

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
They're still breaking in.  I just have them upstairs at this point.  Don't want to say too much until I get them on my good equipment and in a controlled room environment.

I will say that they have an exceptional bottom end - which is to be expected with that woofer.  I'll have more in a couple of weeks.  Am supposed to get my Stratos Extreme Mono SE's next week so more breakin there.

Bryan

WEEZ

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 04:30:30 PM »
:D

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 06:25:39 AM »
One thing I will say is that they're really surprising me just on a receiver right now.  My Snells didn't perform well at all with the receiver compared to my good system.  Very 'blah' (technical term there  :roll: ) - no life, no dynamics, no bottom end, typical mosfet mist sound.  The SSRs don't sound that way at all.  I'm suspecting they're a lot easier to drive than the specs would indicate.

Can't wait to get some real juice on them and a good source/DAC/pre and see what they'll do.

Bryan

WEEZ

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2007, 06:43:36 AM »
The impedence curve is sure friendly, allright. That makes a bigger difference than sensitivity, IMO....

Looking forward to further thoughts.

WEEZ!

WEEZ

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 05:40:36 PM »
Ryno,

I've read thru the links you posted...sounds like he built (2) versions...first one ported in a really deep box; second one sealed in a smaller (but still relatively large) box.

Anyway, FWIW..I've communicated with both the designer and users of the NSM Model 10 and Model 10S speakers. (I've actually heard the Model 15 at a friend's a few years back). For a small room, these sealed speakers would be a good option. These speakers are no joke.

www.nsmaudio.com

I am biased..I really like sealed speakers. They integrate well into any sized room easier than ported boxes- at least in my experience. My Merlin TSM's play in small and large rooms equally well.

WEEZ

Ryno

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 06:14:40 PM »
They look nice Weez, but a little spendy for the bedroom system. The SSR's are the most I'm willing to go, maybe even too high. I priced out the extremis/seas from:
http://home.twcny.rr.com/cnydga/extremis.html
It's about $440 before shipping. We'll see. :)
Ryan

WEEZ

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 07:33:40 PM »
gonna build 'em sealed?

Ryno

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 08:12:44 PM »
Anything for this room has to be sealed. 10'x12'x9', speakers on a dresser, with the fronts about 1.5' from the wall, and the listening position up against the rear wall. Lots of boom. Everything I've tried ported was too much bass. Right now I have a pair of kit 41's from DIY cable sealed because ported was too much. My only worry with the extremis is the 80db sensitivity, all I have is 30 watts. But for a bedroom system I don't need it too loud.