Author Topic: SP technology speakers  (Read 42472 times)

Bigfish8

SP Tech Timepiece 2.1 Speakers
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2007, 02:04:50 PM »
Per my previous post I recently ordered the SP Technology Timepiece 2.1 Speakers with the old standard Studio Finish.  Many of you are aware that SP Tech. recently upgraded the crossover in the Timepieces to Mundorf which is considered as a serious upgrade to the previous crossovers.  Bob of SP Tech sent me a PM with an offer of the Timepiece 2.1's which I decided to purchase.  A portion of his message and his thoughts about the new "standard crossover in the 2.1's" is included below:

"That price includes the Excel woofers, Cardas binding posts and tweeter wire and all Mundorf crossover parts (Standard crossover).

If you have read my recent post on the subject, I have been quite impressed with these "standard" Mundorf components.  You can read the break down of what is included on the Mundorf/Crossover price list on our circle.  IMHO, they sound so good that I can't see justifying the cost of going with any of the higher cost Mundorf parts for the Timepieces."

Honestly, I must include the comment that I am/was trying to purchase the best possible sound quality for the least amount of dollars.  Bob was not telling me the Full Monty Crossover would not sound better, he was just saying it would be difficult for me to justify.  I certainly would not be able to justify the Full Monty until I have all top notch components connected to the speakers.  However, when I reach that point I will be likely moving up the SP Tech Speaker Chain and moving the 2.1's to a side or rear position in my HT Set-up.

Ken

Double Ugly

SP technology speakers
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2007, 05:58:01 PM »
As I said on the phone, given where you are in your quest for 2-channel goodness, I wouldn't even consider upgrading the crossover now.  My previous post in this thread was meant only as a reminder that, as good as you will soon have it, it can be even better if you wish to go 'whole hog' in the future.

Point being, I consider the crossover upgrade an option for future consideration, way in the future.  It is not now nor will it ever be an imperative.  Shoot, I don't even have *my* Timepieces upgraded.

I think you did an outstanding job of getting maximum performance for the $$$ spent.  Spending more now would be silly IMO... or worse.

-Jim

lonewolfny42

SP technology speakers
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2007, 07:21:13 AM »
Jim is correct....take your time....enjoy....its not a race. :wink:

............... Chris

Bigfish8

Timepiece 2.1's
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2007, 09:10:45 AM »
Guys, I am a month and a half away from having my amps, preamp and speakers.  I don't have any interest in even considering upgrading the crossovers in the speakers.  Based on my research there are very few that even own the speakers with the woofer and crossover I will be receiving.  There are even fewer, if any, that have heard the 2.1's with higher order crossovers.  

I hope the 2.1's will make me as happy as they have many of you.  There seems to be one thing for certain about this hobby, no matter what speaker you have there is another one out there or an upgraded model to make you have the wants.  It reminds me very much of golf clubs.

I have reached the point where I am comfortable with my equipment and speaker choices.  Once I wrestle the Squeezebox Upgrade Question to conclusion I plan to be done for a long time.  I started this to build a good 2 channel music system as I was not happy with the 2 channel sound produced from my HT System.  If I am happy with the sound when the system comes together I do not plan on chasing the impossible dream of perfect sound.  I mean no disrespect to anyone but fishing and golf are my hobbies.

I appreciate all the advice I have obtained from many on this board and on AudioCircle.  In the end I am certain you have helped me achieve my goal of building a good sounding 2 channel system.

Ken

Offline Rob Babcock

• Seeking Help
Re: Timepiece 2.1's
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2007, 05:11:52 PM »
Quote from: "Bigfish8"

I have reached the point where I am comfortable with my equipment and speaker choices.  Once I wrestle the Squeezebox Upgrade Question to conclusion I plan to be done for a long time.  I started this to build a good 2 channel music system as I was not happy with the 2 channel sound produced from my HT System.  If I am happy with the sound when the system comes together I do not plan on chasing the impossible dream of perfect sound.  I mean no disrespect to anyone but fishing and golf are my hobbies.

Ken

You're a wiser man than most of us, Ken! :beer:   Many of use are too busy  ](*,)  #-o  to simply enjoy the music. :-({|=

Christof

Re: SP Tech Revelations
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2007, 01:56:11 PM »
Quote from: "TomS"
Back on topic...

I finally got to hear the standard Mundorf version Revelations for several hours today at  the SP Tech shop.  They are indeed the real deal.  Very nice, even listening in a giant wood shop  :D

The Odyssey Stratos Extreme Mono SE's are just what the doctor ordered for them - tight bass and very smooth.  We discovered the BEL 1001's are definitely NOT the Rev's cup 'o tea.  Final setup with Bolder SB2 -> Burson -> Odysseys worked very well.  Now let's see, FOUR Mono SE's passive biamped with Ultimate crossovers would be really nice  :shock:

No surprise that Bob and Mike were gracious hosts for almost a full day of fun (at least for me).  Thanks to both.

More to come later when I have a little more time.

Tom

Wish I would have been able to swing by Bob's shop to hear the Mono SE's with the Rev's.  I'm vertically biamping my Timepieces's with standard stereo Khartago amps and I need a bit more juice.

Bigfish

Enjoy your new Timepiece's :D    I'm curious to hear your impression of the Mono SE amps with your SP Tech speakers.  Can you give some information about your room size & layout?  It appears that there are 3 of us now using Odyssey amplification together with SP Tech speakers....yes, there is more than corn in Indiana!!!!!!