Author Topic: SP technology speakers  (Read 39980 times)

Double Ugly

SP technology speakers
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 01:39:03 PM »
Rich-
Yeah, Kandy enjoys listening to jazz stations via the modified Transporter, and endeavors to have pen and paper handy for those times she hears an artist/CD that speaks to her.  I usually listen to my ripped CDs, but I've been known to take the occasional stroll down the Internet music highway.  It really is a great way to discover music and artists you'd normally only find by happenstance.

shep-
I understand completely, my friend.  I'm not wealthy by any definition, but I am blessed to be able to make the rare fiscally irresponsible purchase without foregoing a roof or food.

The offer stands, though.  If nothing else, you and my wife can swap France stories while listening to wonderful music.  :wink:

-Jim

shep

SP technology speakers
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 03:06:26 PM »
mighty kind of you Jim to extend an invite to a total stranger. Nothing would please me more but I don't travel well! Always find a reason to not go somewhere. I had to be dragged by a girl friend to Morroco and Senegal these last years. Both places I love but I get anxiety attacks whanI'm more than 50 miles from home! Pretty set in my ways...I hate to travel but like being somewhere else...you figure. Internet lets us travel without moving from a chair. Pretty neat actually. Regarding audio gear, I have to really be carefull. I am prone to impulse buying. Of late that's proven fortuitous but it could turn the other way! Fortunately it's not so easy to order something from abroad and that gives time for reflexion.

lonewolfny42

SP technology speakers
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
Nick....
I'm looking forward to you TP review....make sure you use good stands.

Rich....
I am pretty sceptical, but I respect your opinions Jim and Chris. The Adagios surprised me with their good tone and decent bass response from small drivers, so maybe these will too. I'm always open minded and willing to learn new tricks, but also mindful of the limits of physics and the influence of the market.
I hope you get to hear a pair (TP's)....because their a lot better than the Adagios. And the Revelation's...well....they will just blow you away....their really that good.

Mike....
One of my nearby audioheads has a pair of Revelations coming soon. I'm excited to hear them.
Great....bring over your amps and preamp, try them out.

Jim....
With regards to distortion in the low frequencies, I believe you'll find that I, George Hoenninger (zybar), Scott Black (Freejazz) and others have all made statements to the effect that Revelations produce the best bass we've heard from any speaker or subwoofer, regardless of price.
Yep....same here. And I'm sure Steve Chang feels the same as well  (reefrus).

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
SP technology speakers
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 04:00:31 AM »
Thanks guys. My interest is piqued and my mind is wide open. You have set the expectations very high though....  :wink:

TGIF!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
SP technology speakers
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 06:29:37 AM »
Rich,
I'm still 'owed' a demo of a pair of TP's from SP... Let me know if I need to call in that favor.  I paid shipping for the first demo and Bob agreed to pay to hear some that weren't defective... Just let me know.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
SP technology speakers
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 10:26:28 AM »
Quote from: "Carlman"
Rich,
I'm still 'owed' a demo of a pair of TP's from SP... Let me know if I need to call in that favor.  I paid shipping for the first demo and Bob agreed to pay to hear some that weren't defective... Just let me know.
-C
Good luck.  I'm only an hour away from SP, visited the factory myself, and still haven't heard them  :(   One of these days...
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Double Ugly

SP technology speakers
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 11:41:11 AM »
Quote from: "TomS"
Rich,
-C
Good luck.  I'm only an hour away from SP, visited the factory myself, and still haven't heard them  :(   One of these days...
That can be a problem.   :(

Bob is still a small manufacturer who has yet to build a pair for himself, much less local auditions.  Keeping stock on hand is not a valid option either since it's expensive to build everything right there on the premises.  Having significantly less-expensive Chinese-built cabinets on hand for demo units or extra stock isn't an option either, at least not yet.  

If the audio world continues down the current path, it may become necessary for Bob to look elsewhere for cabinets despite the superior performance of SP Tech speakers in their current form.  As always, money talks, and even if SP Tech speakers are worth the extra expense, it will become increasingly difficult to convince folks to hear the difference for themselves due to the $$$ difference.

About the only way to get a local audition is to find out when a pair is nearing completion and catch him while they're burning-in.

-Jim

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
SP technology speakers
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 12:34:19 PM »
Rich, I'm still 'owed' a demo of a pair of TP's from SP... Let me know if I need to call in that favor.  I paid shipping for the first demo and Bob agreed to pay to hear some that weren't defective... Just let me know. -C

And miss my chance to go to Mississippi? haha   Thanks Carl, I will see where I stand when the dust settles here with speaker repairs, preamps, cables, etc. Lots of changes this spring. I will certainly keep that in mind as I read the reviews and keep hearing these guys drooling and bragging!  :wink:
Rich

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
SP technology speakers
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 01:25:20 PM »
Quote from: Double Ugly
Rich,
-C
About the only way to get a local audition is to find out when a pair is nearing completion and catch him while they're burning-in.

-Jim

Been there, tried that, no worky... :?
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
SP technology speakers
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 01:34:10 PM »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Nick....
I'm looking forward to you TP review....make sure you use good stands.

Hmmm...a review?? from me??   :wink: Well, I'll give it a go when the time comes. As to the stands, they will be SP's as well. Gotta check now with Bob to see when they'll be shipping   :)
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

shep

SP technology speakers
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 04:39:53 PM »
Just thought I'd play devils advocate and stir the pot a bit at AC about these. Well the opportunity was presented on a platter...can't seem to shake anything out of the tree except enthusiasm. You know what though?
I'm really very perverse :shock: Given the option I would buy ChairGuy's modified Maggies instead. Anybody understand me? Probably not...not sure I do either but that's just how it is.

Double Ugly

SP technology speakers
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 05:43:56 PM »
Been there, tried that, no worky... :?
What happened, or didn't happen as it were?

Quote from: "shep"
Just thought I'd play devils advocate and stir the pot a bit at AC about these. Well the opportunity was presented on a platter...can't seem to shake anything out of the tree except enthusiasm. You know what though?
I'm really very perverse :shock: Given the option I would buy ChairGuy's modified Maggies instead. Anybody understand me? Probably not...not sure I do either but that's just how it is.
I thought your post on AC was outstanding, just what Bob wanted IMO.  Honest and forthright w/o turning ultra-negative.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying about TCG's modified Maggies, though.  I'm sure they're less expensive than what some of us are buying, but otherwise I'm not sure there's a valid comparison there.

-Jim

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
SP technology speakers
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 06:25:19 PM »
Quote from: "shep"

I understand you, but can't go that direction. Have heard the Maggies at shows only...never owned them. An intriguing thought, but I need a more standard size (aka WAF) in my living room. IIRC, the H20's are quite the match for the Maggies.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

lonewolfny42

SP technology speakers
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 08:01:29 PM »
Come on Tom....try harder. Maybe you can have a listen to the new improved models that will be rolling out. And since you don't own SP Tech's (right)....it will be an unbiased opinion. 8)

...............Chris

shep

SP technology speakers
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2007, 11:14:25 PM »
I think what I mean is (bare with me): At this point in my life, with the life-style I have choosen, with that path (s) that has taken me, I would be uncomfortable with the SUPERLATIVE, with WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and anyway as far as speakers are concerned, there is no comparison possible. I've had a love affair with Maggies since my first pair of MG11's backin '79! I also know that with some fairly simple (and expensive!) modifications, they jump two classes. They were always held back by a the Frame and x'over. Why this has never been addressed by the company is totally beyond my understanding. I suspect the SP's are indeed something special, maybe something very SPECIAL. Am I a bit jaded and cynical? yes I admit to it. In 35 years of audio nervosa ( I was middle-aged before my time!) I have seen so many products proclaimed the ultimate statement...and  
then they are not, and so it goes on.