Author Topic: Theoretical speaker question  (Read 26986 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Theoretical speaker question
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2007, 11:51:19 AM »
Piega's, nice choice.

Enjoy.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

miklorsmith

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2007, 01:01:53 PM »
Nice Mike!  I'll look forward to checking 'em out.  I'd wait on the amp until you can put them through some paces and figure out what would compliment best.  It looks like their impedance is low (3 ohms) in the midbass (according to the Stereophile review) so the amp will probably be of the muscular, solid-state variety.

See suggestions here:

http://www.audionervosa.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=183     :D

When do they arrive?

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2007, 01:47:34 PM »
I was really interested in the Genesis 6.1 speakers, but I figured the large size and massive bass response would cause even more problems in my room. Hopefully, the 28hz low end of the Piegas will cooperate in my room.  

The Piegas are still fairly small, and I like the fact that the mid and tweet panels are combined, so there should not be as large a problem with integration while sitting at a fairly close distance.

I have heard a few other speakers with planar mids and tweets and did not care for the sound. (I know miklorsmith agrees with this) Those that I have talked to about the Piegas say the drivers are the most natural sounding they have heard.

I won't make any decisions on an amp for a while yet. I will use the speakers with the Bella for now and see how the combo sounds. A couple of amps that I do have in mind to check out are Van Alstine, Moscode or a mighty Mac.

I just made the deal, and I assume it will take about a week for the funds to clear and another week for the shipment to get here.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2007, 02:12:01 PM »
Congratulations! :)  :beer: I'm really excited for you, Mike.  I hope all goes well for the transaction and shipping... fingers crossed... [-o<

I can't wait to hear how you react to them....  I think you should listen on your current tube amp first.  Mine sounded pretty good on a Butler 2250 also... but the McIntosh just has a magical connection with the Piega's that have detail with finesse.  I went through a lot of iterations with Hantra... watched him try tons of amps.. worked for months on perfect placement.... and when he got it 'right'... and I mean really 'right' I had to have it.... but I couldn't afford it.  So, I have 'the little sister' to everything he has... except the speakers.  My P5's seem like a side-step from the C3's... not really better or worse... retail was similar...

Anyway, hope you enjoy them as much as Hantra and I have... Ever since I bought mine I feel like I've been 'done' looking for speakers.  

Congrats again... let us know how you like them...
I really enjoy listening to music.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2007, 09:43:39 PM »
Enjoy those new speakers Mike....I look forward to your review... :beer:

Now I've heard it from a reliable source.....a good match with the Piega's.....here....... :lol:

miklorsmith

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2007, 07:36:28 AM »
Soooo, I'm ready to hear them.  Are they on the way?  Can you shoot me a tracking number?   :lol:

miklorsmith

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2007, 10:11:56 AM »
Word on the street is that these were delivered.  Wuzzup?

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2007, 07:07:57 AM »
Right - enquiring minds want to know....

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

miklorsmith

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2007, 07:16:20 AM »
I have confirmation that the speakers were delivered and that they are better than the other Piegas.

*end transmission*

PLEASE GIVE US SOMETHING!   :D

Offline mca

• Certifiable
C8ltd in da house
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2007, 09:19:29 AM »
Yes, they are here and arrived without a scratch via Roadway. They are a significant step up in size, looks and sound from the C3 they are replacing.

The modded SB3/Bella combo does not seem to have the oompf to drive the speakers to their fullest, but it sounds pretty good at lower levels.

Low end is still lacking due to room problems, but there is a little more heft then there was before.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

miklorsmith

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2007, 09:33:48 AM »
*gasp*  We're going to have to measure your room, Mike!  Now if I can figure out how to run the measurement gear myself, we're in like Flynn.

I bet Tyson has a monster amp he could bring over.