Author Topic: Richidoo G2G - July 30  (Read 24636 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Richidoo G2G - July 30
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 02:52:13 PM »
I'm working hard on the acoustic treatments. It has been a bitch out in the heat, but they are almost done. I'm getting them painted and pretty so it is really, really done. So far, 3 new panels destined for the ceiling are totally done ready to hang with Carl tomorrow afternoon, hooks in ceiling, ready to hoist into place. A new left side wall treatment is sanded and prepped for painting tonight. Another plain panel without diffusion for rear wall is framed only. The folding wall and the front diffusion panel still need painting. Each of these panels is 4x8 or 4x6 feet, so it will sound either very much worse, or very much better. I think the midrange echo problem will be pretty much gone.  This is a 3 year old project, finally finishing!

I have stereofool's vintage Audio Research Reference components playing now, warming up and sounding great. A little too warm for my taste on these speakers which are already warm enough, but it sure sounds good. The Ref 1 preamp is a the beauty queen, makes any system sound sooo beautiful. Alternating amplifier duties with my Manleys, and i60.

Power supply parts are on their way from Mouser for the DAC, to make it self contained and mobile for home auditions. The DAC box is built, but I don't think there will be time to paint it for the meet.  The DAC has stolen the TTs power supply so I haven't listened to any vinyl for a week. Bummer!

I need to pull some stuffing out of the bass cabinets still, and build the feet before Carl's visit tomorrow. Tonight might run a little late, but the tubes will keep me company.

Yes, Mike please do bring Pete's PCs. It will be fun to hear them finally, especially in comparison to my Black Sands.  You don't need to bring anything else unless you desire a special kind of beer for yourself. Thanks!
Rich

Offline richidoo

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »
It is forecast to hit 104F on Saturday, so wear your turtlenecks. My wife says thank god it's not a "build your own acoustic panels party."

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 04:01:25 PM »
 :rofl:
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 10:55:14 PM »
Tom, maybe you can hitch a ride with BobM? He's beaming in at 2:30, but can only stay 30 minutes before he disapperates.
I dunno Rich, I'm not sure that the technology is stable enough yet to insure that we both end up with our own DNA when we get down to NC. And no offence, but if I an going to fantisize about activities that may eventually conclude with the swapping of DNA then 1) Bob wouldn't be part of the picture  :yay2: and 2) I would rather just do it the old fashioned way.  :drool:  :rofl:

We'll play a couple sides of Lee Morgan vinyl for ya, with all the purple wires connected!
:thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 05:09:10 AM »
Wise

mac5u

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 02:29:14 PM »
Best wishes for the G2G tomorrow, Rich.  Both my Zoe Lector and I, which I had promised you before, wish we could make the trip.  

I see that Shane is coming.  Now, I doubly wish I could come -- he sold me a Butler 5150 a few years ago.  I had a couple of questions for him that I never did get around to asking.  

Offline woofersus

• Certifiable
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »
I'm here in the Richmond, VA area with amp in tow, and ready to make the trip down in the morning.  Looking forward to meeting you guys tomorrow and listening to some great gear!
Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA

Offline richidoo

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
A few last minute things coming together still, but basically ready. Starts at 2pm, so don't leave too early Tim!

Offline woofersus

• Certifiable
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2011, 08:03:52 PM »
Well, not early, but still technically morning since it's about a 3.5hr drive. ;)
Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA

Offline richidoo

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 08:06:38 PM »
That's right, I always think Richmond is closer.
Drive safe Tim, see you tomorrow.
Rich

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »
It's now the evening of the 30th and nobody has chimed in on the fun today. Are you guys all still there?

WE WANT PICTURES!!!!
 :pics?:
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2011, 07:45:39 PM »
It's now the evening of the 30th and nobody has chimed in on the fun today. Are you guys all still there?

WE WANT PICTURES!!!!

You mean you didn't bring any pictures home with you when you teleported back to NY?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2011, 09:06:04 PM »
Midnight and Steve just left. We did a lot of listening today, I think everyone had fun. A few people took pictures so stay tuned! At the end we listened to vinyl through Steve's AR phono5 and ref3, and my Manley 300Bs. It was a nice sound, very satisfying. We're gonna have a vinyl only meet next time.

Thanks to Steve for hauling up half of his system, and for staying late, and driving far. Thanks to Tim for coming down to hang out with us and bringing the Melody AN300B. It was fun to hear it, and extremely well built. Thanks to Shane for bringing over his DAC and wires. Thanks to Anand for bringing his DAC. And thanks to Sol for bringing his i15, which opened some eyes big time. I got on the waiting list to buy one.

It's a big relief to have this meet behind me just because i did so many projects for the meet, which are now finished. Everyone commented on the acoustic treatments working very well. The speakers sounded good sometimes, and colored other times. With the 300B in parallel SE sounded best, because the color of the amps complemented the speakers color. With low distortion amps the speaker color was less pleasing.  The speakers are designed for SET amps, so there you go. I will continue to optimize them with some advice from Rick, Shane, Carl, and others. Thanks guys!

Thanks to everyone who came over today to make it a fun party.
Rich

evan1

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2011, 02:37:55 AM »

WE WANT PICTURES!!!!

You mean you didn't bring any pictures home with you when you teleported back to NY?

He can only teleport naked

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2011, 06:18:02 AM »

WE WANT PICTURES!!!!

He can only teleport naked

TMI 
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley