Author Topic: Improving picture Quality  (Read 9922 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Improving picture Quality
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:56:56 AM »
   Every time we have a visitor when the TV is on the compliments on the picture quality is always a given.
   With Alan Maher devices about. Those AM devices on the cable box entry point, AC plug, atop the wireless router and cable box make the picture clearer with deeper color. Blacks are blacker.
    Feeding the system is a Tice conditioner connected to  an isolation trannie. A PIAudio powercord to the cable box and TWL digital cord to the TV.
      An audioquest HDMI cable [ a cheapie ] from cable box and OH la La. A picture to die for.
    Check out that conditioner that makes your stereo sound shitty and use it with your TV.
      The biggest improvement as the Richard Grey Isolation trannie and TV powercord. Second Alan Maher. Go figure.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Improving picture Quality
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:09:38 AM »
I've got upgraded power cords on all the TV's. They plug into a DIY Felix power conditioner that Occam (Paul Kaplan) came up with (with a sufficiently sized Colicraft common mode choke).

As much as most of us hear a difference in our stereo's with power conditioners and cables, the immediate improvement in the TV picture quality is something that anyone with eyes can easily see and appreciate.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:17:27 PM »
Ahh Charles, you've hit a soft spot when it comes to picture quality. Being a sports fanatic (Boston Red Sox & Dallas Cowboys), picture quality ranks equal to audio quality. My whole A/V system runs into a BPT 2.5K balanced power conditioner that's connected to a PI Audio UltraBuss. My whole system sports as heavily on Bybee's as Charles leans on Maher and my video is no exception. My power cord is a VH Audio cord from the BPT to a Bybee power module to a Panasonic ST60 plasma (last year they made them). I use  DirecTv DVR that has 2 Bolder Bybee RF adapters to the satellite cables.

But for the ultimate picture quality gain, I can't recommend enough 2 items, an ISF calibration which I was done by Jim Doolitte of Boston and a Darbee Darblet which really makes the picture pop. Oppo uses the Darbee with their 103D Blu Ray but I like the Darblet for use with multiple sources (Blu Ray, DVD, DirecTv). The Darbee comes with the usual cheap wallwart PS which I was able to use 60% Darbee processing (out of 100%) before overprocessing showed up in the picture. Ultimately I would have loved to have replaced the wallwart PS with a linear PS (looking at around $200) but instead I could a medical SMPS on sale for $25 and I'm using another VH Audio PC. With the upgraded PS, my Darbee processing went up to 90%!

I round off highlighting picture quality with a back wall lit CinemaQuest Ideal-Lume 8K lighting that's set at 10% of the Panasonic light output.

I am so anal about PQ that I bought a set of 3D3 Universal active prescription 3D glasses from the UK so I wouldn't have to wear 2 sets of glasses for 3D movies which I personally can't get enough of, both at home & in the theatres. Such is my Nervosa.  :rofl:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:54:23 AM »
   Gee Man makes me want to come up and watch the game.  :drool:

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 11:07:10 AM »
Hi everyone

The biggest improvement to the picture for me was upgrading the power cord to my TV and plugging it into a old school Tice Power Block Isolation Transformer. The power cord is VH Audio DIY Clone that I bought from a audio tech in Rockville Centre some years ago.

Here is what I do in my HT set-up power wise for my TV etc.

Upgraded PS Audio Decora Outlet -> Pangea AC9 -> Emotiva CMX-6 -> Tice Power Block with upgraded Porter Port Outlets

With my sources for HT I got more incremental improvements by putting a Belkin HT Power filter, plugging all my sources into the Belkin, and then plugging that into the Tice Power Block. Eventually I changed the power cords on my players, HT Processors to the Belden 83803 cables.

The best thing after making all these changes was when my mother-in-law was watching a movie with my kids on this set-up and she kept complaining about colors being to vivid/birght etc. She then left the room.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 03:03:29 PM »
WTF??!! Im skeptical. I'll have to try this. Do I start with an improved hdmi cable or PC?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 04:38:33 PM »
Hey Jim

In my instance where I saw the picture improvement I kept the HDMI cables from all my sources the same. The addition of the updated Tice Power Block and the VH clone power cord were then added. After that the other power tweaks came about. The HDMI cables I use in my HT set-up are Blue Jeans larger gauge HDMI cables.

Also the guy I got the VH clone power cord from said in his experience changing a stock 16 AWG power cord for his TV to the older Belden made Volex 17604 (not the newer Baohing one) made a noticeable visual difference.

If you want to give cord swap on a TV a shot I have a 3ft Carol Cable power cord with Wattgate ends currently not in use lying around.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:45:40 PM by sleepyguy24 »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 07:14:40 AM »
WTF??!! Im skeptical. I'll have to try this. Do I start with an improved hdmi cable or PC?

Jim start with a PC. Then a power conditioner. The HDMI cable makes a difference I use Audioquest "forest" which is not expensive and delivers.
   Even using footers for the cable box which resonates like a freaken vibrator will give ya more clarity.
    Maybe Tom M. has some unused Alan Maher devices lying around.

charles