Author Topic: Modernize… Or Go With What I Know(hear) Is Great… Sub Thoughts  (Read 6030 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
I’m about to pull the trigger on a second Hsu ULS 15 sub to make my system a ‘true stereo sub’ layout. I added one about two years ago, and couldn’t have been happier with the resulting sound. The Q control, sealed box, and ‘relatively’ small (18x18x18) size suit me just fine.

The downside (in my mind) is the lack of on the fly control via a remote phone app. In reality, once it was dialed in, I never once thought I needed to adjust anything... But I figured I’d throw it out here- if you have a remotely controlled sub, do you use the function much? If you went from ‘manual’ to remote controlled, did it positively change your outlook on life?

Your thoughts are appreciated- I’m leaning 75/25 toward just getting a second ULS 15 but thought I’d solicit some opinions.

I should also add that I’ve asked about adding a second sub in general, and all responses have been positive; no ‘meh’s’, or ‘don’t bother’. Feel free to add those too if you feel that way.

Thanks,

Jim
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Modernize… Or Go With What I Know(hear) Is Great… Sub Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 08:50:29 PM »
Having thought about subs in the past, relatively small ones, and never purchased one, I’ll be curious what the responses are. I wasn’t aware of subs with remote capability, but the dsp thing with active speakers and software for Roon etc is very intriguing. Another thing I meant to get to, but haven’t yet…….
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 04:36:55 AM »
The only adjustment I make on my sub is loudness.
I have this connectet between my sub and integrated amp which allows my to control the volume via remote.
Sometimes I need to tone it down or off completely. Sometimes I need to increase my a smidge or more.

My life now has never been better :lol:

https://www.newark.com/mcm-custom-audio/50-8394/line-level-volume-control-rohs/dp/79X4195?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-aGCBhCwARIsAHDl5x8c-RG-Utmy8cFSe3J4Zb7U6-y30xnm_8cHE_SA3k4scBLDs7N2bTMaAjrWEALw_wcB&mckv=s_dc

This looks like an interesting piece to help you dial a sub in
https://www.dspeaker.com/anti-mode-8033

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 05:49:53 AM »
I have subs with DSP processing built into my Triton Reference. It has a level control, which of course I make use of. It does not have a crossover control found in outboard subs.

However, when I write "I make use of" this is to say I had to carefully set it....and then forget it.  :thumb:

Just my .02, even if you did have a remote there shouldn't be a need to change the level and/or crossover. Once set correctly, "correctly" should apply to all circumstances and there should be no need for further adjustment, unless you change something like your listening position, the position of the subs themselves, etc.
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 07:11:14 AM »
I find that once set for a speaker/room interaction, then I don't go back and mess with it.  Perhaps I would if I had another remote cluttering up the end table.   
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 09:59:42 AM »
One idea I can think of that would make a remote for an outboard sub useful is if there were one or more memory settings. There is probably no such product on the market in the way of a sub-remote control that has a memory function. There is in the case of the Schiit Loki EQ.

If there were such a thing, conceivably one could optimize the level and crossover settings and then save it to memory. Now, when listening to music, you could use the remote to your heart's content to tweak things for particular songs, even your mode at the time, etc. Likely the adjustment(s) would be small in any case. And, if you adjust things out-of-whack, you could then use the memory recall function on the remote to return the sub to its optimized setting.

In the words of the great Sir Paul McCartney, "That Would Be Something".  8)
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline James Edward

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 05:33:05 AM »
One idea I can think of that would make a remote for an outboard sub useful is if there were one or more memory settings. There is probably no such product on the market in the way of a sub-remote control that has a memory function. There is in the case of the Schiit Loki EQ.

If there were such a thing, conceivably one could optimize the level and crossover settings and then save it to memory. Now, when listening to music, you could use the remote to your heart's content to tweak things for particular songs, even your mode at the time, etc. Likely the adjustment(s) would be small in any case. And, if you adjust things out-of-whack, you could then use the memory recall function on the remote to return the sub to its optimized setting.

In the words of the great Sir Paul McCartney, "That Would Be Something".  8)

Yes- the SVS subs, and probably some others, do include such a feature. I see it being useful in a dual-use system as they give examples of one preset for music, another for movies, etc.
https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-4000

I’m old school and have my settings written down just in case an errant duster brushes up against things. I peer back there now and again just to see, but so far so good. FWIW, I ‘exercise’ the switches and dials occasionally to help keep them clean. Having the settings written down gets me back ‘home’.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline James Edward

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 05:35:47 AM »
Thank you all for the replies. I’ll keep things simple and just get a second matching ULS 15.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0