Author Topic: NYAR Track list  (Read 11171 times)

Offline jknechtel

NYAR Track list
« on: July 07, 2016, 08:04:03 PM »
Hey boys, long time!

This is JoshK (I registered that way back then moved up north and no longer have that email and so I had to change my username, guess what my last name is).   Anyway, I've been doing some serious shootouts lately in the Toronto area and was trying to remember some of the reference cuts we used to use often for shootouts.   Was hoping some of you old timers could help jog my memory.  Does Chris (lonewolf) come around anymore?  I also really miss Gordy (rip) even though he only made a few visits.

Here is some of what I remembered when I was there.  Some of them were mine, that is why I remember.  But we had a few that made many shootouts that I can't recall, especially the classical cuts.  Their was a Ref Recordings from MSO on Exotic Dances and I don't remember which track.  Maybe you can help me out.

Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Diablo Rojo (off self - titled, although we might have used Tamacun, but I used DR myself more often)

Eiji Oue - Minnesota Orchestra - BOLERO! orchestral fireworks - 12 - Maurice Ravel- Bolero (this one is long, but builds well. We had some others by Eiji & MSO from ref recordings, i can't recall)

Bozzio Levin and Stevens - Duende (off Black Light Syndrome)

Nils Lofgren - Keith Don't Go (off Acoustic Live)

Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia - Friday Night in San Francisco  (can't remember the track we used)

Niyaz - (self titled, forget the track; Gordy's pick)

Josh Groban & Tanja Tzarovska - Remember Me (off Troy Soundtrack, my pick)

Morphine - Buena (off Cure for Pain, love the deep baritone sax, bass and the low voice (also baritone i think), a work out for the midbass in terms of resolution)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:06:35 PM by jknechtel »

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: NYAR Track list
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 08:35:38 PM »

God I can't even listen to that music anymore

maybe jazz at the pawnshop would be a good test track :duh
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline jknechtel

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:23:08 PM »
I didn't go to as many of the later meet ups and it has been years, so I am not as jaded.   Jazz at the Pawnshop can suck a d*** though, because it sucks as much as it is overplayed.  Yeah I said it.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 05:37:26 AM »
Welcome Josh!

I have Chris' 2008 CD.  Dropbox flacs?

Offline jknechtel

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 07:07:12 AM »
Cool, yeah, I'd love that.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 09:24:24 AM »
PM

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 01:56:21 PM »
there are so many songs that should be banned from audio events.

jazz at the pawn shop should be banned just for shits and giggles

System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 03:45:55 PM »
I had never heard JATP until I downloaded a free DSD demo of one cut.

OMG what a worthless pile of crap. The poor drummer completely flummoxed. Such horrible music making.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 05:14:15 PM »
OMG what a worthless pile of crap.

:rofl:

I never heard Pawnshop, tho I heard about it for decades. By JATP I thought you meant Norman Granz' Jazz at the Philharmonic.  That's some good stuff there! Prez, Illinois Jacquette, Roy Eldridge, Bird, Ella.  That's when jazz horn battles were mainstream pop.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 02:37:47 PM »
I've got a few years worth of NYAR reference discs......
... I know they're around here... somewhere. No doubt the NY guys have washed their ears of it by now.

I'm sure they're on a HDD as well. Let me know what you have and we'll compare with what I've got.

ok.... I got over my laziness and checked my HDDs... I've got 2006 and 2007 (wow, has it been that long?)
I've also got Salk, BPT, Paste, RMAF, KBCO, bla..bla..bla...
Would need to be versed on what this "dropbox flac" thing is. Sounds more convenient than burning CDs.   :rofl:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 03:14:04 PM »
Would need to be versed on what this "dropbox flac" thing is. Sounds more convenient than burning CDs.   :rofl:

dropbox.com is just a sharable secure disk space online. It used to be cool until Microsoft bought it, but still works well. Good for large file distribution to avoid email attachment file size limits, has upload and download manager, etc.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 03:16:32 PM »
Thank you!

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 04:45:53 PM »
its not a pile of crap, its is actually very well crafted,
but how many times must we hear this?
are we audio zombies?
Can we not think outside the box sometimes

so much great music out there and we are all so different how can the outcome always be the same answer???

it shouldn't be, we are way too diverse than that, the fact that we always reach for the same music is kinda scary if you ask me

one of us...one of us....

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 05:34:59 PM »
Agreed. ^^^
I even started a thread about "uncommon" music.

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 05:58:17 PM »
Hey Josh,

Really, looooong time no hear, esp. when you've abandoned us!  I haven't been to Toronto for like 15 years, last time being there for my uncle's passing.... Was about to come up last year, but last-minute cancellation.....

So, Rich is giving you the CD, which includes a track I remember, Keith don't go...?  I remember, I think I have that CD Chris gave me.  Rich is sending to you?  I won't need to copy for you then, since his FLAC files are even better?

Shek