Author Topic: HD Vinyl  (Read 4524 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
HD Vinyl
« on: March 17, 2016, 09:35:38 AM »
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/03/15/high-definition-vinyl-will-soon-become-a-reality/

Something tells me this is not going to be good. Time will tell if it ever gets to market
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: HD Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 12:12:17 PM »
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/03/15/high-definition-vinyl-will-soon-become-a-reality/

Something tells me this is not going to be good. Time will tell if it ever gets to market

Excuse me if I'm a bit skeptical. It seems to much of this article is focused on cost cutting for record manufacturers, and not enough about SQ for the end users. Could this be an improvement for their bottom lines at the expense of SQ for the user?

Also they never said that this system maintains the signal in an analog format all the way to the stamper. Hopefully the digital signals in this system are limited to control signals only and the music remains pure analogue. If they are going to convert everything to digital as part of the mastering process what is the point of buying LPs? They tried to get us all to drink the "perfect sound forever" Kool Aid in 1984 and this sound strangely similar.

Maybe it is, may be it is not, there is not enough detail in the article to figure that out. I will keep an open mind about the technology, but also watch it with a sharp eye (or should that be ear?)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 02:01:01 PM »
Totally agree Tom. A professor in college used to say, it's done this way because it is cheaper.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 01:03:35 PM »
As a person who spends time as a Product Manager/Product Designer in health care software and so am constantly asked/harangued for new 'cool' features, I long ago learned to ask the simple question - "what business need will this address?"

That usually stops the conversation.

This article mentions 2 needs, better sound and faster manufacturing.

I can't comment on the faster, or more environmentally friendly  manufacturing, but who is asking for better sound. Aren't most of us listening to vinyl doing so because we think the sound is pretty good already???

I smell HD Radio all over again.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."