Author Topic: The Return of the Technics SL-1200  (Read 6128 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
The Return of the Technics SL-1200
« on: January 13, 2016, 07:06:35 AM »
Looks like Technics is bringing back the SL-1200. The new and improved version should hit the streets some time this summer.

http://www.technics.com/us/introduction/hifi-direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1200gae/

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-news/the-new-technics-sl-1200g-will-cost-4000/

I know this table has a cult like following, but it had better sound pretty darn good, because there is a whole lot of competition out there at the $4000 price point that Technics is aiming for
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: The Return of the Technics SL-1200
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 08:39:55 AM »
I know it is supposed to surpass the SP-10 tables, but at 3-4X the price of a decent SP-10, it darned sure better.   :shock:
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 09:08:46 AM »
   Seems high to me however costs of manf. today are higher than when it premiered. Kuzma Stobi S is $3300 list with arm.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 10:40:16 AM »
Don't think manufacturing cost have gone up in real dollars
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:57:21 AM »
I enjoy my Technics 1200 Mk2 but if I had $4K to spend on a TT I sure as hell wouldn't buy their latest/greatest Technics 1200. I have no idea what they are thinking there with that pricing.

Offline Scottdazzle

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 06:54:37 AM »
Robert Harley in The Absolute Sound online has this to say about the differences between the old and new versions:

"The old and new models couldn’t be more similar—or more different. From appearance, the new model looks identical to the old, with exactly the same placement of the controls, including the sliding speed adjustment. But inside, this is an entirely new and much more sophisticated design. The direct-drive motor has no iron core to eliminate cogging, and its speed is controlled by a system developed for the rotational servo-systems in Blu-ray Disc players. The platter is a three-layer construction combining brass and aluminum with a rubber mat, and has twice the inertial mass of the original SL-1200. The ’arm is also new, now made from magnesium, and features gimbal bearings. The base is much heavier and sturdier than that of the SL-1200, with a four-layer construction including die-cast aluminum. The whole package weighs in at nearly 40 pounds, considerably more than its predecessor."

You can read his entire post here: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/ces-2016/?utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-455

I hope I am not breaking any rules by quoting him here.
Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA
email: vivahifi@gmail.com
Retired