Author Topic: What TV?  (Read 13984 times)

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
Re: What TV?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 12:06:44 PM »
You might want to consider getting some 6500K backlighting behind your TV, highly recommended. Years ago I went CinemaQuest for a Ideal-Lume ballast 6500K florescent kit which at the time was very reasonably priced. Now,,, not so much. But it's a good read for the need for 6500k backlighting and it's recommended by Imaging Science Foundation. http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lumesb.htm

I think Ebay (or maybe Amazon) has 6500k LED strip lighting that's much cheaper than florescent and probably a better choice anyways for wall mount. I use a Sanus A&V rack for my tabletop Panny plasma so I had plenty of room to mount an Ideal-Lume on the back wall..

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 10:00:05 PM »
Thanks Robin, I'll check out backlighting.

We watched some 4k tonight on netflix, a period series called The Crown. Wow. Just wow. Music, casting, screenplay, color, texture, vintage vehicles, wildlife, just amazing. A steam train pulling through a station while people wave little union jack flags excitedly for the new Queen was amazing. The motion of all those fast little flags looked real.

Watched racing all day long. F1 in HD was great, just as Tom suggested getting the LG with 120Hz refresh. But f1 was a little bit blurry compared to the Indy 500 which was crystal clear and very exciting on big screen. The whole family watched it. Incredible to see it like that. Now I'm catching up on America's Cup challenger series, colorful 40 knot catamarans match-racing in azur blue waters of Bermuda's Great Bay. Whew, amazing!

Color is still not great as it should be, so I ordered a color cal disk as my local retired guy suggested. He's gonna help me get the best out of the disk. I found another local ISF caibrator, but not level 2. I haven't contacted him yet, but listings on the ISG dealers website are several years old.

Tonight my tennis player son asked to watch Tennis channel. But it is greyed out because I chose a lower programming plan when I upgraded to the new HD directv. But then tonight I found a whole block of HD channels up in the 700s devoted to Roland-Garros, showing all the action on every court, everyday, plus a mix channel of highlights and a channel for simulcast network feed, it's included in our cheap plan. :)  So we're set for tennis too. Will try that tomorrow.

I thought I would be weaning off TV. But now I'm way behind watching all the cool stuff I've recorded. And other people are claiming dibs on the TV to see their shows. I might be back on the small TV soon. But it is 720p and great color. We've never had 2 TVs before.

Still blown away by the 4k shows.

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 10:24:56 PM »
You might want to check on the AVS forum to see if there's a thread for your model TV. If so, there's usually some posts with calibration settings that have been used successfully by other owners of your TV. I'm assuming your set allows you to manually change the cal settings. Worth a shot to check it out. Until the Calibration DVD shows up this might hold you over.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 08:36:58 AM »
Thanks Paul. I didn't see a specific thread for my TV, but there are some mentions of it otherwise and a lot of great info overall. Lots of learning to do there. Thanks!!

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 03:54:36 PM »
Rich, check out this site and see if they have a review of your model TV. In their review that usually give the settings that you can manually adjust to get very, very close to a calibrated picture.

https://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtvreviews/reviews.shtml

Good luck,
Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 05:24:28 PM »
Thanks Bob!

https://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-lcd-tv/lg-uh7700.html

"Out of the box colors are over saturated but after calibrating the picture settings or using the cinema (user) setting with contrast at around 80% you get natural, crisp colors."

I will try the Cinema setting 80%, see if it's better than whatever setting we're using now (without any other adjustments.)