Author Topic: FS: Revel Performa 3 F208 Floorstanding Speakers  (Read 4760 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
FS: Revel Performa 3 F208 Floorstanding Speakers
« on: January 08, 2016, 11:21:41 AM »
Thanks to a good friend, I got a wonderful opportunity to buy a pair of these speakers to audition in my home.  Ever since I first heard them, I wanted to hear them in my system... but I was 'on the fence' about buying... but it finally happened!

I listened, changed around position, cables, tubes, etc... and in the end, I decided to keep my old Piega's... Mostly for the value loss I'd get on the Piega's... It wasn't a clear-cut decision by any means.

If you want a speaker that sounds big, with a big soundstage and disappears, this is it.  They don't require much power either.  My 400wpc MC402 is way overkill.  They could suffice with 100-150 watts of clean power easily.

This review is wordy but I think it's a pretty accurate description of what I heard and enjoyed:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/revel2/1.html

I'll add that these are PRAT monsters.  I could never stop tapping my toe while listening.  There is a consistent top-to-bottom presentation from these speakers that is truly special.  I wish I could keep them.

But... we have baby #2 on the way!... WHAT!?  So, priorities are shifting (yet again)... and I'm getting ready for that big event... so, the sound room situation needs to get stable... and soon.

I'm asking $3,300 for the pair.  They are like new, 10 on the Audiogon scale.  They were bought and setup once.  I'm going to clean off the finger prints and put them back in the boxes in their immaculate condition.

Here's a chance to own something truly special, designed by a legend, Kevin Voecks.  At my asking price, I'm very willing to help with delivery.

Thanks,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: FS: Revel Performa 3 F208 Floorstanding Speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 11:41:24 AM »
Just run them over to Richidoo. Great speaker.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 05:40:56 PM »

But... we have baby #2 on the way!... 

That is GREAT news!!!!!!!   :thumb:

Congratulations to you and your wife.   :D
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 07:52:05 AM »
Congrats, Carl!
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 10:50:15 AM »
Thank you! Should be 'fun'. Gulp.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 04:54:32 AM »
Congrats on your new child. Hope all goes smoothly.

I loved the sound of those Revel's when I heard them. You are giving up a really nice speaker.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 07:45:00 AM »
Congrats... Im keeping my eye out for F52s, whats your thoughts on the differences between the 2 speakers. Hows the layering of the music.
Its cool ndude.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 04:59:32 PM »
These are SOLD!

As to comparing to F52's, I don't know.  I owned F30's for about a year and really liked a lot about them.. but they were too hot and/or fatiguing in the upper mids, where I have extra sensitivity. 

I wish I could find something like what I have (Piega's) mixed with some of what Revel does, with some of what others do, etc.. the endless quest. ha... but that is all going to wait a long time.

The F208's are about as good as you'll get for the money.  I can't imagine the F52's sounding better but they could, I just don't know.  If I had time to tweak and figure things out more, I would... but when you only get a couple of hours a month to even enjoy listening, everything sounds pretty darned good. :)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 09:06:23 AM »

... but when you only get a couple of hours a month to even enjoy listening, everything sounds pretty darned good. :)

Welcome to Fatherhood.

Carl, you need to institute "Baby Music Hour". Bring the kids into the mancave every once in a while and get them used to listening to music while they are young. You would be surprised how much 15 minutes of light classical like Mozart can mellow them out. As they got older my kids used to love our little listening sessions. I would sit in my LazyBoy and when they got too big to sit on my lap they got a beanbag chair right next to me. (And every so often they got to sit in "the big chair".)

My younger one is now 22 and when he comes back from school one of the first things he wants to do is plop himself down in front of the stereo and check out what new records I got since the last time he was home. The older one does not care too much, but heck, I recruited at least one new candidate for the hobby.

Although I did tell him that there is a provision in my will that says if I do not die from natural causes then his bother gets the stereo and all my records., hey I do not want spend the rest of my life sleeping with one eye open.  :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables