Author Topic: on-line hearing test  (Read 5264 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
on-line hearing test
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:44:42 AM »
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

I didn't quite follow the rules on mine, since I'm using a laptop and some Koss Sporta Pro headphones (not sealed) from work, where there's a good amount of background noise. But this does give you an approximation of your hearing curve.

Certainly an interesting test overall. Mine kind of looks like a "W" with less sensitivity at the bottom and top (could partially be the soundcard and headphones here) and also less sensitivity around the 1kHz starting tone and those around it.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

djdube525

Re: on-line hearing test
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Interesting... also not ideal testing standards, but if looking at relative terms... interesting to see a huge drop off at 16kHz.

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 12:23:02 AM »
What kind headphones did each of you use?
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 07:07:02 AM »
A year or two ago I took my Grado 325s over to my Dad's and had him take this online hearing test with and without his quite expensive hearing aids, about which he had complained.  The results bore out his oft-stated contention that he did not like to wear the hearing aids because they were severely degrading his enjoyment when listening to his music on CD and FM radio.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 07:57:14 AM »
I don't think my $10 computer speakers are up to the task of producing test tones reliably at any frequency... I think a lot of people are testing their speaker abilities more than their hearing with this test... or with any online test.  If I go through and match these tones to the same db level on each freq to my ear, I end up looking at the typical curve of crappy speakers... Rolled off highs, boost in upper mids, big hole in mid bass, etc.

As to headphones, I don't know.. but you're plugging them into a 2 cent connector on a noisy motherboard.. so I don't know if you'll be able to discern computer whirring and general noise from 10,k up.  Most general audio systems are capable of producing 1 to 6,kHz fairly well.. and it sounds to me it varies 8 db in that short range.  (generally)  This is generic stuff, the 5 to 50 dollar headphones, systems, and so on.  I would imagine a cheap boombox is as good as most PC speaker systems.  

If you're listening to this type of test in an isolated room with headphones on, with a completely separate audio system that's dead quiet on really nice headphones, you might get a better idea of your hearing limits.. but even then I'm not sure I trust the source of anything online for this purpose.  A test tone generator directly to headphones is best.  

BTW, pretty much every ENT offers free hearing exams.  Let them know you want to be tested to 20,k.  

-C
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 08:02:09 AM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 09:12:27 AM »
Hearing is overrated. That is why they make SS :roll: :rofl:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 09:42:01 AM »
 :clap:

Very good Charles!