Author Topic: Wondering why so few shops/fests have "decent" rooms  (Read 8742 times)

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Wondering why so few shops/fests have "decent" rooms
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 10:22:33 AM »
See, Carl, Black Sand had the same experience as me 20 years later. 

Demonstrating in a crummy room was a semi-conscious decision.

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 11:26:07 AM »
"Moral of the story, in this instance, a nice room actually worked against me! I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it but it happen"

I suspect the customer realized what the speakers would sound like properly set-up in a treated room and knew how they would sound in his room without treatment. So he may been satisfied that the speaker was good as an investment. He could live with in his room now w/o treatment but knew it would only get better with treatment. It could be that he was sold because you showed him both scenarios. Of course it is just as likely that what you heard in the treated room was not what he heard. There are people that just does not hear we hear when we listen.

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 11:30:59 AM »
  In the eighties  I designed and built Andy Singers showroom on E. 33rd. St. in Manhattan.  Andy wanted to recreate living rooms typically found oin NY style apartments and homes. The result with Andy's' input was very successfull. He did so well with that concept he now has the biggest and one of the best shops in the NY area.
   We used plaster walls and clgs. No dedicated circuits, no flour. lighting, all incandescent. Wood and carpet floors.  Just like home sweet home. Even the furnishings were like home.
   There was one room that was treated with treatments he sold to show off the difference between a typical apartment room and a treated room. The rest is history.
   Rooms at the show, cost prohibitive to do properly and frankly not worth the money IMO. However, from the consumers stand point  "whats up"." I'm hearing so much about room correction devices, room treatments WTF. "Why the bad sound" Again so many factors for the exhibitor to deal with its really so hard. Poor power, almost square rooms, union labor, too many bodies in theroom. Talking or second hand noise. Too many to list.
  I used to think it was a scam being told "needs break in " " room sucks" " power sucks" etc, etc. After being involved in both design, manf, and sales it really is true. Really much tougher than one thinks, so Kudos to all that show their wares.

charles

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 12:22:15 PM »
But I'm not talking about rooms done "properly" or even "nice", just "decent".  My previous place had a 8 ft x 12 ft x 19 ft living room with a medium and large sized windows with two open doorways, plaster walls/ceiling, and hard wood floors.  It sounded decent (if no one was home to make noise or mind the sound).  Why can't shops build like that, add insulation, and simply use exterior doors?

I just don't buy why, if you bother to show, why you wouldn't come a day earlier, stay a day later, plan ahead, bring extra stuff, even rent an extra room to make a good showing.  Otherwise I'd just have a static display (or not come at all) rather than embarrass myself.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 07:18:01 PM »
I just don't buy why, if you bother to show, why you wouldn't come a day earlier, stay a day later, plan ahead, bring extra stuff, even rent an extra room to make a good showing.  Otherwise I'd just have a static display (or not come at all) rather than embarrass myself.

I would tend to agree with this train of thought. If it was me, I would sure as hell want to put on the best show I could.....not just "hook shit up" and hope for the best!  :lol: