Author Topic: Master Set - speaker positioning  (Read 8412 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Master Set - speaker positioning
« on: December 12, 2011, 07:30:18 AM »
A very interesting technique explained in detail over at AC. I thought it might be helpful to post a link here for future reference by anyone attempting to set up their room. This might just help you get it right.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64321.0
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: Master Set - speaker positioning
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:58:46 AM »
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline mdfoy

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 05:27:12 PM »
Why doesn't any of the propenents of Master Set ever post pictures?  it sounds very interesting, but pictures are worth a thousand words. Also, the threads get way out of hand
Where there is doubt, there is no doubt

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 07:30:20 PM »
It's a lot of work, and takes a couple tries to learn a practical way of doing it with your speakers on your carpet with your back strength and patience level. The system is just a concept, you have to work at it to figure out how to apply. But it does sound very good. The benefits are intense tonal density and clear clean punchy bass. Tone becomes awesome. Flat FR through the bass is always a big improvement whether done with speaker position, absorbtion or EQ. The downside is the reduction of the illusion of image depth. There is no depth on a stereo recording, but the reflections from the front wall create the illusion of it. Ironically the strong illusion of depth is caused by room acoustic distortions, which conceal the actual acoustic space on the recording.

I have done some pseudo anechoic listening inside a totally absorptive space and it was the best sense of space I have ever heard on a recording. Of course when the music stopped my ears felt suddenly stuffed full of cotton. People scoff at anechoic listening because it is so uncomfortable to be in there when there is no sound. But a recording with natural spatial cues makes a very intense sense of space, because there is no dilution of the recorded space by local room reflections.

I am starting to think that a dead front wall and live rear wall would enable Master Set to work even better by taking the depth illusion out of the equation, and allow the recorded ambience to step forward.

But the beautiful tone, flat frequency response and the involvement make Master Set a worthwhile experiment. But get some arnica gel if you have big speakers.

I think Master Set would work even better with a special recording of acoustic bass or synth tones designed specifically for the speaker positioning ritual, if for no other reason than to avoid listening to that godawful song again. The bass notes on that song are limited in range and skip a lot of notes because the song is a simple major key. Modes could be hiding in there. Doing computer FR sweep to supplement the ears with the Master Set might be worth a try.

Offline mdfoy

• Seeking Help
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 05:55:28 AM »
Richidoo,

Thanks for the informative response :thumb:  I am going to give it shot and see(hear) what happens.
Where there is doubt, there is no doubt

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 11:23:03 AM »
 8)

Have fun!

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 11:52:37 AM »
It's a lot of work, and takes a couple tries to learn a practical way of doing it with your speakers on your carpet with your back strength and patience level.

I have been wanting to do a Master Set session for some time now. But every time I think about dragging a set of spiked speakers that weigh 175 lbs each across a carpeted floor my enthusiasm wanes.  :roll:

Maybe some day........
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

AcidJazz

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 05:02:17 PM »
...or just remove the spikes, do the procedure, replace the spikes?

The Masterset technique is actually easier than it reads, I have successfully done it a couple times, with results that were superior to the (owner's) original position in every instance.
Center image stays centered across the listener's horizontal  plane. SOundstage becomes very spooky, in a good way.

Not a Master Master Set Jedi, just a ordinary audiophool.  :lol:

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 05:05:48 PM »
It's a lot of work, and takes a couple tries to learn a practical way of doing it with your speakers on your carpet with your back strength and patience level.

I have been wanting to do a Master Set session for some time now. But every time I think about dragging a set of spiked speakers that weigh 175 lbs each across a carpeted floor my enthusiasm wanes.  :roll:

Maybe some day........

Sounds like you could use a set of Herbies Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders. Makes dragging a breeze and they come in brass/stainless steel/titanium.  :thumb:
http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »
Still sounds like "put your speakers where they sound good" to me.

There, only 7 words!

AcidJazz

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 05:13:19 PM »
 :lol:
Exactly.
The speakers does sound good there...no need for a fancy name, just call it anything.  :lol: