Author Topic: The Pains of Computer Audio  (Read 13485 times)

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
Re: The Pains of Computer Audio
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 10:34:30 AM »
And all these years everybody has been breaking my chops about the rituals related to cleaning records being to inconvenient and time consuming????????   :roll:
:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
The tables have turned.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2018, 11:05:37 AM »
And all these years everybody has been breaking my chops about the rituals related to cleaning records being to inconvenient and time consuming????????   :roll:
:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
The tables have turned.

I don't know Bob, my table has never stopped turning.  8)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2018, 11:08:41 AM »

Your ritual is still painful and inconvenient. No thank you  :-P.

I do not have a ritual at all.  The only ritual that I have is power the DAC on (the amp and preamp stay on), grab the tablet/phone select music and hit play.  I have not mucked around with my setup for close to 18 months outside of making sure everything is patched both under Windows and Linux environment in automated fashion.  Patches get installed and system gets rebooted automatically every 6 weeks or so.

I am willing to give up bit of sound quality to keep my systems up and running in secure manner.  Even though they are dedicated for music only, god forbid I am not paying attention and use the system to browse  :duh

Offline tmazz

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2018, 11:24:33 AM »

I do not have a ritual at all.  The only ritual that I have is power the DAC on (the amp and preamp stay on), grab the tablet/phone select music and hit play.  I have not mucked around with my setup for close to 18 months outside of making sure everything is patched both under Windows and Linux environment in automated fashion.  Patches get installed and system gets rebooted automatically every 6 weeks or so.

I am willing to give up bit of sound quality to keep my systems up and running in secure manner.  Even though they are dedicated for music only, god forbid I am not paying attention and use the system to browse  :duh

To each his own.......

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »

To each his own.......

Yep, the goal is to enjoy music.  Does not matter how you get there  :thumb:

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2018, 12:39:46 PM »

I'm jealous.  I could never get my digital rig to be dependable.  And the less I played it, the less dependable it became.  If I were to try to play something on it right now, it would be at least 10 minutes of futzing before any sound came out.  I gave up and went back to vinyl a couple of years ago. 
Although I tend to let newly acquired vinyl pile up before breaking out ultrasonic, once clean it is sooooo easy to have things working and sounding good. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2018, 01:05:54 PM »

To each his own.......

When I made that realisation, my life became MUCH simpler.
Spent less money too.  :rofl:

Offline tmazz

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2018, 12:20:05 PM »

To each his own.......

Well put.  :clap:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2018, 05:37:38 AM »
Thanks to Shadowlight we were able to get the content directory set up. I was on the right track for setting it up but was actually providing too much information on the path.
We continue to have problems with JRiver/JPlay. I don't believe that will ever be resolved.  I can continue that as a hobby of its own on the side because the pressure is off, I now have music because the Shadow knows   :rofl:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2018, 07:59:38 AM »
Thanks to Shadowlight we were able to get the content directory set up. I was on the right track for setting it up but was actually providing too much information on the path.
We continue to have problems with JRiver/JPlay. I don't believe that will ever be resolved.  I can continue that as a hobby of its own on the side because the pressure is off, I now have music because the Shadow knows   :rofl:

He has helped me as well, which I appreciated very much 👍
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2018, 08:42:19 AM »

Is the Minimserver to Lumin streaming on par with JRiver/JPlay setup in sound quality?

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2018, 09:24:49 AM »
I didnt spend much more time on the JRiver-JPlay debacle. I can only take this computer stuff in small doses  :lol:
I will spend some time with it this weekend. I need to confirm that the JPlay is actually running WITH JRiver at the same time.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2018, 06:10:14 PM »
OK so it appears that the 2 are playing nice nice in the sand box.....for now. I was able to do a couple of comparisons of streamed vs playing locally. I think the local is a little more lively and the streaming is a bit dull(er). very close, I will need to do more evaluation but hey, its working.... :thumb:

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2018, 07:24:23 PM »
OK so it appears that the 2 are playing nice nice in the sand box.....for now. I was able to do a couple of comparisons of streamed vs playing locally. I think the local is a little more lively and the streaming is a bit dull(er). very close, I will need to do more evaluation but hey, its working.... :thumb:

Good to hear that everything is working again.  I guess something in JPlay setup was corrupted and reinstalling it fixed the issue.

Enjoy whichever one sounds the best.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:37:50 PM by shadowlight »

Offline JBNY

• Seeking Help
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2018, 08:30:48 AM »
Sorry to hear you are having problems. My digital has been rock solid playing pretty much any format for at least 5 years. Listening to peoples woes I think that people try and put together a system out of spare parts they have lying around and that is what ends up having problem.  If I would give you advice it would be this.

• Put all you music on a NAS, that is on 24/7.  Who care if it is uses 15 watts when it is idle, leaving it on all the time will elevate any issues with drives spiingin up ro down when you are tryting to listen to music.

Put in a hardwired network, don't run it off of wi-fi.

Get a dedicated Streamer/Player/server, leave it on all the time too. The streamer should be able to connect to the NAS via the hardwired LAN.

Plug the streamer into the DAC, enjoy digital music.

Playing around with jriver, foobar, media monkey, etc is fine when listening to music at you PC. but if you are trying to integrate digital streaming with your main rig it is much better to get dedicated solutions. Yes in the long run it is more money that just putting together a digital streaming solution from odds and ends you have lying around the house. But the dedicated gear makes things work so much smoother.

Jim, I have extended an invitation to come over and hear my system before. Sometime when you have time send me an email and come over, I can walk you through my whole setup.

-Joe
Von Schweikert Speakers/Seismic Isolation Podiums
W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp/SST SOA2 Amp
Roon Core i7NUC/Synology 52TB NAS
Matrix X-SABRE PRO (MQA) DAC/Pi4 Ropieee
Pass Labs X-17 Phono/OL Resolution MK4 TT/Conqueror MK3c/Kiseki PH
Equi=core 1800 Balance