Author Topic: Are you Obsessed?  (Read 12169 times)

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Are you Obsessed?
« on: April 06, 2018, 06:41:29 PM »
Well, it seems I'm going to become even more Obsessed with this audio addiction. :drool:

I've decided to try out a TWL Obsession PC in my system. I'm looking forward to pairing it to my D Sachs Model 2 preamp, my D Sachs Kootenay 120, and my Mivera IceEdge 1200as amp. It'll be about 6 weeks before I have it because I'm wandering around East Asia again and won't return the the beautiful PNW (That's not Papua New Winnie!) until mid-May. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Special thanks to someone named Dave for steering me in the right direction. 

Michael

Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Are you Obsessed?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 10:03:15 PM »
That will be an interesting comparison, Michael....the Sachs tube amp vs the Mivera amp. I’ve been following the posts on Mike’s amp over at AC and will be curious as to your impressions. I think PNW
is in the Seattle area, right??
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 10:47:40 PM »
Hi, Nick.

I've already got a loaner Takachi with basic internal wiring. I'm in the process of writing up a review of it. Teaser: It's pretty impressive.

However, I won't be able to compare it to my Kootenay until my return.

PNW includes Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and I'm told, western Idaho.

Michael
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 08:15:22 AM »
  I tell ya lots of claims and hype from Mivera. Maybe its me but I just cannot fathom a that a Hypex based amp can outperform the Don Sachs.
  Hypex sound to me was always threadbare and hard or bright. 2D imaging great bass though. I found that once I got over the impressive dynamics the sound was just Hi Fi compared to many other designs.
  I find this Amp to be the hype of the day, priced low and maybe falsely advertised. I will be quite surprised if after time spent with Mivera the Hi Fi sound will be the end result.
  In all fairness to Mivera I need to try one against my reference class "D" amp. The tubed ones as well. We shall find out. Hey please do not misunderstand me. We all would like a new design that is inexpensive and sounds like music not Hi fi so until heard they will get benefit of doubt.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 09:45:31 AM »
I’ve been following all the Mivera threads over at AC and was tempted a bit to try the amp with the less expensive case. But as it appears there’s no return policy, I didn’t pursue it.
I am curious about what he comes up with regarding cables, but iirc, that thread was quarantined.
Charles, if you get one, I’d be real curious to hear your impressions.
Nick
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:49:41 AM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 07:38:37 AM »
I am not doubting Michaels excitement or hearing ability with the Mivera. However been down this road with numerous class "D" amps.
The original Hypex module was not my cup of tea. Dry, lean, hard and bright. Crown anybody ? Nick I not be getting one to try. The Arion HS 500 is the Class "D" to beat in my experience. You name the brand and the Arion won out every time. Beat Pass as well all day long.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:53:56 AM »
I am not doubting Michaels excitement or hearing ability with the Mivera. However been down this road with numerous class "D" amps.
The original Hypex module was not my cup of tea. Dry, lean, hard and bright. Crown anybody ? Nick I not be getting one to try. The Arion HS 500 is the Class "D" to beat in my experience. You name the brand and the Arion won out every time. Beat Pass as well all day long.

charles

Charles, as you’re not going to hear one, I’ll just have to wait for Michael’s opinion. I’ll be especially curious as the comparison will be against Don Sachs tube amp
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 08:52:38 AM »
I’d forgotten about this thread. Too much has been going on in my life.

I did post a two-part listening impressions postabout the Mivera amp on AC and commented in another thread here.

It’s a good amp - really good.

I’ve got a loaner Takachi case amp with the most basic internal wiring and connections that Mike offered. I would have preferred upgraded internals, but since this was a loaner (at no extra cost to me), I ain’t complaining.

Would you like me to ask Mike if he’d consider offering this amp as a tour item? I have no idea if he’d be willing to do it. It’s got about 600 hours burn-in, I guess.

Anyway, the good news is I just ordered a 6-foot Obsession from Pete. [Thanks, Pete!] I also allowed him to persuade me to take a couple demo 7+ PCs off his hands. I should probably be committed. I really don’t have great PCs in the States because I brought my TWL loom over here.

Michael

Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 05:39:16 PM »
I’d forgotten about this thread. Too much has been going on in my life.

I did post a two-part listening impressions postabout the Mivera amp on AC and commented in another thread here.

It’s a good amp - really good.

I’ve got a loaner Takachi case amp with the most basic internal wiring and connections that Mike offered. I would have preferred upgraded internals, but since this was a loaner (at no extra cost to me), I ain’t complaining.

Would you like me to ask Mike if he’d consider offering this amp as a tour item? I have no idea if he’d be willing to do it. It’s got about 600 hours burn-in, I guess.

Anyway, the good news is I just ordered a 6-foot Obsession from Pete. [Thanks, Pete!] I also allowed him to persuade me to take a couple demo 7+ PCs off his hands. I should probably be committed. I really don’t have great PCs in the States because I brought my TWL loom over here.

Michael

Michael,
If others here are interested, then I’d be curious to hear it as well. The problem is the price.  Mike put a lot of effort....and expense..... into the quality of the case, the etching for the lettering etc.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 07:50:02 PM »
Nick,

The Takachi case is absolutely Plain Jane. There are no upgrades whatsoever and it’s list price is $900.

Since Mike announced he’ll no longer sell amps after the next batch, I will wager he’d let this go at a discount. I don’t mind admitting to being mystified by his decision to stop selling amps. Perhaps it’s a strategy to enable him to concentrate on creating DACs and the integrated amp he’s mentioned. I dunno.

Anyone else interested in a possible tour? I still have not asked Mike about the idea.

Michael
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 12:22:55 AM »
Nick,

The Takachi case is absolutely Plain Jane. There are no upgrades whatsoever and it’s list price is $900.

Since Mike announced he’ll no longer sell amps after the next batch, I will wager he’d let this go at a discount. I don’t mind admitting to being mystified by his decision to stop selling amps. Perhaps it’s a strategy to enable him to concentrate on creating DACs and the integrated amp he’s mentioned. I dunno.

Anyone else interested in a possible tour? I still have not asked Mike about the idea.

Michael

Michael,
I believe the Takachi case unit does not have upgraded internal wiring, better caps, better power supply as well. Isn’t that another of the differences? I really doubt it would best my upgraded McCormack DNA 1.0, but maybe it would.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 05:56:54 AM »
Nick,

I don’t know how it compares to your McCormack amp. I’ve never heard one nor even seen one before.

As for upgrading the Takachi, Doug is correct. The caps are a permanent part of the 1200as module. The only improvements that can be made are a heavier case, connectors, internal wiring, and power cord - and bypassing the iec socket’s fuse. Oh, and you can buy expensive fuses, but I have no experience with these.  I think that’s it.

Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 06:27:01 AM »
According to the https://www.miveraaudio.com/forum/flash-sale-thread/farewell-to-the-power-amplifier-flash-sale you will no longer be able to get the amplifiers in the question after he sells the last 10.

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 07:27:12 AM »
Correct. You will no longer be able to buy amps made by Mivera. However, there are currently four businesses assembling and selling 1200as based amplifiers. They are Bellissimo (USA), Nord (England), Rogue (Italy), and I’ve forgotten the fourth.

Michael
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 07:30:40 AM »
I have one, it is awesome. Better in every way than any other amp I have ever heard, and it can dump 1400wpc into my 2.9ohm Legacys. Yes, better than mdconnelly's previous stock McCormack DNA500 which had softer bass and more laid back feel overall. Better than NuForce Reference 9SE, better than Spectron Musician, better than Cherry, better than NCore 400. An amp with similar SQ is Levinson 532, authoritative and clear, but relaxed. Mine has rhodium/copper Foofootech connectors, no switch, no extra fuse, Takaka case, not minerva. It has a similar wide open and present sound as my old Snapper tube amps, but better bass, unlimited power, but not quote as much of an attention hog as Snapper. The tone seems perfect on every instrument, double reeds, solo strings, harmon trumpet, fender bass, concert bass drum. Unlimited detail and texture, as much as your DAC and speakers can make. If you always push for the best you can achieve then this amp will challenge the rest of your system mightily. I have some JPS XLR ICs coming today because my old DIY Gotham/Neutriks bottlenecked this amp. The amp is always on, 13W in standby, never gets hot no matter how long I blast it with dance music or organ music. It doesn't have any personality really, truthful, relaxed, confident, capable. It does not grab your attention, it has no color, it is not violent and scary like some class Ds, it feels relaxed. Your speakers will finally behave themselves and do what they're told no matter how difficult the chore. I am still trying to get rid of the feeling that something is about to blow up if I keep playing it this loud - an ingrained anxiety from too many years playing a poor audiophile!

It's not worth the effort to mass produce them for $1k. Anyone can buy a small batch of boards from B&O if you say you are a mfg. Then you buy the cases and connectors, build a batch for yourself and your friends. Most serious audiophiles can would pony up $1k for an amp as good as this. Don't need a fancy case, or a warranty, or fuses or foofootech. It's great enough just by itself. All the goodness is in the ICEedge chips.