Author Topic: Altmann BYOB heatsink upgrade  (Read 9714 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Altmann BYOB heatsink upgrade
« on: December 11, 2007, 03:05:57 PM »
The BYOB amp's stock heatsink is a TO-3 heatsink meant for metal can power transistor. It does not touch the tab of the chip at all, and so it never gets hot. I can only guess that it is there just for looks. The chip has thermal protection, but specsheet says it will sound better with good cooling, not to mention prolong the life of this expensive little amp. I first replaced it with a .06" thick x 3" wide disk of aluminum and that got much hotter. I found a heatsink from ThermaFlo which would have been 3" x 3" x 2" with lots of fins and <2C/W resistance. The online form quote request got no answer from Therma flo, direct email no response. Phone message no response. So I found my local Thermaflo distributor, after a week they wrote back, "You are small peanuts buddy, go play in traffic. You can order 200 pieces for $4,000 and they will be ready in 10 weeks." (paraphrased, they were actually very nice.) So I got out the trusty Mouser catalog and found this nice piece. It is made for a DC/DC converter, and is just the right size. A little heat paste under and screwed it into the wooden base. It doesn't fit the stock holes so I had to drill some new pilot holes. I also had to ream out the mounting holes on the sink, they were too small for the stock screws.

I think it looks better than the looks only stock version, and now it can finally shed some heat. Just before clipping (10W->4R) the chip dissipates >18W! No heatsink is suicide for this little gem. I hope it helps hold off clipping for a little longer.

Mouser part #567-547-95AB  Wakefield DC/DC Conv QUARTER BRICK VERT.    $9.95

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Altmann BYOB heatsink upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 04:01:13 PM »
   It looks so much better now. Hehehe. Nice work. Nude thats the way I like it.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 05:38:01 PM »
Yeah, and it does sound better now too. It started clipping much sooner due to thermal protection prior to the heatsink. Tanchiro from AC did the same upgrade and reported improved sonics also. I think it looks even better than the stock heatsink.

Thanks rollo.  Au natural!    :yay2:  as the french say... Speakin of Frenchy, where's our pal Shep??
Rich

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 03:55:22 PM »
  He joined the French army. Now theres at least one soldier we know of.

rollo
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 05:33:34 PM »
He joined the French army. Now theres at least one soldier we know of.

My politics won't let me touch that one with 100 pole  :D   But I miss my friend Shep. I hope he wanders by soon. Just to keep this on topic  :roll:, the Altmann uses 2134 opamps for output stage (5 per side) and it has been suggested by a couple people that I consider swapping them. As much as he denies it Shep knows about opamp upgrades from experience.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 07:53:18 AM »
   No politics Rich just a little fun. Anyway leave it alone already. After you have 1000Hrs on that sucker maybe. IMO it takes that long for the chip to really do its thing. If you really want to make that baby sing, build an oversized tube regulated power supply. My buddie had one made for his Zhaolu 2.5 [ oritek]. we could not believe the performance of that DAC with the new supply. Have fun.

rollo

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 03:39:56 PM »
No more money for the BYOB amp. I will enjoy it for the elegant simplicity and fine sound that it makes and continue to experiment on evolutionary ideas that it has inspired. It really sounds great, lots of fun.
Thanks
Rich

tanchiro58

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 02:45:49 PM »
Hey Rich,

Yes that is absolutely true. My BYOB amp's sonic is superb right now. Here is a picture

Tan
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 08:18:11 PM by tanchiro58 »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 03:30:06 PM »
Hi Tan!!
Nice to see you here. I hope you will stick around and join the fun. Your BYOB is highly modified, mine is still stock.
PM me if you want help getting pics into the gallery. I should write a little tutorial...

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Photos
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 05:22:36 PM »
Check this out for more info on posting photos: http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=705.0
Welcome and hope you enjoy our little corner of the web. :)
-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.