Author Topic: Audio rack materials  (Read 13145 times)

Offline mdfoy

• Seeking Help
Re: Audio rack materials
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 09:10:56 AM »
You got that right! I would love Kanso or Grand Prix, but the wife personally knows her first nickel and the pennies that made it.
Where there is doubt, there is no doubt

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 09:39:25 AM »
You got that right! I would love Kanso or Grand Prix, but the wife personally knows her first nickel and the pennies that made it.

My Wife still has Her Communion card with the $10 in it.  :duh
To be honest it just may cost you a pretty penny with DIY when "Y" is excluded.
     Is a rack the only solution ? Why not a used or Antique table, cabinet etc.
     If Wifey can live with an open rack. Consider making one similar to what Mapleshade offers. Threaded SS rods [ 7/8" dia.] with wood shelf or plinth.
    Look at what Audio Adviser has on closeout. Audio furn is not a big selling item with this economy. Maybe you could get a good deal.
      Antique tables and or cabinets can make pretty and function meld.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mdfoy

• Seeking Help
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 12:11:46 PM »
Charles,

:rofl:

I am going down the rabbit hole and see Cheshire cats.....

We saw some nice book case, media center stuff at Restoration Hardware and Arhaus.  It looks OK, but I was worried about resonance.  For example, we saw a nice steel book case with wood shelves, and I was thinking I could use something like that; with the Herbies and maple boards under the equipment, it might work. Then I start thinking about not being able to fill the posts in the book shelves with sand or shot.  I have seen some really nice non audio rack stuff that might be used for the system,  that is when I thought about placing this post. Maybe someone else has run into this issue, too.

Mike
Where there is doubt, there is no doubt

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 12:43:08 PM »
I'll repost a pic of my DIY rack. Again, all about mass. However, this is in my dedicated audio room, so YMMV if you are looking for something to fit into a living space and make the SO happy.

Personally, wood always seems to be asthetically pleasing, unless your design style is modernist. To me exposed threaded rod is post-industrial/minimalist in looks. And glass (or granite) shelves can ring like the devil, which is not what you want in an audio rack.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 08:03:58 AM »
  Nice work Bob. I use the sand boxes as well. You may consider Herbie's decoupling pucks under the rack. Your speakers as well.
   Recently heard a demo of such and was taken back a bit as to the results. Just ordered mine.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 08:06:38 AM »
Magnetically permeable materials like steel are OK.

A static magnetic field coming from the stand would probably be OK, but probably best to avoid it. Most hifi components would not be affected by a weak static magnetic field.

Grounding the rack is affective.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 08:10:34 AM »
Charles,

:rofl:

I am going down the rabbit hole and see Cheshire cats.....

We saw some nice book case, media center stuff at Restoration Hardware and Arhaus.  It looks OK, but I was worried about resonance.  For example, we saw a nice steel book case with wood shelves, and I was thinking I could use something like that; with the Herbie's and maple boards under the equipment, it might work. Then I start thinking about not being able to fill the posts in the book shelves with sand or shot.  I have seen some really nice non audio rack stuff that might be used for the system,  that is when I thought about placing this post. Maybe someone else has run into this issue, too.

Mike

Think Amoire or another heavy wood piece. The interior shelves can easily be converted to accommodate the gear. It can also aide in diffusion if centered behind speakers.
   Think outside the box.

charles