Author Topic: Herbies Audio Lab "UltraSonic" tube dampers  (Read 33546 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Herbies Audio Lab "UltraSonic" tube dampers
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 06:43:34 PM »
i have used the Ultrasonic RX dampers on 6SN7's to good effect and i use Herbies Tender feet under my CD player and DAC.i also use Herbies Isocup footers with lampblack balls and stainless steel bases under my tube amplifier  :thumb: Great service and products  :thumb:
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 05:49:37 AM »
Just swapped out my Mullards for Teles, I have the Teflon Hal-O 9 dampers. And I think they're a discontinued version, but they don't look all that different from the current Teflon '9'.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 08:15:19 AM »
I've been considering Dampers for my Jolida 502 BRC Integrated.  Herbie's seems to be the way to go.

From what I've read, it's more important to do the signal tubes than the power tubes. I have 4 of each on my unit. What have others been doing in that regard?

The Ultrasonic Damper comes in an RX and SS version. The RX being the "better" version of the 2. Has anyone compared them (unlikely) or just comment on which one you have and how they performed.

Hey Putz

I realize some time has gone by since this post. What dampers did you end up placing on your JoLida 502BRC? Did you place them on all 4 tubes or just certain ones? I was just going to use those orange silicone rings but was thinking about trying something different. I stumbled upon the Duende Criatura tube rings from the tubestore but didn't find much information about them.

Offline Putz

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 08:55:35 AM »
I've been considering Dampers for my Jolida 502 BRC Integrated.  Herbie's seems to be the way to go.

From what I've read, it's more important to do the signal tubes than the power tubes. I have 4 of each on my unit. What have others been doing in that regard?

The Ultrasonic Damper comes in an RX and SS version. The RX being the "better" version of the 2. Has anyone compared them (unlikely) or just comment on which one you have and how they performed.

Hey Putz

I realize some time has gone by since this post. What dampers did you end up placing on your JoLida 502BRC? Did you place them on all 4 tubes or just certain ones? I was just going to use those orange silicone rings but was thinking about trying something different. I stumbled upon the Duende Criatura tube rings from the tubestore but didn't find much information about them.

I got the Herbie's for the 4 preamp tubes only. Can't remember exactly which model they were.

maxima95

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 07:10:19 AM »
I tried an Ultrasonic Rx-9 for a 6H-30 tube in a Dodd Tube buffer.  I agree with the previous observation about the sound being less "tubey."  I thought it made things more neutral and I could hear back through the stage better (among other things).  I like it.

I still use Halo-O 9s on preamp signal and 2A3 amp driver tubes and am very pleased.  Had to get the Rx-9 for the
6H-30 because of the heat.  Glad I did.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 09:58:24 AM »
The Ulrasonic RX work great.
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 09:05:42 AM »
    I've noticed that with Telefunken tubes not a good match. They lose their character a bit.
    For all other brands just dandy. Anyone have the same or different experience.
     Using Herbie's in my preamp for the Tungsol 5687, Western Electric 417A and RCA 6GK5.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »
Well I caved in and purchased some Herbie's PTFE HAL-O 9 tube dampers. The price was reasonable and I could re-sell them and break even or take a minimal loss. One thing that suprised me about them is their feel. From the pictures I always thought they would be these dainty little things. To me they have some substance to them vs. what I'm used too.

Will post my thoughts on them after I install them in my amp and I spend more time with them.

Offline JBNY

• Seeking Help
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 03:53:46 PM »
Yeah you have to try them out if to see if they work in your setup. The dampeners don't sound too great on my mullards tubes but sound really good on my golden lion tubes. YMMV

-Joe
-Joe
Von Schweikert Speakers/Seismic Isolation Podiums
W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp/SST SOA2 Amp
Roon Core i7NUC/Synology 52TB NAS
Matrix X-SABRE PRO (MQA) DAC/Pi4 Ropieee
Pass Labs X-17 Phono/OL Resolution MK4 TT/Conqueror MK3c/Kiseki PH
Equi=core 1800 Balance