Author Topic: Looking for decent 6SN7 tubes  (Read 8250 times)

Online Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
Looking for decent 6SN7 tubes
« on: August 30, 2012, 03:04:02 PM »
Its been difficult finding decent current production 6SN7 tubes. It seems the ones I get aways become microphonic in a short period of time.
Anyone have any recommendations on affordable, current production pieces that they have had good luck with?
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

DaveC

Re: Looking for decent 6SN7 tubes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 10:53:28 AM »
I'd try Create / Synergy...

NOS Sylvania are still reasonably priced, I picked up a quad of chrome dome GTAs for $95 recently. It would take more work to buy NOS tubes, and replacing bad tubes might be an issue as well...

Also, maybe the old Reflektor 6H8Cs, they are readily available, I got a quad for $25, haven't compered them to the Sylvanias yet though.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 06:28:40 AM »
Just an FYI

I was looking at the Shuguang Black Treasure CV181 tubes on the Grant Fidelity site and they have been discontinued. They now have this CV181 tube.

Psvane TII series CV181-TII aka 6SN7

http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/cv181-tii-pair/

I have no experience with this tube just putting it out there. It sure is pretty looking.

Online Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 06:52:29 AM »
I will have to try the new CV181 as their tubes are very nice. I would like to see how it compares with the Sophia 6SN7 as this is the tube we supply with all our Purity preamps from the Basis Two on up and our new 300B mono blocs.
The Sophia is a real nice tube and their Royal Princess 300Bs are excellent. They are pricey but are also included in our amps.
Design Engineer
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 08:15:08 AM »
The Piss Vane guys were the original creators of Black Treasure. They left Shuguang to go out on their own. They are coming up to speed now with many tube type available. I hope they are as good or better than Black Treasure, because I prefer not to buy from the communist factory.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:11:56 AM by richidoo »

Online Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 07:36:11 AM »
I will say those Psvane and Black Treasure tubes sure are classy looking.
Design Engineer

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 09:15:47 PM »
Has anyone tried a 6F8G tube + adapter to replace 6sn7 type tubes? Did they sound as good?

To me they kind of look cool. Here is a sample pic I found.

Online Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 11:35:53 AM »
I have looked into building a custom version of the LeAnna preamp with 6.3V heater supply gor this tube but don't know if the higher price of this tube would justify the sonic difference, if any. Building around this tube would save on the cost of decent quality adapters.

From what I have read, there is not much in sonic differences between this and some of the older 6SN7 tubes. But then again, good vintage 6SN7 tubes can be pricey as well.  It is basically a 6SN7.

I too like the vintage look of the tube but they seem to bring in a high price from what I have seen.

I would be interested in hearing other's thoughts on this tube as well.
Design Engineer