Author Topic: 6H30 tube  (Read 20545 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
6H30 tube
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:18:03 AM »
    So anyone have any reccomendations besides Sovtek ???   Any experience with cryoing this tube ?? Thanks.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: 6H30 tube
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:23:51 AM »
6H30DR is the original Russian made tube, and the best sounding. Huge current and extremely low distortion.

http://thetubestore.com/russian6h30pdr.html
Sold out

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=6H30+DR
Beware fakes repainted

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:20:50 AM »
  Thanks Rich. Just cannot get away from NOS it appears. Yes the Holy Grail the DR 6H30 super tube.
  I going to have the Sovteks cryoed first. At over $230 /pr for the DRs I'll give it a go.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 02:13:29 PM »
That sounds good. Audio Research uses them in their preamps, surely they are not using DR.

Found this
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?2155-6H30-s-Are-the-more-expensive-megabuck-versions-worth-the-money

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:02:54 AM »
   Thanks noticed that as well. Received the cryoed version. So far so good. A fuller sound and dead quite. Experimenting with the Arions now to see what more we can get from these babies.
    Next up will be the output caps. As of now using Cardas [ stock ]. Want to Give Deuland VSF copper a go.

charles

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 04:53:48 PM »
Parts connection has matched pairs of Reflector 6H30 DR for $219.99
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 04:55:25 PM by Bunky »
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:20:01 PM »
Just picked up a Lector Zoe with Sovtec 6H30 tubes, will let you know how that pans out
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rpf

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 08:56:15 PM »
I found the Electro Harmonix gold pin 6H30 to be a significant improvement over the standard Sovtek, in the Modwright 36.5 I had, if not on the level of the 6H30 DRs.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 03:24:59 PM »
 Thanks Rob. I neeed to call you but misplaced your number.

charles

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 09:08:02 PM »
Hi guys

Sorry to bump such an old thread again but I hope my question is relevant to the previous discussion.

How is the bass performance with the EH Gold Pin or Sovtek 6H30 tubes in the applications you have used them in.

I'm being loaned a ARC based Clone preamp from a friend so I can give him my thoughts on the preamp. From what I've been told the clone can have 6H30 tubes used in them but my buddy hasn't been able to use them as they are a bit out of his price range currently. Right now I've tried this preamp with 6N6P-EV and 6N1 tubes and I've finding the bass to be very light.Mids and Highs are nice but the bass is gone in my system. I'm wondering if 6H30s would provide more bass. I figure I'd ask you all first as you have had more experience with these 6h30s.

Thanks

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 07:04:24 AM »
  IMO the bass of the Sovtek is more forceful and dynamic than the Dr versions. Cryo 6H30 that is. Tubedept has them in stock. The top is much more natural with cryo IMO.

charles

Russian_Glass

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 07:35:21 AM »
Try the 6N6π - it was this tube that led to the development of it's pulse-tolerant (6N6π-I, 6N6π-IR, 6N30π, 6N30π-DR) cousins - (the effort was to make them tough enough to withstand military use as power supply switching controllers.  The 6B6π won't last as long as the others, but it will sound better IMHO.

You have to understand that once Komenko made a deal with Reflektor to buy out all the remaining stock of DR's, it was HE who started the hype that the DR is the only tube to have.
(Interestingly, since he started running out of DR's in 2009, he's now touting the 6H30PI as a "Supertube").

People like Lucas (Lampizator.com) and I have extensively compared both the 6N30π & the 6N6π.  I find the 30 a tad "clinical" and the depth-of-field to be better on the 6. True, the 6 won't last as long, but they're quite affordable and (I think) more emotionally involving - of course, YMMV.
   :)

Russian_Glass

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 07:41:09 AM »
Strike that sentence about Komenko calling the "regular" 6H30Pi a "Supertube" - that was someone else's claim.  My apologies.

Nonetheless, if you owned ALL of a tube's stock, you would naturally say it's the best - (In fairness, it IS the most rugged).

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 12:34:22 PM »
Do all of you guys use the BAT equipment?  Thetubestore.com's description says 6H30 is a 6922/6DJ8 variant, but it is not for use in equipment other than BAT.

If it is as rugged as it's touted, wouldn't it be a good choice for my AI Mod 2D (aka "The Tube Eater)?  

What is different about the 6H30 which disqualifies it from service in my pre?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:00:53 PM by allenzachary »

Russian_Glass

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
What is different about the 6H30 which disqualifies it from service in my pre?
Two things:
1. Heater current — 300mA (typically) for a 6DJ8/6922, 850mA-900mA for a 6Н630/6Н6П type of tube.  If your unit's heater supply is overbuilt and can handle the extra ½ amp, this isn't a problam.  Otherwise, it can be modified to do so (by someone like myself or Jim Williams).
2. Bias point — although the range of bias for the two tubes overlaps a great deal, a piece optimized for a 6DJ8 may not have the ideal bias point for a 6Н630 or 6Н6П — (IOW, it will most likely work, but may not be as much of an improvement as it could be.