Author Topic: Synergistic Research HFT & FEQ  (Read 42371 times)

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Synergistic Research HFT & FEQ
« on: October 17, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »
This just in from Stereophile's online computer audio magazine, AudioStream.

Did any of you that attended RMAF get the opportunity to see (hear) these demonstrated?

http://www.audiostream.com/content/synergistic-research-hft-feq

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Re: Synergistic Research HFT & FEQ
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 05:16:02 AM »
I went to the room briefly but I didn't hear the demo. One of the RMAF attendees told me he heard it and was "blown away" by it! He ended up purchasing the kit at the show.

If you're looking for some "Ground Plane Technology" for your hi-fi system, you can find it here... http://www.triodewirelabs.com/american-speaker-cable.html

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 06:07:35 AM »
I went to the room briefly but I didn't hear the demo. One of the RMAF attendees told me he heard it and was "blown away" by it! He ended up purchasing the kit at the show.

If you're looking for some "Ground Plane Technology" for your hi-fi system, you can find it here... http://www.triodewirelabs.com/american-speaker-cable.html

Cheers,
Pete

Aha!  You let the cat out of the bag, Pete!  Your website "says" your speaker cables are available with BANANAS!!!  Now you can no longer sing this song to me!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'll take a pair of 15 footers, thank you!

SN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT6JkceQ9FU

"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 07:33:34 AM »
  Ground plane technology has been around for quite some time. however never exposed as a benefit. why ? well because it works and some manufacturers took advantage of it.
     Not an easy add on needs to be engineered as to gauge and application.
     When properly applied "ground planes" can be quite affective. Next up is magnetic RCA's and wire management. Gotta love neodymium magnets. Learning how they are implemented in cable design IMO will be the next big thing in cable design.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

DaveC

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 08:50:24 AM »
Those kind of tweaks come and go.

Years ago at RMAF there were a lot of rooms with tuning kitchenware... various bowls and plates and stones and whatever you place around the room that are supposed to resonate and change the "energy". Funny, I didn't see ANY rooms with that kind of stuff in it this year...  :)

I've played around with "ground plane technology" aka loops of wire and they have an effect that is difficult to predict and requires some trial and error... they do little to nothing with my current cables, seems like litz-type cables aren't as affected by it.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 10:17:35 AM »

Cheers,
Pete

Aha!  You let the cat out of the bag, Pete!  Your website "says" your speaker cables are available with BANANAS!!!  Now you can no longer sing this song to me!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'll take a pair of 15 footers, thank you!

SN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT6JkceQ9FU

Sure, stereonut - a killer set of "banana'd" speaker cables coming your way with highly engineered incorporated ground plane technology... Some of us have figured it out!

Cheers,
Pete the PE
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 08:33:21 AM »
   I heard the SR demo of bowls and things last year at RMAf. very impressive demo. The sound just opened up with a more transparent presentation. The price however was the kill joy.
   The Tranquility base is the real deal. I want one or two or three oh my ! Ya gotta hear what it does to believe it. I was very skeptical at first. The demo changed my mind. They are quite affective but again the price ruins the party for me.
    Back to ground planes. Gallo has been doing that forever. He  grounds the driver baskets to the neg. terminal binding post to ground the drivers and ?? not telling. What Ga. ?? I will not divulge that sorry. A properly engineered ground plane system is the key. Producing a more open and transparent sound. I'm a believer.
  May the ground plane be with you.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 07:13:28 AM »
OK back on topic. Installed two sets of HFTs as per instructions. Never in all my years fooling with getting a live sound these devices delivered in spades.
   A larger more open sound stage. A continous sound with more in focus. The topend never sounded so natural and unfettered.
   The size of the sound stage now almost equals the Pipedreams and I,m using two way stand mounts.
    These devices may be expensive for some but man if ya can swing two sets check them out. That is if you can get them. They were seriously back ordered. Just more there there. NOT a dealer.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 07:53:51 AM »
  Ok the final test. Removed them. Everything just collapsed and veiled in direct comparison.
  BTW great for any glass in the room. IMO for $600 list [ level one and two ] you will be hard pressed to treat your room in a more affective way.
   Whatever your opinion on the product put it aside and just audition them.

charles

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »
Charles... interesting about the glass.  Are you saying that the HFTs help in rooms with glass in the listening room or that you actually but the HFTs on the glass?

I've got a number of windows that are about 10' behind the listening position.  Eventually I'll get some heavy shades in but am curious to know if the HFTs may help as well.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 06:16:57 AM »
This is definitely one of those things that is going to have to be proven to me before I can form any opinion about them. $600 is not a trivial amount for 5 x 1/2" round aluminum disks that supposedly create miracles.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 07:02:05 AM »
I can certainly echo BobM's skepticism on this one.  For me, it plays directly at my system's weakness.  My room needs treatment but my ever so sweet wife ain't gonna let it happen. 

So Synergistic Research comes along with a magic bullet (literally) at a price that, while not trivial, is certainly reasonable compared to other room treatments.  (well, yeah, $300 per pack of 5 little aluminum thingies seems a bit excessive).   Most everything I read says it works and people that I respect say the same.  But, I'm an engineer - WTF?  How can those things make a significant audible improvement? 

For quite a while TheCableCompany was offering a completely free 30 day trial - free shipping both ways if returned.  Not sure if they still are.  But bottom line - the only way I'll be a believer or remain a skeptic is to try it.  Perhaps I will one of these days.

Anyone else try these?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 07:39:38 AM »
This is definitely one of those things that is going to have to be proven to me before I can form any opinion about them. $600 is not a trivial amount for 5 x 1/2" round aluminum disks that supposedly create miracles.

Bob they do not create miracles they open up the sound. I agree that $299 per set seems excessive until heard.
   Cable company sold out their stock with no returns to date after the demo at Rocky Mountain. Heard now in two systems and no turning back. Going for level three now.
    According to the website very affective with glass.

charles

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 08:19:42 AM »

Bob they do not create miracles they open up the sound. I agree that $299 per set seems excessive until heard.
   Cable company sold out their stock with no returns to date after the demo at Rocky Mountain. Heard now in two systems and no turning back. Going for level three now.
    According to the website very affective with glass.

charles

You will just have to bring them over one day Charles.   :thumb:
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 09:56:36 AM »
Jeez, I gots to buy me some machining equipment  :rofl:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata