Author Topic: "MooseStyle BVR" with Feastrex D5nf driver  (Read 37247 times)

jrebman

Re: "MooseStyle BVR" with Feastrex D5nf driver
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2008, 02:21:01 PM »
Rich,

FWIW, I can't ever recall ever hearing a horn of any kind that didn't have a bit of "horn" sound to it.  I can't say with absolute authority but I suspect that it has to do with the fact that there is a very narrow band of frequencies which are cou0pled more efficiently to the room due to it being a horn -- if that makes any sense.  In other words, every horn has a resonant frequency, and it is always in the audible range, where as resonant frequencies of boxes can be pushed up or down to reduce their effect.

I think what it comes down to is whether you like it or not, and certainly there are horns and then there are horns.  Those monster Cogent field coil horns are incredible and I culd easily live with their horn "colorations".  I've never heard what one would call a completely neutral horn.

When talking with Joe Cohen last year, he speculated that the real ticket for these drivers would be a TL of some sort, but all that remains to be seen.

-- Jim

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2008, 10:48:54 AM »
Thanks Jim, that makes sense, especially in a boxish horn where reflections in the horn will emphasize midrange wavelengths. I do like the aliveness and sensitivity of horns, I may be stricken.

I hooked up the Quads again today to get contrast and a sanity check. I'm glad I did, I must have been going insane to think the horny coloration "wasn't that bad..." Lots of ringing wood panels all adds up. Back to the drawing board.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2008, 07:07:12 PM »
OK, time for next installment in this saga... (compulsion?)

Another copy of the previous wooden design, called Maiko, this time made of plastic, so no wood signature at all. It is a very dead material, so the midrange is quiet. Ahhhhhhhh........  There is no bracing whatsoever in this structure. The material is mostly self damping above 100Hz, maybe even lower. There is still a bit of extra bass but it is quiet and easy to ignore. I think I can stretch that out of existance. The material is a royal PITA to work with.

Sound is improved dramatically over the previous wooden carcass. The baltic birch coldness is gone. Some of the wood excitement is gone too, but the quietness is always better than excitement. Let the music be exciting. The sound of the driver comes through unaffected by box noise, and is very enjoyable.

I will still be building this design at least one more time, with a composite structure next. I would like to build it in aluminum too. Time to learn how to weld!
Rich

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2008, 08:32:04 AM »
is that TREX deck material?
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2008, 08:50:07 AM »
Yes. I would not use it again. This morning I am not impressed with it. But it did solve the midrange resonance.