Author Topic: Acoustic Zen Adagio  (Read 12194 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Re: Acoustic Zen Adagio
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 10:36:02 AM »
Hello folks

Anyone ever try using their shipping bags over their Adagios..? The Adagios come with a thin shipping bag drapped over before they are styrofoamed and boxed. If you are sitting on a laminate or hardwood and in an untreated room these bags tighten up the sound stage. I guess it acts like a full grill.

Hehe this is my nervosa and i am stinking with it.  :thumb:

Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 10:46:59 AM »
Cool! Is the cover thin cotton?

I used a little color sample of Guilford FR701 cloth to soften the tweeter of my Gemme Katanas once. It was just about right.

Offline Werd

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 10:53:56 AM »
could be nylon , feels more cotton. I think its cotton.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 11:33:24 AM »
 The Adagio has gone through a few versions. I have heard them all. Shane is correct about the tweeter but from experience, the later version does not seem to be as bad as the crossovers helped a lot.

I also prefer these with tubes and the more power they see, the better they perform in regard to dynamic speed and attack. The Adagio JR's do a better job in my opinion as the bass is tighter. They don't go as deep but I prefer the tightness. If I were to choose between the two, my preference would be the Jr's.

I still have a pair here that still need to be shipped out to a customer but they don't count as they have all new upgraded, external crossovers.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline Werd

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 02:02:09 PM »
I wonder what version mine are? I get great bass out of them. My Max bella has really low full bass compared to the Bryston pre. The low gain setting on the Max Bella is where i have it set (i think around 16db). But my 14B really keeps it nice and tight. I don't even use a sub and i have a servo 15. They work really nice with big power. Gets lots of air with great transients and no blur on the leading and trailing edges. Tons of attack with excellent seperation from the drums and rythym that give it good pace.

Topround is correct when he pointed out, "its all about balance" in tweaking".
Those Wywires rca's are really what i was looking for since they smooth all the etch but keep the transients still nice and fast. That is about the only thing i was looking for that really made a big SS amp work here wonderfully.

The only thing i don't like about the Adagios is they don't have a deep bodied sound that you get from enclosures that are long in measured dimension from front to back like my old Kef 104/2's are. The kef's are about a 1.5 feet deep and the Adagios are like only maybe 10 inches.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,