Author Topic: Audiophile sweet spot and major upgrades  (Read 3102 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Audiophile sweet spot and major upgrades
« on: December 30, 2016, 06:09:47 AM »
As audiophiles, we assemble systems that we believe provide the best performance within a certain price range. You know, that sweet spot.

My question is has anyone demoed in their system, a component that was way higher price than other parts of the system to experience first hand if the performance was up to the hype? Example, I have a Modwright amp and Preamp that I think to upgrade I would have to spend maybe $10 grand each to upgrade. I can't imagine what an expensive (for me) amp preamp would sound, or how much of an improvement it would make.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Audiophile sweet spot and major upgrades
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 06:51:59 AM »
If I understand your question correctly-

http://www.luxman.com/product.php?pid=54

This was the piece that lives up to the class-A amplifier hype for me. The fact that it's an integrated is a bonus- I was able to almost afford it by selling 2 pieces- amp and preamp.

I've had an equipment merry-go-round for years now, but this was the first piece that I knew was a keeper during the very first cd playback. Normally, I'll listen to new equipment and be thinking: hmm... maybe I should try different speaker wire with this. Or maybe it needs to break in, or I should try those other interconnects, etc., etc.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 09:00:52 AM »
yea, it's basically punching through into the next higher echelon of equipment. But a real serious push. I often wonder would I have an "ah ha" moment if i were to plug in an uber expensive piece or would it be Meh.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 10:59:33 AM »
When I demo expensive gear of higher performance than the rest of my system I hear the improvement, but I also hear the imbalance the new gear imposes. Adding clarity in one place reveals the lack of clarity in the rest. Eventually, the upgrades demand the deficiencies be fixed. Balance must be restored. The level of resolution varies by taste, but it must be balanced system-wide, imo.

Brain and room are important parts of the system and they must be balanced with the gear. Brain and room set limits on what gear is appropriate. It all has to work together. No one component, not even brain can outperform or underperform the rest.

You only need enough resolution to serve your music. More is not better.

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 11:27:49 PM »
Hello, Jim.

This looks like a good 'sink my teeth into it' discussion.  :)

I find myself in the midst of my personal audiophile merry-go-round. I restarted this hobby under four years ago, so perhaps I'm still in my early stages.

I added two pieces to my developing system this year that have made big improvements in SQ. I guess I should clarify. One addition (Gustard X20u DAC) made a big improvement over my entry-level DAC Magic Plus. The other improvement (Don Sachs Model 2 preamp) made a huge improvement in SQ. I'm not certain this preamp qualifies as expensive gear when you consider how much ARC or McIntosh preamps cost, but it is very expensive to me.

After adding the Model 2 preamp to my system in Oregon, I was struck by how it is the best component in that system, and I began thinking about how I could even the playing field by adding a better amplifier without spending $5k to 10k for one.

This is a very enjoyable hobby (addiction?), but it ain't cheap, is it?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:29:32 PM by mresseguie »
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 06:52:45 AM »
Past a certain price point I think it's about flavor. Sure, there may be more derail, or more air, or more nuance, or more intimacy as you go higher, and you would expect all of it as you pay up. But the bottom line is that the room and how your speakers work in it can give you all of that if they are paired correctly.

If you're going to go higher in price then homework is necessary. You need to ID what you think is lacking in your system, and what its strengths are that you don;t want to lose. Then read reviews and see what component gives you more of what you need without losing what you have.

Ideally it's an auditions game, but that gets much harder as you pay up. I suggest looking in the used market for something 2-3 years old, buy it and audition. If you don;t like it in a month you could sell it for what you paid. Then try the next.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.