Author Topic: Today's Sound - Yesterdays Solution  (Read 3357 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Today's Sound - Yesterdays Solution
« on: November 18, 2016, 07:16:10 AM »
   Is it me or is it that most of the new offerings are over detailed, bright, thin and overly dynamic ?
   The move towards neutrality verses musicality appears the design goal these days.
     Do we need tone controls again ? The Absolute sound of unamplified music appears harder to achieve these days.
     Obviously not all CD's or LP's are recorded properly. As slaves to the source should our systems be neutral and expose the best and or worst of the source ? Or, should our reproduction systems be colored to make all sources sound the same ? IMO no to the later.
      I have found that when one sets up their system for Cd playback Vinyl playback is affected. If set up for CD same thing occurs.
     In lieu of having two systems in one like myself [The BSG QOL allows me to use multiple inputs from a preamp or preamps or a CDP with volume control ]. Properly designed tone controls could really make a difference.
     I would consider an equalizer however except for cost prohibitive FM Acoustics none have worked out for me. 
     Any thoughts ?

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Today's Sound - Yesterdays Solution
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 02:03:07 PM »
Good bass is expensive
Good bass has bad WAF, prettykitty deominates the modern 20 something waif-man
Kids like the adrenaline/stimulation of harsh treble, sonic starbucks
Modern content is not worth investing in good bass
20 something DINKs are target market for audio mfgs.

The superiority of flat EQ is a myth to justify the suffering caused by WAF and millenial content/tone preferences.

B&K curve is satisfying and has no noticeable sound, unlike audiophile voicing for demo drama and impulse purchase by ignorant noobs. Legacy Audio makes speakers voiced similar to B&K. But they still have the flat treble audiophiles want. Flat treble "sounds" like treble. Slightly rolled treble disappears leaving just music.

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 02:20:05 PM »
Enjoying the hell out of my redbook optimized stereo. I agree with Charles- one system can hardly do justice to multiple formats. Multiple musical genres, probably...  But vinyl, cd, and now computer audio, seem to be just different enough to tax any single style/flavor of playback equipment.

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 08:47:46 AM »
Good bass is expensive
Good bass has bad WAF, prettykitty deominates the modern 20 something waif-man
Kids like the adrenaline/stimulation of harsh treble, sonic starbucks
Modern content is not worth investing in good bass
20 something DINKs are target market for audio mfgs.

The superiority of flat EQ is a myth to justify the suffering caused by WAF and millenial content/tone preferences.

B&K curve is satisfying and has no noticeable sound, unlike audiophile voicing for demo drama and impulse purchase by ignorant noobs. Legacy Audio makes speakers voiced similar to B&K. But they still have the flat treble audiophiles want. Flat treble "sounds" like treble. Slightly rolled treble disappears leaving just music.

Good bass in a full range speaker I agree can cost the big bucks. It erks me to no end that many offerings costing big money cannot go down to 20HZ flat. Bass is a required fundamental for my listening. Geez the piano alone goes down to 28HZ. Then there is organ and synth. Oye.
   Well thank God for OB subs by Danny Richie. Problem solved. Add to a pair of VG monitors and be very happy.
   Now that EQ [analog] or tone controls comes in handy. Oh and a balance control on the preamp.
    I agree 100% about a slightly rolled off treble. there needs to some adjustment of frequency to dial in the sound with one's system and most importantly "DA Room".

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline KLH007

• Seeking Help
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 05:29:43 PM »
Charlie, You are correct in pointing out that the "new neutral" seems to be threadbare, lean, bright, and not sounding live/real. I don't think any system can be called overly dynamic, especially after a visit to any live concert. Information/detail is very important, but not if it overshadows the sound we would hear if the music was live in our room, too much of the artificial HiFi edge takes away from the ability to suspend belief, and just immerse yourself in the music.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 06:00:39 PM »
Well if you get a chance, try Math Audio Room EQ for speaker and room correction.  Only works for digital sources, but it sounds really good even using an entry level calibrated mic like the Dayton Audio UMM-6 and the calibration data for measurements.

Anyone that heard the Ono Audio Room at RMAF2016 was listening to it from either the Mac or MS-3 running the dspMusik as the digital crossover.  They tried it in bypass mode and preferred Room EQ running.

It will be running with the Megaliths and servo subs here when the planar/ribbons lines are finished. 

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »
There's big dynamics, and then there are micro-dynamics. The latter is a very big part of making things sound real, and very few systems do it properly.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.