Author Topic: Your Investment (What music format cost you the most time to get to Nirvana)  (Read 9716 times)

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
After reading forums and everyone's search for the ultimate sound I was wondering what format have you spent more time on in your quest. Meaning equipment, tweaks etc. No dollar amounts need to be listed just what format. I myself have not spent much money on a particular format, mostly amps and speakers. If I have to chose I will say CD

Computer Audio
CD
Vinyl
Cassette
8 Track
Reel to Reel
Drugs  :shock:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:43:04 AM by ejk »
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline pumpkinman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Your Investment (What music format cost you the most)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 04:58:41 AM »
Easy it's vinyl  :shock:
Because I am The Pumpkinking

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 05:16:29 AM »
$$ wise, it's likely vinyl.  Still spend $$ there although not nearly at the rate I once did years ago.  Although the cost to hear live music (good seats, great venues, favorite music) may actually be higher these days.

But time-investment-wise - particularly over the last 5+ years, it's been computer audio - downloads or getting clean rips, proper tagging, cover art, descriptive information, etc...  I sometimes think of it as a work of passion to build a clean and comprehensive library. 

But I suspect history will show this to be a foolish endeavor with little long-term value.  Who knows what form "music" will take in 2025.

Offline ejk

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 05:24:55 AM »
Easy it's vinyl  :shock:

No, really ? you look more like an 8 track type of guy  :rofl:

or is that  :shock: the last choice from my list
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline pumpkinman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 05:26:04 AM »
Easy it's vinyl  :shock:

No, really ? you look more like an 8 track type of guy  :rofl:

You laugh but till a few years ago I still had a few.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Because I am The Pumpkinking

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 06:27:07 AM »
   Vinyl using a Kuzma Stobi S with Stogi 12VTA arm, Crystal cable tonearm,outboard power supply and  a Goldenote HOMC cart. at $7450 list. Plus phono stage.
    CDP at $3300 plus mods to power supply add $1000, no computer on board.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 06:31:56 AM »
The vinyl rig (TT, cartridge, phono stage) is several times more expensive than my CD player. But I think if I add up the cost of the medium (CD's vs my records) the CD's take it.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline ejk

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 06:41:39 AM »
You know what due to varying costs in every system how about we change that and make it

In which format did you invest the most time to get to Nirvana
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:48:28 AM by ejk »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
  OK it would be vinyl then. Having a large record collection made the choice for me. Buying CDs to match what I have would have been costly.
   New music however is bought on CD when not available in vinyl. If I was computer literate maybe a dive into ripping and burning and playback would be. I'm sure pure Hi rez DSD rips are quite good.
   I say bring back DVD Audio, have some and they are quite good.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
If you are talking about playback hardware it would have to be my vinyl rig hands down. As a matter of fact I think I have spent more on accessories for my vinyl rig (The VPI RCM plus various alignment tools, scales, stylus cleaners , strobes, fluxbusters etc.) than I have spent on my entire CD setup.

However a big reason for that discrepancy is that since I have never heard a CD digital setup that sounded  better than playing equivalent vinyl (sorry Paul, but that includes your hi res digital rips) I chose not to pursue the higher end digital (and higher priced products. In my mind, since I would be looking to pay vinyl when looking for the best sound, it was just not worth the money that it would have cost to get a more state of the art digital system.

Not that my digital system sounds bad by any stretch, I built is around a solid  well respected DAC, the Eastern Electric, and am very happy with it. But if I look at where my vinyl and digital systems sit on the quality spectrum, the TT is much higher along the curve (compared to what else it out there in the market), so it is not surprising that it cost me much more than the digital equipment.

Now keep in mind that these decisions and the commitment to the vinyl format were made many years ago when digital was limited to the 44.1K Redbook standard. As the hi res digital markets matures I may have to revisit some of these choices. It is quite possible that native hi Res files (as in those made directly from master tapes) very well could sound better than vinyl. I will have to wait and see. Of course at that point It will not only be a matter of whether they sound better, but also of what is available in those formats. Of course just like vinyl, not every hi res files will have better sound, only those made with care from original sources. I'm sorry, high res digital rips of LPs by definition cannot sound better than the original LP, at best they can only sound the same. And with a huge amount of the music recorded over the past 20 years or so being done direct to 44.1 digital for CD release, I am not sure if there is any benefit to releasing them in a higher res format. Of course analog tapes will benefit greatly from high res mastering, but just like with audiophile LPs, not all albums have good quality masters available to start with.

When and if enough hi res releases become available that sound better than LPs  at that point I might rethink getting into higher quality digital. (of course they would have to be high  res files of albums I want and do not already have good sounding vinyl copies of already.... Hmmm, that could be a problem  :lol:).

I guess the bottom line is when I get to the point where I can and would use the digital system more for audiophile type listening, then I will consider investing more in it. But until them it's still LPs for me. (perhaps when Tidal starts streaming high res files next spring I might start to get swayed.  :-k
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
I'm on my 3rd iteration of audio PC. I'm on my 7th or 8th DAC.
I've had 2 or 3 tables and preamps, all high value (cheap) stuff.
I don't think I've played a record this year. Maybe I did. I've played about 100 hours worth of music where I was in the room listening. I'm pretty sure it would only be digital.

So, digital front end for me. Because it's the part that has all my good music on it. I don't have many records, they don't make much vinyl of the music I enjoy listening to.

I still have a TT and nice phono pre. But I need a new cart. It's not high on my list to replace. But I might spend $100 on one if I go 'all out'. Ha
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....

So, digital front end for me. Because it's the part that has all my good music on it. I don't have many records, they don't make much vinyl of the music I enjoy listening to.

Gotta follow the music.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Since you specifically said "time" I would have to say digital.  A modest analog system will make great music.  A capable TT, cartridge and pre can be had easily at at reasonable cost.

In the context of time, I have spent years getting a digital system together that is as good as or better than most analog systems in SQ. I find digital needs more care and feeding in accompanying gear selection.  System synergy is paramount, especially in the context of clean power.  With analog there is more forgiveness in the power aspect.

D
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Vinyl in both $ and time.  I've got a pretty fair computer rig, but just don't spend time with it. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
It would definitely be CD. I haven't played vinyl in over 7 years, but the last record I played was Smokey Robinson and it sounded sooo good. My current Antelope dac/preamp is a keeper for sure. It does make me realize how bad some of the CD recordings were of 20+ years ago. My knock on vinyl has always been that I have to listen to some songs that I really don't care for. I never did mind getting up and flipping a record over and cueing it again. I'll definitely get my vinyl going again this year.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS