Author Topic: Dave the power conditioner maven  (Read 4450 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Dave the power conditioner maven
« on: November 19, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »
The PI Uberbuss

What is the technology used in Uberbuss?
At the insistence of rollo I just registered here and this looks like as good of a place to get my feet wet as any.

Th UberBUSS is a passive, parallel filtration device that is non-current limiting and uses no coiled inductors in its construction.  A simplified description is as follows:

Power inlet (IEC, Neutrik or hard wired)
The Brick - primary EMI/RFI filtration - a proprietary construct
Power Factor Correction - produces more available current under the curve - built from Type 'X' capacitors
FinalFilters - individual high frequency filters on each receptacle
Current throughput capability 40A

All of this is mounted in a non-magnetic, non-metallic enclosure.  I have found this to be very important to eliminate eddy currents that will color the SQ.

Standard receptacles are modified Pass & Seymour 5362A receptacles with no magnetic components and are cryogenically treated for lowest noise and conductivity.

I developed these units for use in recording studios after auditioning available units that frankly speaking didn't sound very good or dramatically blunted transients.

It is an easy solution that was hard to figure out.

Dave
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:54:19 PM by richidoo »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Dave the power conditioner maven
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 07:54:43 AM »
I developed these units for use in recording studios after auditioning available units that frankly speaking didn't sound very good or dramatically blunted transients.

I'm familiar with only a few power filtering and distribution products that I've tried in my own system or heard in others'.

Running Springs, which I found to blunt transients and sound stuffy. I think Hydra did that too when I heard it once. I once bought a Tripplite power strip after reading an article about it on an audio website. It ruined the sound of everything. I don't know if it had filtering, but it just looked like a heavy duty strip with thick 9 foot vinyl power cord.

I had excellent experience with Equitech balanced power conditioner, especially on tube amps. When I heard PurePower active conditioner I was also very impressed. These had no loss of detail, and didn't take away the life. Brick Wall surge protector also worked fine.

Oh, also the Acoustic Revive power strip from Japan. A aluminum outlet box filled with tourmaline and other mineral dust. That worked really great.

But the passive filter type conditioners never did it for me.

Is yours a passive component design, and why is yours different, Dave?
Thanks
Rich

EDIT: Oops, OK I finally read your whole posts above. It is passive and secret recipe ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:02:48 AM by richidoo »

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 10:20:09 PM »

I'm familiar with only a few power filtering and distribution products that I've tried in my own system or heard in others'.

Running Springs, which I found to blunt transients and sound stuffy. I think Hydra did that too when I heard it once. I once bought a Tripplite power strip after reading an article about it on an audio website. It ruined the sound of everything. I don't know if it had filtering, but it just looked like a heavy duty strip with thick 9 foot vinyl power cord.

I had excellent experience with Equitech balanced power conditioner, especially on tube amps. When I heard PurePower active conditioner I was also very impressed. These had no loss of detail, and didn't take away the life. Brick Wall surge protector also worked fine.

Oh, also the Acoustic Revive power strip from Japan. A aluminum outlet box filled with tourmaline and other mineral dust. That worked really great.

But the passive filter type conditioners never did it for me.

Is yours a passive component design, and why is yours different, Dave?
Thanks
Rich

EDIT: Oops, OK I finally read your whole posts above. It is passive and secret recipe ;)

There is passive and then there is PASSIVE.  There are a few products that are very good.  You mentioned my short list.

+1 on the compression of rise times and dynamics.  This is where the Power Factor Correction aspects the Uber come into play.  It provides a current well and impedance matching for inductive inputs like the TX in most quality gear.  I have come to appreciate the importance of impedance characteristics in every aspect of audio over the last 50-ish years.  Like any performance application from athletes to audio gear we gotta feed them what produces the highest performance.

Me, I'll eat anything I'm not allergic to, which has turned out to be many of the things I love :roll:  Bummer..............

Dave
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 06:37:58 AM »
    IMO the best feature of the Uberbuss is that amps do not lose dynamics one iota. One can expect a more open see through presentation with slam. Tonality is unaffected. Bass is tighter and more powerful. Dead quite background. Ugly though those black boxes.  :roll: Ugly is good in this arena.
    Using two one for digital one for all else. Waiting on a Digibuss to find out what that does.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 12:12:34 PM »
I think a big overlook, people do not pay attention to their neighbourhood transformer. Where I am the transformer is positioned about 200 yards away, it's underground cabling and it looks like it feeds a greenhouse and a bunch of homes. It's probably why passive condition seems ineffective since my main problem is distance. This is why i have found transformer power conditioning to work the best.  But at my Mom's house, the transformer sits on a pole, 30ft up, at the corner of her yard and all feeds are above ground  :thumb:. She is right there and cabling is not on the earth but hanging into the house. It has been a long time since my system has been there (but my estimate) passive conditioning like the UberBuss or nothing since the power is right there. Assuming a 200 amp fuse box using decent receptacles like Furutech are in play.

My Mom's house is the best situation for audio imo.  Mine is bad.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:19:04 PM by Werd »
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 06:30:47 AM »
If I put a multimeter up to the receptacle it will read 120v. What is at the receptacle is 120v and whatever milliamp current.  My amp with transients, the TX will see 30 to 40 amps.  But with a passive device like an amp transfomer, it has to see through another passive device like a conditioner, the outlets, the fuse box then the local community transformer. If the transformer is too far away then best strategy is to remove as many devices as possible between the amp and local transformer. Usually this means a condiitioner and outlet boxes.  Or remedy by a transformer driven conditioner like my Torus. But if I am lucky like my neighbor down the street, he has the box righ behind his house. There I might drop the activeTorus and go passive. Because the current at the outlet will be nice and stiff.  Conditioner strategy is related to where you are in proximty to the local transformer.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 06:28:17 AM »
  My meter reads 124V consistently. Transformer about 100ft away. To date every PC  used had an ill effect either robbing dynamics or changing tonality. The PIA Ubers did no harm and gave me more music. Meaning micro and macro dynamics.
    Isolation transformers [ probably the wrong ones] always robbed dynamics for me.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 07:31:28 AM »
100 ft is pretty close. Transformers you want as big as you can get. Anything you buy will not be as big or any where near the size you are defeating by installing a TX inbetween your amp and that local transformer. (What ever size that is).  So everytime you put a transformer in your system you lost everything because you are used to that huge one a 100 feet away.  The current draw into you house is stiff so you have lots of wiggle room with a conditioner.  It's not going to effect your current draw. I am pretty far and these underground cablings are not meant for transient current draw. 
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 07:36:24 AM »
Next time I am at my mom's in Winnipeg I will take a pic. If you are into cable lifting this is awesome. The feed hangs right off the transformer into the house. Nothing touches the ground  :thumb:.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,