Author Topic: Where Is Your System At Since 2011  (Read 6588 times)

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
Where Is Your System At Since 2011
« on: October 22, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
I'm off the Kool Aid wagon and simplified my system. Got rid of the Butler amp and Modwright pre. Bought a pair of Zu Omen's and an Almarra 318b integrated amp . My primary source right now is a Bluesound Node and Schiit Modi Uber streaming Tidal Hifi. I bought a NAS and have been transferring my CD's to it and all controlled by the BS Node.

I'm very happy with Tidal and never had a hiccup. For a long time and even now I read everywhere all the problems with PC audio and it's very frustrating. Not for me anymore, the Node is excellent and keeps getting better with more updates. Yes I'm enjoying my system very much and maybe start a " What are U streaming now" thread :rofl:

Even bought a Marantz surround rec to use with video in virtual surround mode. 2 speakers only and beats a soundbar

Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline machinehead

• Affordable Web Design & Development
Re: Where Is Your System At Since 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 01:01:42 PM »
I  pretty much have the same systems Ive had. I picked up this and use it a lot.. I have Apple Music since its great with families... and play everything from my phone. Sound is pretty good... actually sounds better louder. Goes outside and I can stream from anywhere. Nice. Not quite audiophile approved though

Its cool ndude.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 06:33:32 PM »
oh my Lord... The changes to my systems have varied since 2011. I lost track or actually disposed of the pictures/evidence so the wife wouldn't kill me. By becoming curious about various pieces of equipment old and new, getting bit by the tube bug then the vinyl bug and the headphone bug it has been a roller coaster. The only thing I didn't mess with too much was my HT system because I actually care more now about music listening. I'm settled now for the most part. Wife has taken note of the current set-ups and may have even taken pictures herself so if a drastic system change occurs I will be in the doghouse. If I can find some pictures I'll share the madness that I went through.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 08:55:06 PM »
I lost track or actually disposed of the pictures/evidence so the wife wouldn't kill me.

:rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 08:59:42 PM »
Evan, what do you think of the Bluesound Node. I was considering picking up their Vault unit, which is essentially the same except that it adds a optical drive and a 2tb hard drive so you can rip and store cds in the unit themselves as well as attaching to some other sort of network based storage.

What hardware and software do you use to rip the CDs and control the node?

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline ejk

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 10:40:33 PM »
Evan, what do you think of the Bluesound Node. I was considering picking up their Vault unit, which is essentially the same except that it adds a optical drive and a 2tb hard drive so you can rip and store cds in the unit themselves as well as attaching to some other sort of network based storage.

What hardware and software do you use to rip the CDs and control the node?

Tom

I love it. I haven't used my CD player in about a year. Call me lazy. The Vault is nice it also lets you download directly from HD Tracks. Bluesound is capable of 24/192. I have become a Tidal junkie. Storage is cheap. I have a 3TB hard drive hooked to my router which cost me maybe 100 bucks. I use my laptop and DB Poweramp to rip my CD's, it's simple. As far as controlling the Node I mainly use my laptop but I can also use my phone and my tablet which is great when I am out back in the summer. Check out the Bluesound Forum it has lots of info
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 05:59:38 AM »
Wow 2011 was a very good year. I just do not remember it. Still using same ole speakers. Pipedream 924. Recently added a pair of JM Lab subs soon to be sold and get Innersound OB diople subs.
     The amps were changed from my beloved custom 211SET monoblocks to Arion class"D" hybrid. A long story. Had them in for a demo and never thought they would better the SET amps. To my surprise they did in spades so te change and then decided to sell them under Rollo Audio.
    The biggest change came from the BSG QOL. a game changer in every way. Offers 3D sound stage, correct phase and better tonality. BSG QOL is out of business. However a great product.
     Cables were changed from Tara, Gronenberg  to a loom of TWL. Added two PIAudio Uberbusses one for digital only and the other for all else.
     Modified the Lector CDP power supply to double output which increased headroom big time. Changed tubes in Lector to Tele 12AT7 instead of Mullard.
      Added Synergystic research HFT to room and OMG and even larger more open presentation. Highly recommended.
      Fun , fun, fun.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 06:17:52 AM »
Wow 2011 was a very good year. I just do not remember it.

At our age we are lucky if we can remember what we had for breakfast.  :rofl:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 07:30:32 AM »
Since 2011?

Well...I went from a two channel, home theater system that sounded great in every aspect that I was proud to show off, to a system that is only used for HT. As the song says, "The music died". Too much HDMI/HDPC garbage. When one piece died ("strike one"), its replacement wasn't HDCP compatible with the next piece in the chain. "No problem", I'll just buy one of those too. "Strike two".  :roll:

Nope. That piece sounded like crap "Strike three". Sent it back, got something different. Nope. Sounded like hammered shit. "Strike four".

Suffice it to say that this entire process took a considerable amount of time. During the process, a nice little set of personal computer 2.1 planar speakers fell in my lap that I fell in love with. My PC is right behind my HT seating. You could call it "the second row, center" listening position. I learned to love listening to music from this position and the added perk I that I can use my PC while listening, which I couldn't do before.

The HT rig still sounds great with the OB mains and IB subs yet I have no desire to listen to music on it any more....all thanks to technology "sticking it to me".
How's that for a radical change?

Bob

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 08:26:19 AM »
Since 2011 when I was using big high efficiency internal horn DQTWT-12 speakers and I15 amp. I sold the speakers (only DIY speakers I ever sold instead of trashing!) then started on Kairos bookshelves. That's evolved to a 3 way, still working on the passive crossover after trying it out as full active with pro audio multichannel DAC and JRiver digital crossover. Like Evan, I really don't like having Windows in my system, maybe a invisible linux host for MPD would be OK, thinking about that. I built 4 channels of a DIY chip amp called Modulus-86, which I love, although not quite enough power to run speakers with passive XO. I modded my DIY DAC from passive transformer output to active I/V stage, big improvement, now I want to have USB input to reduce input jitter. I'm planning my next big project is moving my system from the huge downstairs living area up to the space above the garage. It is isolated from the house so it can be a soundproof room tha I can use later at night, and listen in silence in privacy. It will be much smaller than the room I use now, so I'm a bit anxious if it's the right move. Pros and cons. Also thinking about giving up DIY it distracts from my listening hobby. When it doesn't sound good, I feel responsible and distracted into thinking about how to fix it. If it's commercial gear then I say it is what it is, listen around the flaw. I am perfectionist always been my weakness. Audio hobby is a great road to spiritual growth. Nowhere to hide from yourself.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 08:50:41 AM »
I was very happy with my personal system in my shop in 2011 until September came. Audio components do fair well in class 3 rapids and then under 5 feet of water and 9 inches of mud and crap.
I really miss all my vinyl :cry: :cry:

At the time I was running Salk HT2L speakers (among others), Older custom built turntables and electronics were custom pieces I had built to use as reference pieces.

Today I still use the one and only Purity Audio Design One-i integrated hybrid amp. With preamp outputs, I use it as a reference preamp for testing amplifiers and the direct input to the amplifier is used for testing preamplifers.
When not testing components, it is used as a reference integrated.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline ejk

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 09:05:08 AM »
I chose 2011 because Im pretty sure that is when I was banned and equiptment talk was down and music posting was at an all time high

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 09:18:46 AM »
Banned from here?

Offline ejk

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 09:43:44 AM »
Banned from here?

Long story. I guess I could fill up the latest post preview on the home page explaining.  Lol

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 10:01:22 AM »
 :rofl: Roger that.
I'd never seen the name (moniker) before, wasn't sure who you are/were, or if it was an AC or AN thing.
It's all good.  :thumb: