Author Topic: Things you can do for free that improve sound quality  (Read 8902 times)

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Re: Things you can do for free that improve sound quality
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 07:19:55 PM »
And I doubt I have even 30 posts since my surgery. Go figure.

Interesting thought Rich, I'll try it this weekend.

Gene, you could turn on the HT receiver for the unused speakers, that will keep them from moving much because the amp is actively playing "nothing" into them, which kinda locks them in place via back EMF. The amps will electrically damp stray movement to some degree, but maybe not 100%. See if you notice any difference on/off.

Interesting concept. I would be interested in hearing about how this works out as well.

Gene, you are hitting the big time, I see you just passed the 2k post milestone.  8)

"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 08:27:58 AM »
They vibrate in sympathy with your main speakers and muddy the sound

Just wire the non active speakers in shorting mode and no worry. However if you remove from room do so.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »
  OK my freebies. Unplug analog power supply when listening to Cd and visa versa. Clean all contacts once a month. Wire management makes a difference. No wire should touch OR cross another. Elevate all cables off floor, racks, Keep powercords away from signal carrying cables. Keep IC away from internal wall wiring at least 6 inches min. Suspend speaker cables off floor with bakers string.
   Move your listening chair back and foward to achieve a sweet spot. Sit more than four feet from rear wall.
    Clean your room, no clutter. Eliminate first and second wall reflections. Do not forget the clg midway between your chair and speakers.
   Be in a good frame of mind for listening. If not do something else. Turn every light off. Enjoy !

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 09:04:57 AM »
I am reading with interest guys and enjoying everyone's comments.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »
  Just wire the non active speakers in shorting mode and no worry. However if you remove from room do so.

:thumb:   Excellent! Then the voice coil will damp itself.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 09:57:38 AM »

:thumb:   Excellent! Then the voice coil will damp itself.

Si Senor.

charles

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 03:00:30 PM »
  Be in a good frame of mind for listening. If not do something else. Turn every light off. Enjoy !

you would be amazed of how important these two things are and what a difference they make.
Before sitting down for a listen, make sure there is nothing on your mind. Turn off all the lights so you are in the dark. Put in a recording you are in the mood for.
Give yourself a few songs to chill your mind and then just sit back and enjoy.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 08:17:26 AM »
Thursday night i had the experience of listening to the Naim Statement amp/preamp using their top Naim network Superinite and a pair of Focal Diablo Utopia speakers. About $250k Cad if that means anything.

By far the best pre/amp i have heard. Multiple Class B output transistors. The first time i have ever heard an amp track the source in resolution and amplitude perfectly. Best example of amplified source gear i have ever heard. The only problem with it and it didn't matter if this was the best sound you will get in terms of engineering. The system sounded bottled up. And that is because this gear came to the dealer completely tightened down. This system would've been transformed with a set of Torex screwdrivers and some gumption. You can hear it in the leading and trailing edges of instruments. Absolute fantastic air but to harsh on the edges and that could have adjusted by a release in the tweeters and source gear trnasformer nuts. The amp too but its huge and built around  stand offs and you would probably need a schematic or a chart to look around before opening it up. Easily adjustable on anyone's system. That is my advice on improving sound quality. Even on a $250k system.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 01:35:15 PM »
Werd heard an expensive all NAIM system at Accent on Music in Mt. Kisco NY. WOW and WOW. Alive, breathing with tone and harmonics to write home about.
    Excellent systems.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »
  Turn the lights off. Unplug the cable router.

charles