Author Topic: AoIP...the new way or a sidetrack?  (Read 2809 times)

Offline sonicxtc

AoIP...the new way or a sidetrack?
« on: November 23, 2016, 10:53:52 AM »
There's a small but simmering movement toward the use of AoIP (Audio over Internet Protocol) and ditching the usb chain. There are several threads on this subject, most notably one on head-fi started by rb2013 who has really delved into the ultimate usb chain and prefers AoIP ala the Rednet 3. The Rednet 3 takes an ethernet input and can output via AES.

Do any of you have any experience with this new wave? Is it truly a better way since you can avoid any of usb's deficiences?

Thank you.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: AoIP...the new way or a sidetrack?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 10:08:48 PM »

Of course the real question is that while AoIP may be able to avoid some of the shortfalls o USB, does it come to the table with any issues of it's own. Let's not forget that as a new technology it is mainly being put out there by folks that are transmitting plain vanilla audio (heck most computer folks are very happy with mp3).

Who knows what will come to light when people try to use it in the text of a high end high resolution audio system.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to poo poo the technology right out of the box. I hope it will work out great for us. but if past history is any indication, it will be just great until the audiophiles try to use it and then some of the issues will start to come to light. maybe they will be able to fix them, maybe not. Maybe we will luck out and there will be no real problems to address.

I will just remain optimistically cautious until we see some real high end audio implementations of this new  technology, as computer folks have historically had some pretty low standards for what constitutes acceptable audio performance. (Which is quite understandable as audio is a sidebar to their technology, not the main reason for it.)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Vincent Kars

• Seeking Help
Re: AoIP...the new way or a sidetrack?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 11:44:58 AM »
I wouldn’t call this a new technology
Protocols like Ravenna (2010), Dante ,  Cobranet, Ethersound , etc are in use by recording studios.
Most of all this is about using the digital domain both because of its robustness and cutting down on analog cabling.
As it is used for recording and live music, low latency is a must.
We do have streaming protocols like UPnP/DLNA.
These are oriented at the consumer market.
This is AOIP too but without the low latency requirement.

I do think these AES67 style protocols interesting but there is little traction outside the pro-world.