Author Topic: Apple TV for audio...???  (Read 7676 times)

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Apple TV for audio...???
« on: December 20, 2013, 07:40:26 AM »
I have NO experience with a computer "front end" for audio.

None! Zilch! Zip! Nada! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Can an old Apple TV unit be used for a 2-channel audio digital source/server?  If so, what else would I need to put together a functional set up?

Thanks!
SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Apple TV for audio...???
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 08:23:55 AM »
you can jailbreak or otherwise partition the OS to allow additional menu options to load other software... in this case XPMC so you can stream all your music and video file content stored on any other computer on the network.  I've done it with original apple tvs...  the processor/memory in them isn't fast enough to stream HD video content, but it works with audio files... not the best sounding option out there, and the remote is awful, but it works.... 

you just need to bite the bullet and put a laptop or desktop in the audio chain and use a USB cable to connect to a DAC with USB capability.  It couldn't be easier.

Software options are plentiful, from free (Foobar2000, media monkey, etc.) to paid (JRiver Media Center)....

Someone recently released a new, free room correction plug-in for Foobar2000 that has been getting good reviews:  http://mathaudio.com/  I'm curious to try it myself at some point....

JRiver has a lot of EQ capability built into the interface that does everything in 64-bit depth... which should mean it doesn't affect sound quality....  too early to tell on that one for me from the little bit of playing around I've done..

I prefer foobar myself, but Jriver can be nice if you like more visual representation of your collection...

seriously, it's a couple hundred bucks to build a pretty quiet PC.  If you have a TV in the room with HDMI capability or D-sub 15 vga connector capability, it becomes your computer monitor.... they are selling wireless keyboards all the time for half nothing.... you sit on your butt in your chair and have control of your entire music collection at once.... if you don't have a TV in the room, programs such at Teamviewer offer free remote desktop capability so that you can still sit at your chair and use a tablet or phone to control the computer remotely.... I do both options currently.  I use a Microsoft Surface tablet and TeamViewer to connect to every computer in the house and execute various tasks, including controlling the audio PC in the two channel room... or I just use the wireless keyboard connected to the PC and the computer monitor I have sitting on the end table next to the main listening spot couch...

it seems intimidating, but once you have it fired up, you'll never go back to just spinning disks.... I've always kept a transport around to spin disks because ulitmate sound quality was still on the side of the spinners.... the latest software and USB implementations have made it soooo close, it's hard to ignore the convenience factor of the PC, especially if you have any kind of high-rez collection....
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 12:42:15 PM »
Wow!  Thanks, Shane.  I'll have to re-read through this later.  I'm on the way to an appointment.  I'll post back soon.

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline chrisa

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 05:04:22 PM »
yes indeed you can...use an older AppleTV as a music server. I have a 160 GB model running optical out to an external dac. I also have the HDMI hooked up to a monitor which lets me control Itunes by viewing the monitor. I also use an older iphone to control it using a free app.
Its really great, and very simple. I suppose the limitation is the optical out, but it sounds quite good to me. With 160 GB I have enough space for my entire music collection ripped to Apple lossless, as well as all our family digital photo's. Way cool.
Chris

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 08:24:22 AM »
A little more info. for everyone.

I have a lot of stuff here that I'd love to re-purpose. (OLD mac mini... OLD "cheesegrater" G5... OLD apple TV...???)  I also have an almost new 2TB LaCie Hard Drive.  I plan to use the EE Dac with USB at 96K in my main system (for now at least) but also want this computer set up to be "portable" enough to use in my home office as well.  Matter of fact I bought a Audioquest Dragonfly on closeout from Audio Advisor. Although, I may send it back because they said it was the same as the v1.2 and it's not.  $99.00 was inexpensive enough, but I have to decide whether to spring for the extra $50.00 ($149.00 total) for the upgrade v1.2 or return it move on to something else...???  I'd like to hear what everyone thinks on that DAC situation.

I'm trying to do this as economically as possible.  I can't afford to spend a truck load of money to get that last 2 percent of sonic benefit.  I also need to buy either a tablet or laptop for my Real Estate biz... so I'm trying to get things set up to use it for both music and work!  If that's possible!?!

Suggestions???

SN
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 12:17:42 PM by StereoNut »

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L