Author Topic: Cartridge Survey  (Read 10235 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Cartridge Survey
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 05:02:02 AM »
Benz Micro Glider MC Medium output
JMW Memorial Classic 2
Modwright LS100 Tube pre with Mullard NOS 12AU7/12AX7
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 10:29:08 AM »
JMW Memorial Classic 2

OOh la la time for a meeting Jim.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 02:59:14 PM »
JMW Memorial Classic 2

charles

Just had one :) There will be more. We played vinyl almost exclusively. It was clear that vinyl was superior.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 07:53:55 AM »
Well Tempered Reference turntable & arm
 Audio- technica Art9 cartridge
Tom Tutay/ Transition Audio Design 12SN7 based all tube phone preamp with separate tube power supply
or Eastern Electric MiniMax phono
Hi-Fidelity Ultra Reference IC's

Hey Bill,
To deviate just a bit from the thread, how do you like the Hi-Fidelity Ultra Ref cables? I dont know of anyone who has them.
Nick

If I had to do over again I would not spend that type of money on IC's & speaker cables again.
 Don't get me wrong, they sound great but less expensive options I would be swayed to check out.

Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline try1256

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 03:51:49 AM »
I have the Sound Smith Aida. It was rebuilt by Peter Lederman in January.  It is attached to an SME M2-9 tone arm on a Thorens TD-160 rest-mod.  Right now I am using the Van Den Hull Cable that came with the tone arm but I have an Audio Sensibility Impact SE on the way. I have a Morrow PH-3 phono cable that I was using but the capacitance was too high for the Aida. My phono stage is a BAT VK-P5 which was upgraded at the factory with the 6 pak plus option.  I have NOS Phillips 7DJ8's on the input side, Russian 6C45's on the output side and Melz 6SN7's for current source. 
Before I acquired the Aida, I was using an AT OC9 ML II. It is also a very nice cart. I have it mounted on my Yamaha PX-3 Linear tracker now. 
"It is always easier to get forgiven than it is to get permission"

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 01:09:10 PM »
  Which one are you using ?
  What TT and arm ?
  What phono stage ?
  What cabling of such ?
  What plinth or support of TT ?
Using a Kuzma Stobi with Stogi S 12" arm, Crystal Cable phono cable [ silver] to Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp with MM phono. Or Loesch and Weisner phono.

charles

I am using an Accutex 320STR moving iron cartridge.
SME Series lll with modified headshell.
My own test phono stage.
my own 1/2 meter "V" interconnects (SAS Audio Labs)

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:59:54 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 04:09:32 PM »
Main rig-  Vyger Timor Arm #1 Jelco 370 arm, Ortofon Quintet Blue,  Jelco cable, Dodd phono pre Arm #2 Dynavector 20x2L  on Pioneer P3 arm and Audio Sensibility Impact cable to Jolida JD9 phono pre
Small room rig-  JVC QL-F6 with lots of clay, Dynavector 10x4, Graham Slee Gold, captured cable.  And a Technics SP10 II  w/ Syntec 220 arn with Denon 102 mono cart to Vista phono pre.  I've had the cable so long I can't remember the maker. 
Coming attractions... a Victor TT81  to be recapped and a Jelco 750E with a Sumiko Blackbird.  Just have to build the arm pod and recap the table- maybe before XMas. 
I know, I've got too many turntables. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 05:07:23 PM »
VPI Classic 3 turntable, 3d printed tonearm, Lyra Kleos SL cartridge, sitting on a 2" maple platform with Herbies tenderfeet under it. K&K Audio Premium Maxxed-out phonostage all connected with High Fidelity Ultimate IC's and TWL power cords.
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 10:27:39 AM »
Since 2011;
VPI Super ScoutMaster with the Acrylic upgrade platter and ring clamp.
JMW 9 tonearm - Signature version.
Dynavector 20x2-L
Stainless Steel clamp
SDS
Optional HRX footers on Ginko Cloud base on 5 HVAC vibration suppressors on a Cambre rack.
HRX motor.
E.A.R. 834 Signature Phono Preamp with 3 smoothplate NOS Telefunkens.

Yesterday as I removed the Ginko dustcover, a big piece, I whacked the base of the tonearm assembly and threw off the geometry, the cartridge where the stylus enters appears to be touching the vinyl

If I'm going to take down the tt to adjust everything, I feel like this may be the time to swap out the cartridge, but for what? When I bought the Dynavector I also grabbed a used Shelter 501 off Audiogon, I really preferred the Shelter for the upper music range, but my hearing in the highs was succumbing to age, I'm 61, I went with the DV. And now with the Vandersteen 3A Signature in house, I may need to balance their natural warmth with a 'sweeter in the highs' cartridge.

And maybe I should have a pro do the install, I never really feel like I had the Dynavector 100% correct.

Thoughts?

Gene
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
Oracle Delphi MKI TT moded with MKV suspension.

SME 3009 Series III titanium arm.

SME cable.

Shure Ultra 500 cartridge and original stylus.

DSA Phono One phone stage or Pass Labs Aleph Ono.

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 11:52:20 AM »
Totally missed this thread last month...

Kuzma Stabi S with Stogi S arm
Kuzma stock cable and motor
ZYX Fuji high-output MC cartridge
all into my Devialet 440 Expert Pro phono section input

I love this Kuzma turntable.   Definitely owned this longer than any other piece of gear - maybe 20 years now?   Sounds wonderful but, in truth, I find myself spinning vinyl less and less these days.  Maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age or maybe streaming has just gotten that much better.  Likely both.

Years ago I owned the Kuzma Stabi / Stogi "s" setup (the pipebomb!).

Loved it.....sold it....would buy it again if I saw a good deal.  Like Rollo sez, hugely underappreciated kit that suffers from  poor marketing.

On another table, I also used the Kuzma Stogi Reference arm.  Tremendous arm, probably my fave of all I've owned:

Rega 300
Graham 1.5 t/c
SME V
Linn Ittok
Moerch up-9
Jelco 750E
Hadcock 242
OL Encounter mk3C
OL Silver mk3A

The OL arms are really excellent in their own right!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 03:02:07 PM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2019, 06:13:05 PM »
Well Tempered Reference TT with carbon fiber WT Reference Arm...

Clearaudio Maestro II MM cartridge...

Specially designed shielded TWL phono cable to MATCH the cartridge and phono input. In the case of my Clearaudio cartridge, I have 220pf of total loading capacitance. My tonearm wiring is 25pf along with my TWL interconnect is 95pf together with 100pf of the phono input, these capacitances form a parallel circuit with a total sum of 220pf that basically guarantees an exact match for my cartridge (and most moving magnet cartridges). This balances the cartridges inductance which is usually in the region of 500mH and the 47K input resistance controls the overall resonant Q.

Extremely important since if the overall capacitance is too low, you would have peaks at a higher frequency, causing upper midrange losses (The midrange is where you live!)... Too high capacitance, you would have peaks in the upper midrange, causing high frequency losses!

I remember SME having a high capacitance phono interconnect and those using a MM cartridge were caught off-guard not knowing the cable was designed for MC!!!

So the lesson here is to have a properly designed phono interconnect to match your cartridge!! Don't forget about that!

My $0.02 for today,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2019, 08:17:10 AM »
JMW Memorial Classic 2

charles

Just had one :) There will be more. We played vinyl almost exclusively. It was clear that vinyl was superior.

I would suggest your digital is severely lacking then. :-P :D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2019, 08:19:39 AM »
  Pete, so true. Most do not have the optimum capt. loading. When they finally get it set properly OMG. Wiring counts.

charles

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2019, 09:03:14 PM »
Here is a link for anyone who may wish to tinker and explore what is possible, or simply check and calculate
cartridge loading.

http://www.hagtech.com/loading.html

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:12:59 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers