Author Topic: an evening enjoying pi (diet pi of course)  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
an evening enjoying pi (diet pi of course)
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:11:26 PM »
Shadowlight recently sent me his DietPi dac and he set it up remotely for me tonight.
https://dietpi.com/
There were some glitches as I plugged it into the ethernet port on my iMac rather than the router and I typed in the wrong password. But D is a very patient guy and was persistent as well. He also looked at my ASUS screen and saw my devices disappearing and reappearing, especially on the 5.0 band. What a mess that is....
He was also able to configure the DietPi to link to Roon and it worked flawlessly tonight. I used Gary’s carbon fiber ic and power cords, but had to run to the garage and find another ic and it was a cheap piece of..... , but it’s all I had. I plugged the cheapie wallwart into the wall and started things up. I was very, very surprised how good it was. After a little while, I plugged it into the Uber and a nicer, cleaner sound. This little thing presents a nice soundstage, resolves very nicely and as the Linnies would say, is quite “tuneful”. Now mind you this is with the el cheapo ic’s from the Antelope..which I usedas an analog volume control....to the McCormack amp and the wallwart power supply. I’d love to have another good pair of ic’s and the capability to use use my custom 16 v linear power supply with a 5mm
jack. But I h@ve no idea what the Diet voltage is and whether the plug would fit.
I’m going to continue listening and enjoying. For a $125 or whatever the cost, this is really an amazing device. My thanks to shadowlight for the loan!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 10:23:08 PM by Nick B »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: an evening enjoying pi (diet pi of course)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 06:04:59 AM »
The Pi uses 5v, so if you still have your old Logitech linear supply with higher amp's use it.  The one problem is that the barrel end is nonstandard and will require an adapter.

Forgot to mention it last night but the DAC supports up to 384k, in case you decide to send any high res files or do the conversion via Roon.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 09:26:34 PM »
Listened again last night. Real good sound and absolutely no streaming issues and was again using Roon. I asked Gary for another pair of his carbon fiber ic’s and they’ll be here tomorrow. Glad I’m trying it....lots of fun.
I asked shadowlight and the dac is an Allo Piano 2 with an Allo Kali reclocker. I guess DietPi refers
to the OS?? Deepak, can you pls advise.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 10:29:58 PM »
Listened again last night. Real good sound and absolutely no streaming issues and was again using Roon. I asked Gary for another pair of his carbon fiber ic’s and they’ll be here tomorrow. Glad I’m trying it....lots of fun.
I asked shadowlight and the dac is an Allo Piano 2 with an Allo Kali reclocker. I guess DietPi refers
to the OS?? Deepak, can you pls advise.

Got Garys carbon fiber cables today and plugged those in. Started listening at 8:00 pm and the bass on the LS 50s was a little boomy, but this little dac rocks. I’m not sure why 9:50 was so special today, but the sound just morphed for the better. If this dac was all that’s available to me, I could happily live with it. Although I haven’t done an a/b yet as I’ve exclusively played this thing, I’ll say my Antelope Gold dac is a bit smoother and delineates background and chorus voices better, but there’s a huge price difference. As Deepak mentioned the old Sqeezebox power supply, I may still have it in a box someplace. Not sure if I have an adapter plug, though. Roon and DietPi are running flawlessly. I’m considering other dacs and reading up on alternatives, but getting a sub and another amp is my priority right  now.
Oh, yes, forgot to mention that apparently Allo makes a better model called the Boss. Need to double
check that and do more reading.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 10:32:10 PM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz