Author Topic: Cheap earbud advice please  (Read 39120 times)

Offline Scottdazzle

• Seeking Help
Cheap earbud advice please
« on: May 05, 2015, 12:02:34 PM »
This topic is way beneath the dignity of headphone enthusiasts and for that I apologize. Here's my situation.  I will be flying soon halfway around the world and want to put on some background music on the long flights to help me drown out the noise of the plane and maybe those around me.  I am not interested in an expensive setup because I have a way of losing things on my travels.  I will be listening to low rez music on my iPhone 4S.

Do any of you know of any earbuds that are comfortable and sound much better than the Apple white buds? 
Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA
email: vivahifi@gmail.com
Retired

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Re: Cheap earbud advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 05:14:15 AM »
I've a number of MEE products, but the cheapest is my go to for the gym and flying.

http://www.meelec.com/M9_Classic_In_Ear_Headphones_p/ep-m9-bk-ff.htm
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:36:59 AM »
Depends on what you call cheap. I was never able to were earbuds because the damn things would always fall out until I tried the Bose IE2. Rather than being held in your earcanal by friction they have a soft silicone hook that fits into your out ear and comfotably holds them in place. I also think the SQ the produce is much better than the stock apple buds. They come with three diffrent size earpieces to help custmize the fit.

Bose has intoduced a newer version called the SoundTrue™ In-Ear Headphones, witch currently sells for $90 at Best Buy. I have not personally heard this model so cannot comment on their SQ.

FYI - I bought my ie2s at  Best buy about 4 years ago and purchased the  2 year replacement plan for $12. if anything goes wrong with the buds they will replace them with new ones (not rebuilt) for free. If it is in the first year they just continue the coverage at no charge till the original end of the two year term. IF they break in the second yeard they terminate the policy, but allow you o buy new 2 year coverage for the same $12. In 4 yeears Ireplaced mine twice (once I bthey fell out of my pocket and I backed over them with the car  :lol:). hoewver my son is a lot harder n his and is up to six replacements and never payed more that $12, which was only because he wanted coverage on the replacment pair (ya think?). I don't know how they do it, but it is a great plan. It works well for the earbuds, but I declined the coverage for my ipod because they wanted $150 for two year coverage on an ipod that I only paid $225 for in the first place. That one did not make sense.)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bose-soundtrue-in-ear-headphones-audio-black/8636952.p?id=1219361176358&skuId=8636952

For a few bucks more they also have models with microphones and controls built in so that they can be used as a handsfree device with your cell phone. (with several models built to work with specific phones)

I know that $100 may be  cheap by audiophile standards,  but it still may or may not be within the budget you have in mind.

Hope this helps.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Scottdazzle

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 09:50:38 AM »
Thanks guys!  Any other recommendations from AN?
Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA
Retired

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 11:13:22 AM »
There is some BUZZ on Headfi about these.
Havi B3 Pro 1 Dual Driver Earphones

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LXRIBI2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=10VARVUVDQHR7&coliid=I3P04RA5VIYVYE
They might be pretty good for the money.
I have them on my short list for Christmas.
Scotty

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 12:20:23 PM »
I was talking to a buddy who likes the NarMoo S1 or B2M - both under $40 on Amazon.  You can find some pretty solid feedback on these on HeadFi.

It's pretty amazing just how many cheap (under $50?) iems are out there.  You can also keep an eye on Massdrop - a lot of headphones and  iems come through them at great prices.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 12:39:38 PM »
Scott,

If your main objective is to get something to drown out the jet noise you might want to concider a pair of over the ear active noise canceling headphones. I have a pair made by JBL that I picked up about 5 years ago and they work wonders on a plane. They  really wipe out most od the noise and as a bonus they also work with no music playing at all if you just want some quiet top take a nap. There are some very reasonably cheap (under $50) ones listed on amazon, like the example in the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Noise-Canceling-OH-Headphones/dp/B00NW51R7A/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1430940745&sr=1-7&keywords=noise+cancelling+headphones

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 04:35:54 PM »
Okay, scratch the Havi B3 Pro 1 Dual Driver Earphones, Inner Fidelity measured them and they are a fail with somewhere north of 70% THD at 90dB and a frequency of approximately 1.3kHz.
Sorry about that. Probably any headphone to be considered should at least have less than 5% THD at 90dB.
See link to INNER FIDELITY
http://www.innerfidelity.com/search/node/Havi%20B3%20Pro%201
And a link to the INNER FIDELITY WALL OF FAME.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-monitors
Scotty
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:43:47 PM by _Scotty_ »

Offline Scottdazzle

• Seeking Help
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 05:08:23 PM »
Thanks. You guys are great! I didn't know anything about any of these models. Now I have to do some homework.
Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA
Retired

Elan Vital

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 10:55:35 PM »
You might want to use noise cancelling headphones, but at low prices good noise isolating pair might be the way to go.  Start here.
http://www.acqurate.com/55810a658a7448bd7e1b930a

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 11:12:17 AM »
Welcome to AudioNervosa, Elan Vital!

Elan Vital

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 07:28:22 PM »
Welcome to AudioNervosa, Elan Vital!

Glad to be here, thanks

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »
I also have Bose ie2's. They are ok in general. I can't hear much from them while flying, though.
My ears kind of 'shut down' in flight. The pressure plus the loud engines makes it impossible for me to hear much. Listening to music is very limited in dynamic range, I can hear upper mids and highs only.

I've never tried noise cancelling headphones, but that is my next experiment if I have to fly again. I don't fly much, it's like a myriad of assaults that add up after a while. But I'm kind of sensitive...
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 07:28:15 PM »
I also have Bose ie2's. They are ok in general. I can't hear much from them while flying, though.
My ears kind of 'shut down' in flight. The pressure plus the loud engines makes it impossible for me to hear much. Listening to music is very limited in dynamic range, I can hear upper mids and highs only.

I've never tried noise cancelling headphones, but that is my next experiment if I have to fly again. I don't fly much, it's like a myriad of assaults that add up after a while. But I'm kind of sensitive...

Carl I have a pair of cheap JBL Noise canceling headphones that I picked up on ebay about six or seven years ago for about $39. And I have to tell you they no great shakes for music, but they are fantastic on airplanes. I even use them unplugged with just the noise canceling feature on to block out the engine whine. Not as good for low frequency noises as they still somewhat get to your ears via bone conduction but for mid to high frequencies they do a very nice job. I never fly without them.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9