Author Topic: these look very interesting  (Read 8830 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: these look very interesting
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 02:39:16 PM »
You are lucky, Scotty. I guess I am too!  But before WAF there's CAF and I've got a pretty high standard for fit and finish.  It has to look close to as good as it sounds.  The sound is still more important but they either need to stand out as exceptional looking or blend in without calling any attention to themselves.. If they stand out looking exceptionally bad, I will eventually be driven to remove them... or fix their looks depending on how good they sound. ;)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 06:41:50 PM »
Carl,I have been using DIY electronics and custom amps built into Hafler and Par-Metal chassis for years and I have become inured to pedestrian looking enclosures containing circuits that are above average in performance. After almost a 4 year wait I have received my latest custom amp built into a Superphon DM200 chassis with a gold face plate. This is a big change for me as all previous amplifiers have been an unrelieved black in color. I guess I like gold, now all I have to do is come up with a matching gold face plate on a preamp chassis for my new preamp. This is my New years project,I've got my Jensen 4pole caps and the 200watt toroid I'm going to use in the power supply.
Scotty

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 03:23:10 AM »
Note that a 100 Hz soundwave in air is 11 feet long, so only an infinite baffle would avoid radiating into 8 Pi space (but it's pretty hard to develop depth of soundstage with that approach).

The baffle step effect really kicks in with mid-bass frequencies and is normally solved with a simple circuit or using a dipole radiator.  A relatively large/square baffle could help with notes from upper midrange on up.