Author Topic: help - my SB 2 has stopped working  (Read 9683 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
help - my SB 2 has stopped working
« on: November 13, 2015, 10:27:33 AM »
A few years ago I had to have a computer guy figure out that some software was blocking the SB 2 from working. Recently, I got a new cable/modem and I believe the tech said that the pc had a different IP address. Everything was working perfectly until last night when I updated Firefox and downloaded a lot of Windows updates. After rebooting a number of times, I re-entered my network password and now the SB 2 shows the old .11 IP address rather than the new .14  The Logitech Media Server also shows .14 as the IP  This is the exact same issue that the cable guy just fixed.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? All I want to do is continue to break in my Antelope dac and put 500 hours on it
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: help - my SB 2 has stopped working
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »
Hi Nick! Are you using DHCP server to provide automatic IP addresses to all clients on your network? Usually DHCP server runs on your router. If so, set the SB2 to get IP address automatically. Then IP conflicts can be resolved by rebooting everything.

Even if you have only a couple clients, better to put them on dynamic IPs.

If you need static IPs for some reason, you have to go around to every device and write down the IPs and hostname for your records. Then if you get a conflict, you can ping the IP and find out who's cheating.

If you have mixed dynamic and static IPs, you have to create a range of IPs for dynamic allocation in the DHCP settings, and put your statics outside of that dynamic range. Still keep a record of your statics if you have more than one.

Does this help?

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 12:09:10 PM »
Put a CD player on repeat
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 02:42:06 PM »
Hi Nick! Are you using DHCP server to provide automatic IP addresses to all clients on your network? Usually DHCP server runs on your router. If so, set the SB2 to get IP address automatically. Then IP conflicts can be resolved by rebooting everything.

Even if you have only a couple clients, better to put them on dynamic IPs.

If you need static IPs for some reason, you have to go around to every device and write down the IPs and hostname for your records. Then if you get a conflict, you can ping the IP and find out who's cheating.

If you have mixed dynamic and static IPs, you have to create a range of IPs for dynamic allocation in the DHCP settings, and put your statics outside of that dynamic range. Still keep a record of your statics if you have more than one.

Does this help?

Rich, I don't know if it's a DHCP server. It's a cable company  modem/router in one box. The tech with my permission, disconnected my Linksys router. I don't and have never done static addresses. When I was rebooting the SB 2 and going thru the setup, I picked the seek IP address automatically and that's where I got stuck. This network is simply for my gizmos and for my wife's as well. I am presuming what you are talking about means accessing the cable companies router and I have no clue how to do that. I have looked at  Logitech Media Server and I can't find a way to change any IP there. I have looked at the Logitech Media Server and do see an option to upgrade and I presume that means the firmware. Should I try that right now as I'm using 2012 firmware?
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 02:47:49 PM »

Therein lies the problem. The SB 2 is my player. I haven't had a real CD player in 8 or 9 years. That's why my wife hates this kind of system. Everything can work perfectly and then a Windows update or whatever can cause it to stop working. She has asked me for the last couple of years to get a CD player again....
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline ejk

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 03:08:15 PM »

Therein lies the problem. The SB 2 is my player. I haven't had a real CD player in 8 or 9 years. That's why my wife hates this kind of system. Everything can work perfectly and then a Windows update or whatever can cause it to stop working. She has asked me for the last couple of years to get a CD player again....

Get a Bluesound Node.
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 04:11:09 PM »
The new cable modem/router must have DHCP. You called it a router, does it have multiple ethernet LAN jacks, usually 4 in a row? Or just one connected to the computer? Is it wifi?

You will definitely need to give every LAN device in the house a power-off reboot. They don't have to be off at the same time, it can roll through. If the router has wifi, reboot wireless devices too, including cell phones using the wifi. Or disconnect from wifi and reconnect might be enough for cell phones, everything else reboot it.

Slimserver uses the host machines's IP so there's no networking settings to change in slimserver GUI.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 05:54:59 PM »

Get a Bluesound Node.

I've looked into the Bluesound Node. There is not much info out there and no user experience that I found a few months ago. I'm at a point now where I have a great system and wouldn't want to blow $1,000 or so on a product I know little about.
How does it compare to an Aries or the new Aries mini? Can it benefit from a better power supply? How well does the tagging software work?? etc
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline ejk

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 12:18:10 AM »
I can't compare to the Aries and I'm sure with that being twice the price I would hope there was a difference. You can get a first gen Node on  sale for about 350 new online at places like Crutchfield and Audio Advisor. They give you a 30 day return if you want to play around and see for yourself if you like it.Everyone thought the Aries was the best but I see them for sale every week. As far as power supply it uses a standard C7 power cord . I do a lot of streaming with Tidal and it works great . I have never had a hiccup.  I also have a 3TB hard drive hooked to my router and I have been ripping my CD's to it. My library is controlled by the Node. They also have a version with a ripper and hard drive built in. It does 24/192 so when I feel like buying from HD tracks it plays the Hi Rez stuff. They just came out with a Gen2 version which is supposed to be even better and redesigned . I just know it works for me, it lets me listen to music instead of having to constantly tweak something on my computer to get it to work.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 12:52:45 PM »
The new cable modem/router must have DHCP. You called it a router, does it have multiple ethernet LAN jacks, usually 4 in a row? Or just one connected to the computer? Is it wifi?

You will definitely need to give every LAN device in the house a power-off reboot. They don't have to be off at the same time, it can roll through. If the router has wifi, reboot wireless devices too, including cell phones using the wifi. Or disconnect from wifi and reconnect might be enough for cell phones, everything else reboot it.

Slimserver uses the host machines's IP so there's no networking settings to change in slimserver GUI.

Hey Rich,
After fooling with this a bit more, I just called the cable company support and asked them to reset the router at their end. They did that and it took about 20 seconds ... and it works!!
It's still strange to me that a Windows update can mess things up so quickly.
Thanks much   :thumb:
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »
That's great! I have been thinking about you all this time with no music. Oh, the HORROR OF IT ALL!

If they reset it from their end then it was their router borked, not your Winderrs. Latest Winderrs is pretty good about recovering from IP errors automatically. Older Wins needed reboot or fancy fingers in DOS window.

Now back to the music...  8)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 01:06:40 PM »
I can't compare to the Aries and I'm sure with that being twice the price I would hope there was a difference. You can get a first gen Node on  sale for about 350 new online at places like Crutchfield and Audio Advisor. They give you a 30 day return if you want to play around and see for yourself if you like it.Everyone thought the Aries was the best but I see them for sale every week. As far as power supply it uses a standard C7 power cord . I do a lot of streaming with Tidal and it works great . I have never had a hiccup.  I also have a 3TB hard drive hooked to my router and I have been ripping my CD's to it. My library is controlled by the Node. They also have a version with a ripper and hard drive built in. It does 24/192 so when I feel like buying from HD tracks it plays the Hi Rez stuff. They just came out with a Gen2 version which is supposed to be even better and redesigned . I just know it works for me, it lets me listen to music instead of having to constantly tweak something on my computer to get it to work.

Thanks for your comments. I looked into the Vault 2 again today and checked out the Bluesound forum. Guys like the product and it seems the support is very good. I am presuming the Vault 2 has a smps which would very likely create some noise and the lack of being able to use a digital power cord is also a concern.
I have looked into the Aries quite a bit and that would be a very nice product. But I'm also trying to figure out how much new cables, a phono section and an a/d converter will cost so I can complete my system in 2016.
So many wants and so little money :-({|=
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 01:09:56 PM »
That's great! I have been thinking about you all this time with no music. Oh, the HORROR OF IT ALL!

If they reset it from their end then it was their router borked, not your Winderrs. Latest Winderrs is pretty good about recovering from IP errors automatically. Older Wins needed reboot or fancy fingers in DOS window.

Now back to the music...  8)

Ha ha ... yes, the HORROR ..... Glad it's working as I'm tired of wringing my hands
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 03:52:26 PM »

Hey Rich,
After fooling with this a bit more, I just called the cable company support and asked them to reset the router at their end. They did that and it took about 20 seconds ... and it works!!
It's still strange to me that a Windows update can mess things up so quickly.
Thanks much   :thumb:
Nick

These two posts are a huge reason I sold my (beloved) BOLDER CABLE modded SB and Duet.
Music shouldn't be this hard. It's suppose to help drain the trials and tribulations FROM life. Not create more. Shame. Glad you got it fixed though. But there's always a firmware update "right around the corner" from Logitech or Windows that will simply ruin your evening.

A hobby shouldn't be that much work.

Bob

Offline ejk

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 02:00:53 AM »

I am presuming the Vault 2 has a smps which would very likely create some noise and the lack of being able to use a digital power cord is also a concern.
I have looked into the Aries quite a bit and that would be a very nice product. But I'm also trying to figure out how much new cables, a phono section and an a/d converter will cost so I can complete my system in 2016.
So many wants and so little money :-({|=

See that is what I mean the quest. While you and everyone else are doing that I'm listening to music . Noise, what noise  ? from smps can you or anyone  really hear it :rofl: