Author Topic: Whats New  (Read 19205 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Whats New
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 01:17:08 PM »
Here's something new, at least to me...

JRiver Id
Id Wiki

JRiver Media Center has been developing a Linux version for some time. They have now made it available as a complete package, with Debian Linux, hardware specific firmware updates, and latest JRMC20 software, already installed and configured on various hardware platforms, ranging from a Intel Stick computer, to RaspPi2, and various Intel NUCs. They also offer a USB drive to allow installing Id onto your own device. JRiver's own Remote control app is on Android and various other 3rd party remote apps available.

Raspberry Pi 2 has easily accessible I2S output for direct connect to DAC without the USB middleman.

Id is already installed and configured, so it is supposedly Linuxphobia free.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:43:51 PM by richidoo »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 01:31:26 PM »
Nick, adding a NAS to your home network is extremely easy, it's basically just plug it in and name it, then it just works. There are many good NAS products available now. Read some comparison reviews to decide which NAS is best for you.

Now if you are talking about running LMS right on the NAS server to avoid a computer, I don't know about that. I did that in 2007 and still run an old slimserver on my ReadyNAS. It was cutting edge when I first did it, but the updates had to be compiled for the NAS, which was always slow, so bugs lasted far longer than they should have. My NAS had too slow CPU for slim and only 500KB memory. Modern NAS like this have more CPU and memory, but the software is bigger now. I think you'd be better off getting a real computer, like a Zotac silent PC with Win8 for a couple hundred, then use a NAS or SSD USB drive for the library.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 02:31:23 PM »
There's been a few threads over on AC about NAS... here's a recent one:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132799

It seems many folks think highly of Synology.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 04:28:23 PM »
Thanks for the link and mention of Synology, Mike. Rich, I took a look at the Zotac and don't quite follow re the device and a pc. Anyway, any investment over a couple of hundred dollars wouldn't make sense in my situation as I have a functioning SB 2. Ideally, I'd like to have a unit next to my stereo connected to the internet and not have it being controlled by a computer in another room. It would be the easiest for my wife.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS