Author Topic: oh my  (Read 11888 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: oh my
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »
Most people who do not like horn speakers just have not been exposed to many horns, and usually base their judgement on hearing one or  two bad horn systems.
High quality horns systems are just so different than what most have heard, and honestly how many people do we know that are crazy enough to do this?

Source is critical in a system like this. Bad source will kill a system like this, my current source is almost killing it! But one can use one's audiophile imagination and just imagine what it could be.

Right now tremendous midrange, wonderful tone with tons of detail and dynamics and such speed that makes singers sound so real, so lifelike.

I sort of understand how horn people look down on dynamic drivers. The presentation is so different and honestly....it is wonderful
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

musicfile

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 05:49:45 PM »
I agree
Once you hear a properly setup horn system it's very difficult to go back to conventional speakers
When I grow up I want a properly setup horn system with a nice idler TT

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 06:01:29 PM »
Any progress on these little 2 ways?   :thumb:

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 02:56:54 AM »
Honestly, they were great but too complicated for my lifestyle right now.
Wires and power cords everywhere, it was just too much.

I am going much simpler these days and looking for gear with as little tubes as possible, I want the sound I want but without the expense of maintaining so many tubes. And I could never listen to SS for long. Although the Titans were really really good!
Just sold my monos off and am going to a stereo tube amp and am probably going to buy the EAR 834P with volume since I am a single source guy.

You probably will never find a dynamic speaker that can do what horns do, and most people have never heard good horns, but I need a simpler solution so I will stick with my Virgo's, they don't do everything but what they do they do well for me.

So the field coils were sold off and if anyone is interested in the horns,....make an offer

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 10:29:48 AM »
Wither thine 375s?  aa

I think they are Edgarhorn 350Hz "Salad Bowl" tractrix horns?

Karl's bass horn veneering is SIcK! Compound curves are really hard to do. Looks like old world craftsmanship. That is a work of art. Especially for someone who likes bass horns!! Are they vented also?

Aw Shit now I can't make a lowball offer...  :duh

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 12:16:35 PM »
You sold your mono blocks already? You qualify for for the lunatic asylum :-)

Honestly, they were great but too complicated for my lifestyle right now.
Wires and power cords everywhere, it was just too much.

I am going much simpler these days and looking for gear with as little tubes as possible, I want the sound I want but without the expense of maintaining so many tubes. And I could never listen to SS for long. Although the Titans were really really good!
Just sold my monos off and am going to a stereo tube amp and am probably going to buy the EAR 834P with volume since I am a single source guy.

You probably will never find a dynamic speaker that can do what horns do, and most people have never heard good horns, but I need a simpler solution so I will stick with my Virgo's, they don't do everything but what they do they do well for me.

So the field coils were sold off and if anyone is interested in the horns,....make an offer

Mike

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 01:20:53 PM »
monos are overrated :rofl:

Offline Face

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 02:37:59 PM »
I think they are Edgarhorn 350Hz "Salad Bowl" tractrix horns?

Karl's bass horn veneering is SIcK! Compound curves are really hard to do. Looks like old world craftsmanship. That is a work of art.
I agree, reminds me of this Victrola. 

monos are overrated :rofl:
+1...

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 02:54:45 PM »
Wither thine 375s?

OK, I'll translate... do the 375s come with the horns? That will affect the price a wee bit...

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 04:39:04 PM »
The horns and drivers can be seperated if you only want one or the other, personally I would buy the salad bowls get a pair of JBL 2440 or 2441's , recharge the alnico and get berylium diaphragms and be done!

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 07:41:47 AM »
Those are beautiful speakers. Love the woodwork. I am in the camp that enjoys horns as long as the horn itself is made of wood. Plastics have no place in such an application. I once had a pair of Usher D2 speakers using the TAD driver and loved the sound of these speakers.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 02:02:40 PM »
If those horns looked any cooler they would have icicles on them and frost around the rims.
Scotty

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 04:40:34 PM »
Those are beautiful speakers. Love the woodwork. I am in the camp that enjoys horns as long as the horn itself is made of wood. Plastics have no place in such an application. I once had a pair of Usher D2 speakers using the TAD driver and loved the sound of these speakers.

don't knock plastic horns - my oris 150's sound divine.   8)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=18368
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=18369

doug s.
(not sure why the pics won't load here...)

And they color match the room to boot!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:47:38 PM by satfrat »
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 09:14:09 AM »

doug s.

Now dem der are horns. Good to see you posting here again Doug.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 05:42:44 PM »

doug s.

And they color match the room to boot!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
thanks for posting the pics - i got blanks when i posted the links in the "insert image" tags.

anyway, these horns are completely unfinished; supposedly the sound would be better if i even sprayed a clear finish on them, but i never bothered; they sound pretty decent as-is.  using a deqx prolly doesn't hurt...

doug s.

No gloss IMHO Doug, the room match would be ruined and they'd stick out. Do they make a satin clearcoat?  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners