Author Topic: I Love Speakers!  (Read 20038 times)

miklorsmith

I Love Speakers!
« on: January 18, 2007, 03:59:25 PM »
Speakers totally rule.  Without them, my system is soooooo quiet.  Rock on, speakers!

Gordy

I Love Speakers!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 05:06:41 PM »
Thanks!  I'll check into it.  Do you find that wiring helps at all?

lonewolfny42

I Love Speakers!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 05:20:28 PM »
You know....lamp cord is the best.....so....grab the nearest lamp. 8)

ooheadsoo

I Love Speakers!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 05:22:54 PM »
I don't know about lamp cord being the best.  Every time I use a lamp cord, my light bulbs seem to burn out in a few months time.  I can't be sure that it's caused by the lamp cord, but every lamp I use seems to use lamp cord.  This can't be good for my speakers, can it?

pacifico

I Love Speakers!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 05:44:35 PM »
try the bulbs in your tube amplifiers. I just can seem to get them to fit without a hammer!!!!

ooheadsoo

I Love Speakers!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 05:48:14 PM »
I notice that my tube bulbs seem to have pins instead of a screw socket like most of my lamps.  I wonder if they carry adapters at Best Buy.  They also seem to be pretty low power.  I mean, come on, I have some nice fat 120w bulbs in my lamps, replacing them with a 300b isn't going to cut it!

Gordy

I Love Speakers!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 06:32:08 PM »
Quote from: "ooheadsoo"
I don't know about lamp cord being the best.  Every time I use a lamp cord, my light bulbs seem to burn out in a few months time.  I can't be sure that it's caused by the lamp cord, but every lamp I use seems to use lamp cord.  This can't be good for my speakers, can it?

This is easily explained actually, you see, light bulbs run on 60hz (ac/dc) and its harmonics... 120, 250, 460 etc.  Well, an amplifier sends out all kinds of hz's, all over the place, so all those extra hz's are probably causing the filament to shake like all hell and then bust.  

Me thinks Occam is in trouble over here  :D

Dmason

I Love Speakers!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 07:05:38 PM »
Those bulbs can get hot you know.

Chemical equation of the day: [Cu=Cu] Any questions?

canyoneagle

I Love Speakers!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 07:19:02 PM »
I find that without speakers, the sound is so, like, open, man.  It is a space of infinite possibilities where the only limitations are those of my own shell.

:D

Hey, Dmason,  nice formula.

Warmly,

Dmason

I Love Speakers!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 07:32:57 PM »
My Interest Field is an even better "formula."

Did you know there are speakers that actually make sound without a box? It is true. I have seen them. I have even built them. Sold them. Serviced them. I tell NO lies. I can write whatever I want, right?  :twisted:

Offline Woodsyi

• Seeking Help
I Love Speakers!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 07:49:04 PM »
Fancy running into you here, Dan.  Speaking of open speakers, what do you think of the new VMPS V60 speakers?
I am a nut.

canyoneagle

I Love Speakers!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 07:49:31 PM »
Ahhhhhhhh, yessss.........

Oh, wait, I'm getting something here........

It has a 'B'

and the number 200......

.....or an infinite variation of alternatives......

Ooooh, I hear it calling from within,  YES, I know this will manifest.......

Dmason

I Love Speakers!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 08:05:32 PM »
Rim

I have seen those; a reasonable entry-level attempt. Various things to correct, not too many mistakes made, but the right idea in general. Ribbons in the open from 15oo up can rule.

12-15 inch HempTone coned JBL 2110/2115's in Ripol doubles, each side, for dynamics. Sealed bass? Someone missed the point. The Kill Zone of dipole sound is <1500Hz, so where the rubber meets the road, those speakers are sealed in a box. Wings are fixed, I believe. At an angle that would suggest horn-loading, depending on Fs back radiated. Active equalization using Rane RPM, and bi-amping essential. I find all that good wood garish, ostentatious, a shrine to squandered human resources, and conspicuous consumption. I like the 626's ALOT; always have. LIke all the other VMPS, in fact.

The DarkStar still takes the OB cake, in my opinion; all issues were addressed. I learned the science, ran through the calculus for myself, distilled the wisdom, and got it right the first time. BTW, Dr Linkwitz concurred with my object notes....

opnly bafld

I Love Speakers!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 08:12:07 PM »
Quote from: "canyoneagle"
Ahhhhhhhh, yessss.........

Oh, wait, I'm getting something here........

It has a 'B'

and the number 200......

.....or an infinite variation of alternatives......

Ooooh, I hear it calling from within,  YES, I know this will manifest.......

The 200 designation makes sense, 100 is the BEST and these are TWICE as good. :wink:

Lin :D

canyoneagle

I Love Speakers!
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 08:13:54 PM »
I certainly hope that you have the ability to share your wisdom from your visits to other realms.
Count me in as a willing participant in this sublime adventure..............