Author Topic: Greetings, fellow inmates!  (Read 4084 times)

Offline jeffrt

Greetings, fellow inmates!
« on: July 21, 2018, 02:17:16 PM »
I've been listening to music since I was in grammar school and had to listen under the bed covers, after I was supposed to have gone to bed. Listening to my AM transistor radio ...
Yup, I"m older than dirt, and, yet, still learning about the twin aspects of this/these odd little hobby/hobbies of ours: listening to and enjoying all benefits of music, and at the same time modifying and changing the electro-mechanical system that creates our joy.

I'm retired these days and so, my expendable income that I can put into this has been reduced from days gone by, but there's still some disposable income to be disposed of. :?

Somehow there's always some new device that's better than the old one we've had for 20 years. Somehow there's always a new aspect that needs attention that we had thought had been settled a long time ago. Plus designers are always making progress in little areas that seem to make a significant difference and at a lower price than we thought possible.

I'm finding interconnects that would have cost me $1000 per meter 20 years ago that sound better than ever for $100 per meter. Never thought I'd see the day.

DACs and headphones amps have gotten my attention for the same amazing reason providing absolutely unheard of values, heck, actually unthinkable as little as 15 years ago. $300 head amps that I couldn't have bought for $5000; the same goes for DACs.

such miracles continue to interest me in the equipment aspect of this hobby, in turn allowing me t enjoy music even more.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Greetings, fellow inmates!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 04:41:33 PM »
Greetings to you as well and welcome! Technology sure keeps changing and we’re fortunate to benefit from it, especially in the pocketbook. Are you a diyer like some of the  guys here? What is your system currently and how has it morphed over the years?
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 09:08:39 PM »
Yep.  You are an addict.  Welcome to the fold!

It is way fun here.  All it takes is input!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 09:55:10 PM »
Good to see your still doing well Dave.  The Uberbuss is still going strong.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline jeffrt

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 07:23:17 AM »
Yep.  You are an addict.  Welcome to the fold!

It is way fun here.  All it takes is input!

Way too true, Dave, sadly.
BTW I sent you a message; looking forward to your response.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 07:27:02 AM »

Yep.  You are an addict........

This isn't a hobby, it's a sickness.  8)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 07:42:45 AM »
Welcome!

Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline jeffrt

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 06:02:04 PM »
Greetings to you as well and welcome! Technology sure keeps changing and we’re fortunate to benefit from it, especially in the pocketbook. Are you a diyer like some of the  guys here? What is your system currently and how has it morphed over the years?
Nick

I do not do electronics DIY stuff, for the most part, outside of reterminating a power cord or dividing up and reterminating some speaker cables. I have built some good vibration absorbing platforms for electronics and speakers. They're similar in nature to Symposium brand, except they're better, uglier and cheaper. I've only made them for myself and a close audiophile friend, as they're tedious to make. An old friend, Bob Crump (he tried a couple and liked them also), suggested I make them to sell, but, like I said, they're not very pretty. I don't have the hardware to finish them off for public consumption.

Current System:
Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player
Woo Audio CD Transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851-D DAC
Schiit Freya preamp
Llano Design Trinity Mini-blocks
  (by Randy White, tube input w/ solid state output. 80 watts/8 ohm, 140 w/4 ohm, 220 w/2 ohm)
connected by Anti-Cables Level 3.1 & 2 XLR ICs and
Bob Crump's (RIP) TG Audio Silver speaker cables
J. M. Reynaud Twin speakers
Power cords - TG Audio Silver, 688, and HSR-A, Genii)

In the wings:
Vandersteen 3A speakers
Llano Design Trinity 200 (200 watts/8 ohm, 400 w/4 ohm, 800w/2 ohm) -awaiting repair (sigh)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 09:01:03 PM »
Nick

I do not do electronics DIY stuff, for the most part, outside of reterminating a power cord or dividing up and reterminating some speaker cables. I have built some good vibration absorbing platforms for electronics and speakers. They're similar in nature to Symposium brand, except they're better, uglier and cheaper. I've only made them for myself and a close audiophile friend, as they're tedious to make. An old friend, Bob Crump (he tried a couple and liked them also), suggested I make them to sell, but, like I said, they're not very pretty. I don't have the hardware to finish them off for public consumption.

Current System:
Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player
Woo Audio CD Transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851-D DAC
Schiit Freya preamp
Llano Design Trinity Mini-blocks
  (by Randy White, tube input w/ solid state output. 80 watts/8 ohm, 140 w/4 ohm, 220 w/2 ohm)
connected by Anti-Cables Level 3.1 & 2 XLR ICs and
Bob Crump's (RIP) TG Audio Silver speaker cables
J. M. Reynaud Twin speakers
Power cords - TG Audio Silver, 688, and HSR-A, Genii)

In the wings:
Vandersteen 3A speakers
Llano Design Trinity 200 (200 watts/8 ohm, 400 w/4 ohm, 800w/2 ohm) -awaiting repair (sigh)

If you make something similar to the Symposium, it must be pretty good. And when I think of Bob Crump, I think of his famous CTC Blowtorch preamp. I never heard one, but it had rave reviews. 
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jeffrt

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 06:29:39 AM »
Nick

If you make something similar to the Symposium, it must be pretty good. And when I think of Bob Crump, I think of his famous CTC Blowtorch preamp. I never heard one, but it had rave reviews.

For a while I had the preamp he built, that was the test bed for all the parts he played with, to be used in the Blowtorch.  It had twin Shallco volume controls, a separate power supply, and dual mono power connections. Sadly, one of the Shallcos died and I had to commit it to the ages. That was a bad day.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 08:06:28 AM »
Welcome. Talk it up we love to talk here.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.