Author Topic: servo controlled subwoofers vs conventional subwoofers  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
servo controlled subwoofers vs conventional subwoofers
« on: July 19, 2018, 01:26:07 AM »
In another thread, I’ve received lots of information and recommendations regarding subwoofers. As I played some particular music tonight, it was quite obvious that a sub or subs would have benefited the sound tremendously.  The LS 50s were glorious tonight, especially with the help of the newly added Icepower amp..thanks TomS...and the Border Patrol SE dac...thanks Emil. Based on what I’ve read and what’s been recommended here, I certainly lean towards the smallest, but still very heavy, Rythmik L12. Next choice would be the SVS SB 1000. Danny Ritchie’s subs aren’t being considered...they’re just too big and heavy.

What I don’t have is an exact grasp on is what are the differences that I’m likely going to hear going servo vs using a conventional sub. Is more information going to be presented? Will it be more accurate as to the attack and decay of notes? Will it sound a bit more organic? (I hope)
Some of you have heard servo subs at shows, dealers or friends homes or even have them in your homes. Is it worth the pita of moving a 58 lb sub with a hand cart and being extra careful so I don’t screw up my back? What are you hearing that makes you like a servo sub so much? If the differences are small/very small, then it may not be worth it to me.
I should mention that very likely I would be putting the LS 50s on the subs.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: servo controlled subwoofers vs conventional subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 06:00:47 AM »
Servos are fast.  Therefore they are articulate and detailed.  I remember the first time I heard them at Danny's I told him it was the first time I'd hear the bottom dozen notes of a concert grand that actually sounded like a concert grand. Specifically, they have the attack, reproduce the decay, and include the resonance of the piano body.  The other way to do that is with dozens of smaller woofers each loafing along so that they have a quick recovery (big line source speakers).
Danny has now moved all his efforts into open baffle.  But in a sealed box, they don't take up a lot of real estate, but still deliver 95% of the goods. 
Ive build several subs, some ok, some pretty darn good.  I've replaced them with servos.  A friend has the LS-50's.  We set them up in my room, and they clearly benefited from a sub. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

djdube525

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 11:55:34 AM »
Granted... a little bit of a price difference from the Rythmik, but was wondering if anyone has heard Mark Seaton's new, smaller 12" sub.

http://seatonsound.net/product/js-12-subwoofer/

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 02:08:04 PM »
Granted... a little bit of a price difference from the Rythmik, but was wondering if anyone has heard Mark Seaton's new, smaller 12" sub.

http://seatonsound.net/product/js-12-subwoofer/

As I’ve been researching subs quite a bit, I did become aware of the Seatons and they have a very good reputation. Hopefully someone has heard them.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 03:56:30 PM »
Servo's are great, and better modified by me.

However Anand on AA swears the Funk's blow the stock servo's from GR away. I believe him. Modified? I don't know. But we are talking about a minimal $5k difference I think. One problem however is the Funk may not be able to articulate high enough to gross with speakers to make it fullrange.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 05:02:07 PM »
Servo's are great, and better modified by me.

However Anand on AA swears the Funk's blow the stock servo's from GR away. I believe him. Modified? I don't know. But we are talking about a minimal $5k difference I think. One problem however is the Funk may not be able to articulate high enough to gross with speakers to make it fullrange.

I respect Anand’s opinions and yours as well. I’ve emailed him a couple of times with questions and he’s always responded. He is familiar with a lot of equipment. I took a look at the Funk site and the pricing is too high for me. Looks like superb quality though.  I got good prices on the Ice amp and LS 50s. I try to be a budget conscious audiophile. 
I’m curious how you’d mod a servo and if you can describe that without giving away your specific secrets, great and what do you charge?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:08:00 PM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline AJ Soundfield

• Seeking Help
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 03:33:57 AM »
However Anand on AA swears the Funk's blow the stock servo's from GR away. I believe him.
The GRs are open baffle dipoles, the monopole Funks are not. There is no valid comparison taking place with AA Anands vision. They should sound different. Maybe just his personal preference, who knows.
Loudspeaker Manufacturer