Author Topic: Help to ID this 6dj8 brand  (Read 2779 times)

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
Help to ID this 6dj8 brand
« on: June 09, 2018, 11:56:36 PM »
Hello to our resident tube gurus here,

I've had these tubes for the past 13 years in my cd player.  I never asked my dealer what they were. I only know that they are NOS 6dj8's. I polished them when I got them and off went the logos!  I've always thought they were Amperex Bugle Boys. Sounded much more natural and detailed than the Electro Harmonix and JAN 6922's I got stock. Any idea what these are?

Paul

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Re: Help to ID this 6dj8 brand
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 10:00:43 AM »
Hello to our resident tube gurus here,

I've had these tubes for the past 13 years in my cd player.  I never asked my dealer what they were. I only know that they are NOS 6dj8's. I polished them when I got them and off went the logos!  I've always thought they were Amperex Bugle Boys. Sounded much more natural and detailed than the Electro Harmonix and JAN 6922's I got stock. Any idea what these are?

Paul

Interesting question Paul. I have many Bugleboys, but four tubes at immediate hand that look exactly like what you have in the photo, "flat piece" with those "ridges", above the plate with getter above that. They are all from a 535 Tek scope that I have, which is decades old.

The first says Bugleboy in white letters, D getter, same exact flat piece.
The second I can see made in Holland white letters, but with O getter. Same flat piece.
The third says Hewlett Packard, but O getter, but same flat piece. Obviously Bugleboy. 
The fourth says Telefuken, made in Western Germany, but no diamond on the bottom of the tube. Decades old tube. Same flat piece but very heavy O getter. Did Amperex make tubes in Germany??

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:04:30 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
Re: Help to ID this 6dj8 brand
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 11:06:48 PM »
Thanks for the info, Steve.

I dug up the old boxes which I somehow never threw away. I can read in small handwriting 'Amperex BB' written on the box.  I can vaguely remember the logos being printed in Orange. So maybe Holland or USA?

I don't know if any were made in Germany, though.

Paul