Author Topic: A quote I liked from Srajan on Sixmoons  (Read 9876 times)

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: A quote I liked from Srajan on Sixmoons
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 03:58:22 AM »
Infinite baffle is a great way to produce the bottom octave via the brute force method.  You need lots of woofer, lots of watts, a permanent installation with a unoccupied space (without a hinged door and hopefully at least semi-temperature controlled) behind in.

OTOH those MLTL's I built in 1980 were 6 cu. ft. and with an 8 inch driver per side were rated to 114 dB at 17 Hz.

My current extended range drivers (Fostex F200A) are rated flat to 30 Hz.  The MLTL cabinets don't push much lower, but help eliminate backwave anomalies and improve imaging by providing the point source ideal.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 11:05:05 AM »
Infinite Baffle.
Thoughts?

This new one is supposedly bitchin. Called "Grenada," from The Lotus Group. Uses Feastrex and Acoustic Elegance drivers. Digital crossover and room correction.
http://www.lotusgroupusa.com/Granada.htm

I'm probably gonna do a clone of this one. My Feastrex drivers sound wonderful in OB down to about 200Hz. Below that the power and displacement requirements grow with lower frequency, but the clarity and better acoustic behavior is a big plus for OB.  But of course you already know that silly goose!

Bigfish8

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 11:33:59 AM »
This new one is supposedly bitchin. Called "Grenada," from The Lotus Group. Uses Feastrex and Acoustic Elegance drivers. Digital crossover and room correction.
http://www.lotusgroupusa.com/Granada.htm

http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/Lotus-Group-039-s-155-000-Granada-Loudspeaker-Has-No-Box-5363-01.html

Guys:

I saw Rich's post, thought the Granada's were beautiful and wanted to learn more.  Well, I found the link listed above and can only hope the technology will trickle down and become available at a price I could even dream about. :duh

Ken
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:36:13 AM by Bigfish8 »

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 01:25:17 PM »
That Feastrex driver by all accounts is sweet, if not expensive. 

Funny how all history repeats itself.  50 years ago console stereos consisted of extended range drivers mounted in an open baffle (the back/bottom of the cabinets were open).  Americans never did "get" the stereo concept, and unfortunately neither did those who mix most recordings, so the market quickly bought into the bigger is better mantra.  Now with the resurgence of dipole designs the mantra returns, perhaps due to a reaction to use of headphones/earbuds (which again there is precious little music mixed for them).