Author Topic: April Jam at Carlman's  (Read 22472 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
April Jam at Carlman's
« on: March 24, 2010, 11:49:14 AM »
I haven't done anything audio-related in a while.. and thought it'd be a nice time to have a G2G where the main focus/theme was listening to records/cd's, and maybe learning a little about who we're listening to.

So, for this event, please bring 1 song and be prepared to talk about why you like it.. It could be the song that got you into hifi, could be what turned you onto music, or just something that reminds you of good times.. or even the 1 song you use to judge audio systems... I have vinyl, CD, and PC for playback.

I encourage you to bring a significant other, friends, or family members that also have a favorite song, and could talk about why.  Doesn't have to be an essay, but certainly can be.  I will play the 'wrap-it-up' music if people start yawning, though. ;)

I'm thinking the weekend of the 17th or 24th, Saturday late afternoon works best for me.  I haven't firmed up my schedule but let me know if you have a preference.  I'll update the title of this topic when the date is firm.

If we do any swapping, it'll be at the end of the meet, and it'll be brief/limited.  (i.e. no amps/speakers.. maybe just a source or cable)

Thanks and I'm hoping this will be a nice spin on things where even our significant others could have a good time if they want.

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: April Jam at Carlman's
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 06:00:48 AM »
Sounds interesting. 

My 17th and 24th are jammed with 3 kids worth of baseball and a wedding, but I will email my song and narrative, and try to show up if I can break loose.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:41:29 AM »
One of these weekends in April I'm going to hurt so darn bad from completely re-doing the landscaping at my place, it's not even funny.  I know we were tentatively scheduling a weekend in mid-late April.  I'll double check with the guy helping me and confirm for you.  That's the only potential conflict I can think of right now that I have on the schedule...  He figures 3-4 full days of tilling the concrete clay, mixing in about 20 tons of topsoil via wheelbarrow, seeding, more tree work, weeping, etc.  No way I'm going to be able to make a get together if its the same weekend.  My back is already mad at me just thinking about it.  I'm going to be full of drugs that weekend :)

If no conflict, I'm all in.  It sounds like an interesting concept. 

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 08:51:42 AM »

My back is already mad at me just thinking about it.  I'm going to be full of drugs that weekend :)

In that case I assume your musical selection will involve something from Pink Floyd or the Grateful Dead.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Bigfish8

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 02:57:27 PM »
Carl:

It sounds like an interesting concept!  I can see it now with someone picking "Strokin" as their favorite song and having to explain why! :duh

I think it will be an interesting evening and I will ask Vera.

Thanks,

Ken

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 04:38:33 AM »
Is this coming weekend too soon?  Like Saturday?  I don't want too much thought going into this.. It's not a competition, just sharing some thoughts on music.  If it's too soon, next weekend should work.

Let me know...

BTW, most of you have not heard the Piegas with resistors on the tweeters, I think you might enjoy the improvement. :)

-C

Bigfish8

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 06:46:05 AM »
Carl:

This weekend could work for us but not the next as Vera will be in New Orleans.

Thanks,

Ken

Offline stereofool

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 07:05:21 AM »
I could probably do Saturday evening...I've got some cont ed in Winston-Salem until noon.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 07:06:34 AM »
This weekend is a maybe for me, next weekend is a no. Thanks for hosting Carl

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 05:35:32 PM »
OK, Saturday afternoon it is!  :) Let's start around 4:30...
Let me know if you want to bring something.  I plan to grill.. and I can do a variety of foods.. meats, veg, fruit smoothies, etc.

-C

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 08:30:24 AM »
Earliest for me is 7:30.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
I'm very flexible on time.  We have 3 guest rooms if anyone needs to stay the night.  If everyone else is ok w/ 4:30, 4:30 it is... and we'll see you when you get here, Rich.

Speaking of drinking (sort of ;) ).. I have a lot of beer at the moment.  Most of it is Dogfish Head and that sort of thing.. but there are some Miller's, Bud's, etc. in the ol' beer fridge.  Please do not bring beer unless you want something specific for yourself... I drink a lot less than I used to so it'll just sit in the fridge for a long time.

Looking forward to fun evening! :)

-C

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 10:32:44 AM »
Can I bring some of the beer still in my fridge?  I've been forced to drink more because I need the room in the fridge and the Irish, Scottish, and English in me is having a hard time letting beer go to waste....

I'll likely be there.  Not sure on Melissa... and I have a guest room as well if folks get too out of hand and Carl runs out of rooms :)  Carl's already proven it's a pretty easy stumble between our two houses ;)...
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 11:09:04 AM »
Sure, bring it, Shane.. just put it in the beer fridge in the garage.  It can be the G2G beer storage center. ;)
-C

Bigfish8

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 01:33:53 PM »
Carl:

I spoke to Vera this afternoon and she said she would be happy to make a Brochli Salad or Baked Beans and a cake or pie for the G2G.  Please let me know your preference for the salad or beans and I will leave it up to her on the cake or pie! :rofl:

Ken