Author Topic: G2G Richidoos May 30  (Read 21984 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: G2G Richidoos May 30
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 06:39:13 AM »
I am sorry I had to miss this one.   I was really looking forward to hearing Shane's Oracle DAC1000 (and catching up with everyone!).

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 06:58:00 AM »
I had to leave early but I made it a point to compare Grover's SC's, the JPS 'Q's and JPS SC3's.  The comparisons were done after switching out all the other cables (IC's, PC's, Dig, etc.) to the best we had.. All top-level JPS, Black Sand, etc.

In this setup, without another reference, the Grover's sounded OK to me... until more complex music that excited upper mids (harmonizing singers) started... It was like fingernails on a chaulk board then.  Once that area was exposed, it sort of stuck out and I could hear that problem.

I put in the 'Q' model JPS cables and the upper-mid congestion problem was eliminated and everything else sounded better as well.. they were quiter and let the music happen in a more natural way. 

Then I put in the SC3's and those same refinements got better.  It was nice to hear the same results at Rich's that I had in my system going from Q to SC3... That's helping me get more from the comparisons we do at G2G's.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a fairly forward system with the Usher's and the Spectron.. It's a great way to hear detail and analyze specific things.. but for overall musical enjoyment/entertainment, I'd find it fatiguing long-term.

I wasn't there long enough to get an overall impression of the DAC but I did notice detail retrieval I had not noticed before at Rich's.  When we replaced the amp in play from the Spectron to the Mac, the upper mids became more natural and vocals sounded more like reality to me.  However, I thought the sound was a little lean or 'airy' and I couldn't really put my finger on it.  It was still good but wasn’t ‘all that’.  It sounds like that in my room too so, I’m not sure where the issue is. 

Overall thoughts…
One thing that I wish we had at this meet was a big power conditioner.  I forget Rich is using standard outlets on standard house wiring.  I think some of the grunge I was hearing might have been easily addressed with it.. But maybe not having it allowed some warts to be revealed that otherwise wouldn’t.. I don’t know..

I’m planning to host the next G2G in mid/late June, probably around the 20th.  I’ll probably put listening/comparing times into some time slots.. so from 4-5 we compare x, from 5-6 we compare y, and from 6-8 we break for dinner.. then from 8-10 we listen, etc..  something like that.  I’ll try it out and see how folks like it.  My goal with any meet is to learn and have fun… And I do that talking with you guys as well as listening.. so I think it’s important to make time for both.

Thanks to everyone who brought food!  Wow, that was quite a spread.  Thanks to Rich for being such a great host as always.

Thanks to everyone who attended and shared their ideas… Looking forward to the next one!

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mboldda1

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2009, 07:47:38 AM »
anyone else on the grover sc. speaker cables?
Freelance Reviewer For StereoMojo  System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2009, 12:33:51 PM »
Spectron is capable of extreme performance. People who value absolute tone over relative tone will appreciate the correct tone and unlimited power. Rock just has to sound good, classical has to sound correct. There is a big difference. If you don't listen to modern symphonic music or chamber music then you will not appreciate the spectron. Few amps are as accurate and powerful, none for this price. I did not keep it because the Ushers and the spectron together are just too much. Both are medicine for a slower system, together they are OD.

I think the stock PSAudio DAC was as good as the Northstar DAC in AB comparison. Steve said it took a long time to break in and was unlistenable before that. I'm hoping it will break in as well as Steve's did, and then we can compare them back to back.  Due to cabling limitations we could not A/B them.

The new Grover full range SC. wire is a big improvement over the biwire from last month. It is more coherent, more musical, more engaging, more detailed. The Ushers are extremely revealling which is a real challenge to their owner. By the time we got the speakers sounding really good they were being served by about $25k of electronics and wires. That's to be expected for $20k speakers but it's out of my budget.  I would not fault the Grover wires for lack of synergy with the Ushers and Spectron. I listened to them all week and did not have a bad reaction. I did notice the emphasis on highs and upper mids, but I think that would be valuable on a slower speaker like the Legacys. The music is clear and balanced top to bottom as typical with Grover wires. The bass was somewhat less controlled than the 5ga JPS SC3 and the JPS Q biwire.  For the price of the Grover's I think they are a good value. I would like to hear them with less exotic/ warmer speakers.  For the Ushers the similar priced JPS Q was better to my ears.

I loved the Oracle DAC. It was obviously better than all the other DACs. Especially in the harmonic details, and subtlety.  It was dynamic, but not brutish.  Gentle and accomplished. Preamp and DAC of such high quaity combined together into one beautiful sculpted metal box seems like a decent value for the price.

We did not compare transports or digital wires. I will break in the Cullen Sonos to see if it improves, but it too was outshined by the stock sonos when used with a DAC that corrects jitter. Stock Sonos is less refined and clear, but tonally more correct. But the mod Sonos is brand new, and not yet ready for direct comparison to a transport like the Northstar. I look forward to making these comparisons next month at Carl's premier G2G.

Thanks to everyone who brought gear, food and those who drove in from far away to attend. It was great to meet Tim and Jared from AC. I was able to enjoy a beer and some wine and listen, so the pot luck part worked out for me, thanks to all.

Bigfish8

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2009, 05:40:56 PM »
Spectron is capable of extreme performance. People who value absolute tone over relative tone will appreciate the correct tone and unlimited power. Rock just has to sound good, classical has to sound correct. There is a big difference. If you don't listen to modern symphonic music or chamber music then you will not appreciate the spectron. Few amps are as accurate and powerful, none for this price. I did not keep it because the Ushers and the spectron together are just too much. Both are medicine for a slower system, together they are OD.

I guess I slammed this amp pretty hard this morning!  Last night it had great control over the bass but the music it presented was bright and the mids did not sound correct.  I guess there are systems where it would work okay but I would certainly advise anyone to try it before you buy one.  Maybe you will love it but I have heard several amps that I would personally prefer in that price range.  I guess that is what makes this hobby fun - different equipment for different folks and varying music tastes!

Ken

Offline stereofool

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
anyone else on the grover sc. speaker cables?

I've recently had a chance to listen to a pair of Grover's SC dot prototype speaker cables, in my own home system.

Most of my main cabling is the JPS Superconductor 3...so that is what I had to use for comparison.

First, I listened to a number of tracks (with my present cables), for about 1 day, then I switched to Grover's SC dots. Going from the JPS to the Grovers did not result in an immediately noticeable difference. In my system they threw a large soundstage with plenty of air, they were detailed, clean sounding and gave a smooth presentation.

I listened to the Grover's for a couple of days...with no ill effects on my ears. His previous SC Bi-wire, that we listened to at last months G2G, immediately sounded harsh and hurt my ears. Next, I switched back to the JPS's and only then could I pinpoint some differences, albiet relatively small ones.

After said switch…I could hear slightly more air, and there was better articulation and detail. Also, slightly more sustained note decay, a little better purity and individualization of notes.

In corresponding with Grover, he reported that Rich had the newer and better sounding SC dots. So, Rich and I might sit down sometime in the next few weeks and give each a listen, compare and try to make some notes, as to what we hear with that specific comparison.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

bacobits

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 06:02:07 PM »
Hmmmm For $7190 retail on that Spectron you can have some real friggin neat tubes going.
Maybe a Pass amp? I guess as I have embraced this hobby for years now, price ain't everything.
I wish I could make another GTG. It was a blast last time and meeting everyone.

Come to think of it we didn't do much serious listening last time.

Since the wifey lost her job (Hanes BS!!) in November she got a new one just as good in Charlotte.
Soooo, the ranch is up FS now the last 3 weeks.
Hey, it's an adventure I tell ya. :roll:

Maybe, just maybe, I can make Carl's in June.

Where's the Picts? No show and tell?

BTW, very much enjoy reading this laid back and civilized board.

Enjoy!!

Den

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 06:04:11 PM by bacobits »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 08:10:01 PM »
Good luck with the sale Den, and new life in Charlotte!  Hope to see you at Carl's

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 08:28:25 PM »
Not being there, I'll comment as an outsider.   The Ushers are nothing even approaching laid back. Every time I've heard them sound good was with TOP NOTCH tube amps.  Sounds to me like they and the Spectron lean in the same direction - which is never a good idea.   Forward speakers, laid back amps.  Laid back speaks, forward - dynamic amps. 

I just hate to see the Spectron take a serious hit based on 1 combination/comparison.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline RichardS

• Seeking Help
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2009, 09:26:35 PM »
Had a great time. Thanks to Rich and his understanding family....
While everyone was mesmerized by Shane's chocolate cake, I got to spend a lot of time in the sweet spot.  I liked the MacIntosh best on the Ushers, but wasn't really put off by any of the amps. Nothing really special stood out with the Mac, but with it in the chain, it was really easy to forget about critical listening and just sink in.

While I appreciate the other's complaints of the Spectron, it also had its strengths, namely, tight and deep bass and clean and detailed highs. The music grabbed your attention. OK, certain piano notes were a little harsh, and maybe Miles' trumpet, which the Spectron refused to make pretty, but it wasn't unlistenable to me, and I especially enjoyed the Kenny Barron 'Live at Bradley's' disc. Sol's 30-watter drove the big Ushers surprisingly well with acoustic jazz. I really like the Ushers. You feel like you're hearing everything, though they're certainly a tough match-up. One of these days Rich will find the right amp.

The DAC shoot out wasn't really fair with Shane's Oracle ringer. It's a really special DAC. The North Star sounded a little soft, thin and recessed in comparison, but was tonally smoother and more delicate, and easier on the ears than the two PS Audios. Then again, there's a big price discrepancy between all the DACs, so it's not really fair. I'd like to hear the comparo with the stock PS Audio once the modded one breaks in. I was disappointed that the Harmonic Tech Photon wouldn't lock between the North Star transport and the Oracle, so we couldn't compare it. IMS, it sounds fantastic.

FWIW, the digital gear was plugged into a BMI Shark line conditioner for most of the evening. I'm sure we can bring other conditioners to the next meet. And lots of good power cords were in use.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2009, 05:01:16 AM »
I'll echo Richard's assessment that it wasn't unlistenable to me.  My take-away was that it was just too much of a good thing for me to enjoy long-term.  I agree the Spectron is a mighty amp and could be perfect paired with the right speakers.

The Mac amp is indeed easy-to-listen-to.. the details are all there but they're presented with delicacy/finesse that I like.. So, I can choose to anaylze or listen.. I like having that choice.  With the Spectron, on the Usher's, I was listening to the details.. and that's that. 

Another thing I noticed is the Spectron did not color the music (that I could detect).  So, it was actually a good setup for comparing DAC's.  I wish I could've been there for that.. I could've gagged Shane so we could have open, unbiased dialog. ;) 

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2009, 07:51:03 AM »
there was something about the combination of things together that put it over the edge for me.  I couldn't get past the thing that was causing a very violent physical reaction and flight instinct to run out of the room...

it was *really* bad when we first started and the Sonos was feeding the modded PS Audio DAC into the Mac pre into the Spectron with Grover speaker cables... but it went to another level when the resolution was turned up by feeding the Northstar transport into the Oracle into the Spectron.  Just a really bad grouping match of gear that was exciting something that made nails on a chalkboard seem like the most soothing sound I'd ever heard.  I couldn't get past that to hear anything or judge anything else.  Obviously a number of other folks could.  What it was that was bothering me wasn't affecting others as much... ohhh how I wish I was like everyone else at that moment.  in the context of a completely different system, the spectron may work extremely well.... I just couldn't get to listen like others did.  I experienced the same sort of reaction here at my place when I listened to the spectron briefly.  I didn't notice it as much because my main listening room is so awful at the moment that I was distracted by the ringing of the room moreso than what the gear was doing (and the volume was kept down quite a bit so as not to be reminded of that fact quite as much).... and the speakers were warmer sounding and less revealing than the Be-20s...

I want to state for the record that while they are not perfect by any means (I've yet to find a speaker that was) and have a few issues, the Be-20s are anything but forward sounding speakers.  I've never found the limits of their resolution capabilities for the midrange and tweeter (and it can even be improved upon with better crossover parts and internal wiring).  They can be pretty  ruthless sometimes in that they let through whatever the gear in front of them is doing.  But by themselves, they are surprisingly neutral in my opinion even in stock from the factory form.  They have a dynamic impact that can be hard to make your brain wrap around.  They have the resolution, speed, and detail of a good ribbon, but they have attack and actual weight and impact whereas a ribbon doesn't hit you with any kind of impact like these drivers do.  If anything, this meet just further re-inforced how much I miss these speakers and how much I want them back.... they do things at their price point that other speakers only dream of being able to accomplish.  The midrange and tweeter drivers are very special, imo....  If a system sounds forward with the Be-20s as the main speaker, there's something going on with the associated gear to make the sound forward.  I've never found it to be the speakers themselves.  Just my opinion having lived with them for quite a while.

I really think we need to hold Rich down and make him write the check to pay for an electrician to run some dedicated lines ;) hehehe..... and if he sprung for the JPS romex, I think he'd actually thank me for it later despite it's upfront cost... there definitely was some grunge in the system that should go away with better power (it was better once Richard brought his unit and we plugged the digital gear into it)...  I think it was masked at a few of the previous meets because he was using Carl's conditioner, right?  My dedicated circuits go in later this week.  I can't wait...

Thanks again for hosting Rich... Much appreciated.... if nothing else it meant leftover cake for me yesterday :) hehehe....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 07:54:28 AM by hometheaterdoc »
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2009, 09:12:55 AM »
God I hope you didn't eat that whole thing! I bet you took home 7 pounds of cake, which is only half of it. Maybe if you stuff some of into your ears next time?  :rofl:

I agree with you 100% Shane, about the Ushers and the power quality. The Equitech was here last time. It hummed so I returned it to Carl. I will be getting balanced power conditioner again whe it rises in priority. As for dedicated line, I already have one in there, need to move it to the fireplace wall. A SINGLE run of JPS power wire would be very cool too. All in good time. Last time we had the Snappers, but sadly they had to go for tube reliability and lack of bass control compared to SS.

The room is by far the biggest problem now. And after a year of incessant negotiations, my wife has finally given in and said do whatever you want, so I am going forward. I have 200 sq ft of bass trap, 100 ft of corner reflection treatment, and 500 sq feet of midrange absorbtion/diffusion in the garage ready to install. I was hoping to get some of it in this g2g, but it couldn't happen.  It will take a while to build it to living room standards and install it so it can be easily retracted for non audio social events. But it will be worth it.

Bryan nailed it, the Spectron / Usher synergy was not good. Too much of a good thing. Even the Grover wires too, they would be much more welcome in a system needing some brightening. For my classical music the spectron has OK synergy with Ushers, but I have to listen around the high freq "attitude" that drives Shane to flee. With my music the Mac is too boring on the Ushers, too much harmonic detail is missing and high freq tone is distorted. On Carl's Piegas it seems a lot more lively, maybe because the mac is much higher up into its power band.

I don't hear bat frequencies like you Shane but we are grateful to have you as canary in a coal mine to guard against high freq trash. I will never buy an amp that makes you or any of the other bats, Sol, Henry and Ken think twice about coming over. Thankfully I don't have that problem. Like RichardS I can listen past that, but it is slightly annoying over a long time. On a slower speaker I think it would be less of a problem. Like you said, the Ushers will reveal the recording but also, every weakness of the electronics. In that sense, the speaker is a little out of my league, I knew it would require a whole new system and I'm working at it, but I'd hoped to be caught up with it by now. The problem is there aren't many SS amps with the power, detail and finesse that I want for the money I have. This is why audiophiles seeking absolute tone for classical music on a budget (<$5k) use tubes. If you need more power like the Usher's bass demands, then tubes are out and you are into truly high end SS amps, like Monads, Pass XA.5, Bolder, to get the unmolested tone of tubes plus the unlimited current of SS. ClassD is so appealling here with no crossover distortion and unlimted current, and there are still more to try, but I don't hold out much hope now for class D after the Spectron didn't gel. Maybe the new NAD. I love the Ushers and I'm committed to finding a path through but it is a challenge.  You gotta give me credit for starting to try new things, not just blablabla forever. It will take a few tries.

Thanks to Steve, I have the DAC and new Sonos burning away on SE and Balanced outputs now with frybaby track on repeat. I'll try again in a week. I did some comparing of DACs/transports on my own yesterday. At the moment my best source is Sansui tuner. Next best is the Altmann DAC fed by Samsung CDP. The toy servers are just not happening. Sol sees many possible mods in the stock Sonos but that's a project yet to be prioritized. I'm still not a fan of modding. I think it's cheaper to buy the product designed from the beginning to do what you want. But the DL3 has a big advantage over the Altmann if the highs will smooth out as Steve's did. If not I might ditch the toy server for CDP. I wish I had tried the Sonos player into the Oracle DAC, to see how well it deals with really bad jitter. That DAC is awesome.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2009, 09:47:33 AM »
there's still cake left!!  That's the bonus... I had some yesterday and still more to go...  I could eat some of it every day... not sure my waistline would survive... but I'd go happy, darn it! :)

I do give you lots of credit, Rich... you've taken on the task and made it an adventure to learn from... that's what can be so darn fun at times with this hobby.... I sometimes get curmudgeony in my old age and just say screw it and get what you know will work regardless of price.... but then I didn't have the WAF factor to deal with in the past, nor someone else having a say on the pursestrings... now that I have someone wanting to buy ridiculously expensive cars with more options than anyone in their right mind would buy and freakin' rugs that cost more than most systems I've done, and obscenely priced furniture that is just going to get dinged up or destroyed by the cat from hell that appears to be coming along despite my best efforts to get rid of it........... well, I don't have as much freedom to spend and need to look more closely at these things just like everyone else... :(

I'm willing to be the guinea pig for Sol with regard to Sonos... the better half just doesn't get the audio PC thing no matter how many user guides I write up or how well I program remotes, etc.... she definitely could figure out the Sonos.  I like the convenience myself... but it's just not up to snuff in stock form with regard to sound quality...

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:33:10 AM by hometheaterdoc »
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2009, 12:10:16 PM »
You're not even close to old and curmudgeonly but I can see signs that you will be a master when your time comes 20 years from now. And you definitely have good taste in audio gear, so keep the critiques coming and keep bringing reference gear to make your point. Your bat ears are like a canary in a coalmine, you will protect us dull ears from buying screechers, even if we can't hear it.

As for budget, in our house, gokarting is starting to trump stereo for income disposal. Richard won his second consecutive championship yesterday, and Henry came in 3rd, in his first year. Richard saw a TV show where Frank Williams said to drive in F1 you have to win every championship you ever raced in, so he's taking that very seriously. They both got pole and won their respective races yesterday. I can see audio fading a bit if their racing interest persists. Both are pricey hobbies when you want/need excellent equipment.

Sol found a way to cut distortion on the i60 in half. He is not giving up on it easily, that's his passion. But at least I have the i30 now, and guess what? I am listening to lot more music.

I'm gonna scatter the Sonos into a full size box and start upgrading piece by piece. If we get it sounding halfway decent digital out I'll do one for you. I'll probably put a superclock 3 in it and regulated linear power supply for starters. It will not upsample, just redbook, maybe a new DAC section too. My family loves the Sonos. That's why I want the amps to stay on all the time, so the 7yo can play her music without asking for help. The hardest part is editing the tags so the Library is easy to navigate. It's not as good at organizing a classical library as Olive.

I found that buying my wife a new car solved many of the problems I had relating to audio, like the acoustic treatment, and sub $1000 accessories, at least for a while. I also wash and wax it regularly so it still seems like new, trying to extend the WAF for all it's worth. But she got the most stripped version they make, still pretty nice.