Author Topic: High Resolution Internet Radio  (Read 22482 times)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
High Resolution Internet Radio
« on: May 02, 2010, 11:47:57 AM »
I'm on a quest for 256K bitrate Internet radio stations.

I've found the aforementioned AVRO boroque station, and I've only found one other - a great jazz station BTW - Jazz Wyoming 90.1  check it out.

Any other internet radio stations on the Touch that are 256K (or maybe 128K VBR?)

List 'em here-

-Mike

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: High Resolution Internet Radio
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 12:17:36 PM »
This is worth splitting to it's own topic. Here's the link to the stations Mike is referring to.  There is more than baroque there too.

http://www.avro.nl/web/webradio/

Deton Nation

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 04:50:17 PM »
How do I get it to play in my Touch?
M

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 06:21:27 AM »
Enter the URL for the stream playlist into Internet Radio section of your server software interface on the computer. I can't find docs for latest slimserver on the web, but it's not hard. TWSS

You can access the preprogrammed stations on SqueezeNetwork without using server interface, but that doesn't have the stations Mike is talking about.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:43:17 AM »
I get to the baroque station (probably is a shorter way) by using the Touch as follows: Internet radio>Music>Classical>Explore classical>Baroque>2nd station down is AVRO

-Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 08:38:52 AM »
... but that doesn't have the stations Mike is talking about.

Yes it does!  :thumb:

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 06:48:40 PM »
Linn Radio on the Touch:

OK maybe I'm a complete idjit, but here goes-
I've tried to listen to the Linn Radio feeds at work, but messages pop up about contacting Real Networks to download stuff and since it's the work PC I just gave up.

So I'm fooling around w/ the Touch and, although I have never stumbled across Linn anything on the Touch, figured why not search for it. Sure enough, Linn JAzz, Linn Classical and Linn Radio are all there ready to go, at 320 kbps - The highest bit-rate material I've seen on the (pre-programmed) Touch internet radio.

I can't tell you where to find these stations other than to search and save to favorites.

Another 256 station: The Wyoming Public Radio classical feed.

-Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 07:26:48 PM »
Here's the links:

Linn Radio   http://radio.linnrecords.com/cast/tunein.php/linnradio/playlist.pls
Linn Jazz    http://radio.linnrecords.com/cast/tunein.php/linnjazz/playlist.pls
Linn Classical   http://radio.linnrecords.com/cast/tunein.php/linnclassical/playlist.pls

They should pop up in whatever media player is set to open playlist files. Then the stream will start.

Mike, your work computer must have Real player set to be your default player for .pls files. You can set default pls player to Windows Media Player or something else. 

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 06:13:04 AM »
Thanks for the links, but I still can't play them at work (haven't tried the home PC)

I download the little text file

([playlist]
numberofentries=1
File1=http://89.16.185.174:8000/stream
Title1=Linn Jazz
Length1=-1
version=2)

and save it to my desktop, right click on it and do "open with" and I tried Windows Media Player, iTunes and Real Player and none can make sense of the file.

No biggie - I'm most interested in listening at home, where these stations sound very good.

I hadn't realized the extent to which such easy access to internet radio would make analog FM tuners obsolete.

-Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 07:02:02 AM »
Your office might have firewall that blocks music. It eats bandwidth very fast, especially hibit... ;)

A nice tuner still sounds  a lot better, if you have a radio station who cares about sound quality. But they are dying out. Most commercial stations go for volume, which means compression and bad processing tricks. But classical and jazz stations in the college band often don't do such pranks. But you gotta like what they are playing In NY you have some nice choices on air....  8)

I have a modded Sansui tuner, and aerial on the roof, but honestly, I use Pandora and internet radio most often. I haven't fired up the tuner in months because it is lightning season so I have to disconnect the antenna all the time. Just lazy... But it sounds great on my classical station. The station owner is an audiophile and mods the equipment herself.  WCPE     The programming is a little dry though. No more Mozart!! AAAHHHHHH 

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 12:24:06 PM »
...... The programming is a little dry though. No more Mozart!! AAAHHHHHH 

That's the nice thing about Pandora, if you don't like what's on you can just reprogram the playlist yourself.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 03:16:53 PM »
When I go looking for internet radio, I usually start at www.shoutcast.com

Lot's of choices with various bitrates.

If that fails, I end up at www.bluebeat.com

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 08:42:14 AM »
I just realized I put my few Touch threads in the wrong place  :duh

Anyway, now my Linn Jazz and Linn Classical won't play on the Touch- Does anyone know if these "stations" only play at ceratian times of the day, or do they "time-out" somehow?

Found a 24/7 Zappa station on the Touch that claims 320 kbps, but what I heard was horrible concert recordinig so I can't tell if it was bit-rate related or not.

Realling diggin the Touch into my EE DAC!

-Mike

evan1

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 09:12:24 AM »
I just realized I put my few Touch threads in the wrong place  :duh

Anyway, now my Linn Jazz and Linn Classical won't play on the Touch- Does anyone know if these "stations" only play at ceratian times of the day, or do they "time-out" somehow?

Found a 24/7 Zappa station on the Touch that claims 320 kbps, but what I heard was horrible concert recordinig so I can't tell if it was bit-rate related or not.

Realling diggin the Touch into my EE DAC!

-Mike

And here I thought I was the only one listening this way. Better not let Chris know. It's a no fly zone for him

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 09:17:31 AM »
I tried opening Linn Jazz on Sonos, with the link in the playlist file:
http://89.16.185.174:8000/

But it won't stay connected. The address does ping. I will try again later.