Author Topic: realised my speakers are old  (Read 11858 times)

rosconey

realised my speakers are old
« on: January 19, 2007, 03:49:53 PM »
my vmps large sub is the oldest piece in my system-
when i built them i had a yamaha rxv1 and the famous toshiba 3950(the original that started the mass hysteria-lol)with my vmps large -added a pair of diy rick craig designed 3.5 ways soon after-
changed amps,preamps and source's but not the speakers-

havent seen a reason,every time i add a new piece they show everything it has to offer-for me the sub and the mains flow like one and i love what they do together 8) been thinking about it being time to get a better cdp but never think about looking for speakers

OnTrack

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 04:11:29 PM »
My Guilt gets the best of me but i am an admitted 'speaker collector' and the definition of old does vary. If the power level is kept in check..some of my older speakers are mighty fun to listen to. Some are downright flukes of nature.."should not sound near as good as they do" types.

Notible old killers:

A bookshelf set of Magnavox circa 1962. They have a 10 inch and a cone tweeter. 60 to 15K and always so much fun to have playing. They used to do duty in the workshop but now reside in the 2nd bedroom. While vac-ing the house, I put on some vinyl on the old Kenwood 2550 Corian base TT and let them rip.

(that reminds me, anyone have a decent used cartridge they want to part with?)

Speakerlab model 4.

Fuseliers.....

Radio shack minimus 25's..... (now workshop duty)

Rogers LS 3/5's ('77) In plant soffitt in dining room. Put a piano recording through them and it sounds like a piano in the room.

old can mean GOOD.

I seriously don't like the direction that many loudspeakers seem to be going these days...but ..I will leave it at that..out of kindness.

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 03:44:06 PM »
I have drivers that are from the 1960s, even earlier.  I crave anything Hi Efficiency and OLD.  

New drivers are simply too inefficient and lacking soul.

miklorsmith

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 03:54:51 PM »
Not all the new drivers are bad.  Check out some of the 6moons coverage of late, focusing on high-efficiency, natural material cones.  I have the same speakers as Srajan and they are very efficient and wonderfully evocative.

There are good ones out there, but you do have to look.  I feel there is a small but significant renaissance brewing, akin to and not unrelated to the Triode Revolution.

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 06:35:05 PM »
There are some fine Hi efficiency new drivers such as Supravox, Phy-HP and some offerings from Fostex, but I simply feel that sometimes or most of the times, they have a very expensive entry point.

With older drivers, you might be shooting in the dark but the out right money lay out might be a lot less to actually make you want to pull the trigger.

Of course things like the Visaton fullrange drivers edge on the affordable, but my tastes for actual things that are fullrange tend to run into the expensive territory...I like those French drivers.  Now, I need more rooms and especially more money.  How many pairs of ears do I have...need to clone some money.

Oh well, nice fantasies! :cry:

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 07:11:25 AM »
I offer that I use a pair of studio black Polk SDA-1C speakers (circa 1988] in my main system and I feel they continue to serve me very well. [I note I've upgraded the tweeters to what I feel is an improved version via Club Polk, treated the internal and external connections with Walker SST, and have a crossover upgrade planned - the internals do have some age on them.]  I love the soundstage width / height / depth these speakers provide with my gear, as well as the vocal and instrument placement. I accept that the 1Cs are not the last word in detail, although the crossover upgrade should add increased definition.

I've perused and pursued potential affordable replacements, and haven't come across anything that has convinced me to open my wallet. I continue to thoroughly enjoy the 1Cs, and IMO, that's what this hobby is about.

Additionally, I was given a pair of KLH Model Twenty speakers (circa 1965), which I've paired with a Fisher 800B receiver for my bedroom system. It a fun vintage system, albeit I was scratching my head when I saw the KLHs have a single RCA-type plug on the back - I think that qualifies as "old" in my book.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 03:51:50 PM »
I have a pair of EV SP-12C 12" drivers I bought new in 1980 and can't make myself get rid of them but don't have any real place to put them. They are like 97dB sensitive so it's not like they need a lot of power. Hmm, I guess I could make a pretty crankin' pair of shop speakers with them. :)

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 07:57:46 PM »
Quote from: "mgalusha"
I have a pair of EV SP-12C 12" drivers I bought new in 1980 and can't make myself get rid of them but don't have any real place to put them. They are like 97dB sensitive so it's not like they need a lot of power. Hmm, I guess I could make a pretty crankin' pair of shop speakers with them. :)

Dude, those speakers, I am sure absolutely RoKk.  Look at your Cat Avatar, it says that the Evs, Rokkk.   :D