Author Topic: Subwoofer levels  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Subwoofer levels
« on: April 03, 2015, 09:11:56 PM »
Anyone notice matching levels with mains isn't much different from low volume to higher volumes?. iOWs match the volume at a low volume and it still integrates with higher volumes on your main's while sub output hasn't changed from low volume.

I've also got it down not listening to volume but just going and feeling bass cone movement  :lol: I know the volume by the feel of bass cone movement.

I've had a servo 15" sub for years but never used it on an amp platform. Got my Nola sub on my solid tech amp stand. It smooths out the response and gives better low frequency tracking with my mains as instruments rise up and down with dynamic peaks. Also walking bass volume, it tracks the bass response with good volume integration. it's a revelation to say the least.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 11:29:31 PM by Werd »
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline mfsoa

Re: Subwoofer levels
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 10:58:53 AM »
Isn't the frequency balance supposed to change with volume, per Fletcher-Munson?

If I know I'm listening low I'll give it another notch on the sub to keep the air vibrating.

Re platforms - I just put my SVS on their special isolation feet and heard the same benefits as you did. I'm sure an Auralex Sub-dude type of platform would have worked well too.

I just found a bunch of subwoofer test tone tracks on youtube. Check em out if you want to feel some bass.

-Mike

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 06:51:06 PM »
I used the free REW program and a calibrated Dayton Audio UMM-6 measurement microphone from Cross Spectrum Labs at www.cross-spectrum.com
 This allowed me to precisely match the levels of the subs and accurately measure the systems low frequency response limits.
Scotty

Offline Werd

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:32:23 PM »
Thanks good call on the Dayton.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 08:43:10 PM »
Isn't the frequency balance supposed to change with volume, per Fletcher-Munson?

If I know I'm listening low I'll give it another notch on the sub to keep the air vibrating.

Re platforms - I just put my SVS on their special isolation feet and heard the same benefits as you did. I'm sure an Auralex Sub-dude type of platform would have worked well too.

I just found a bunch of subwoofer test tone tracks on youtube. Check em out if you want to feel some bass.

-Mike

I have my sub on this rack
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 09:31:59 PM »

No it does not change at all. What Fletcher-Munson states is that as the actual loudness of a sound changes, the perceived loudness our brains hear will change, depending on the frequency.

The frequency balance as put out by our systems is  physical and it is what it is. A microphone will measure this response. and barring any room interactions that balance will not physically change with a difference in volume, but F/M states that how we as humans react to and interpret those sounds can a does change with the loudness of the sound.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 11:27:10 AM »
Acoustic impedance of the cone varies with cone size and affects the f3. So a bigger driver will play flat with mid/tweet at lower freq, and will sound more detailed and more punchy at lower volume levels too. Imo, directivity and power response are less important than high acoustic impedance which feels better on music.